Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 PM

226 posts, read 506,748 times

Advertisements

Got rid of cable back in 2005. Haven't missed it since. I found there was nothing at all on the 400 million channels that I cared to see, so the monthly rip off simply wasn't worth it.

I got an flat panel antenna from Costco that works just fine. I really only watch regular TV for the news and an occasional program. Otherwise, I watch series or movies on Netflix. Sometimes I watch things from iTunes. It works for me since I'm not a big TV person. I thought I'd miss Food Network, but it was something I just didn't care to see since it was becoming more about food tours to diners and cholesterol cities and less about actual cooking. Haven't missed a thing.

You might find the first week or so a challenge, but you'll rapidly adjust to your options. I strongly encourage anyone thinking of cutting the cable to go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
We cut cable 5 years ago and don't miss it. We do not use an antenna. We subscribe to Netflix and Hulu and Amazon Prime and PlayOn. On the rare occasion that I wanted to watch a show live, I went down to the gym to watch it on the treadmill. I'm usually satisfied to stream it later though!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Do any of these alternatives give me CURRENT episodes and movies on HBO, Showtime, etc? I can only find TWC, Dish, DirectTV and Uverse that offer that (and Uverse is not available where we are, unfortunately)

Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM

748 posts, read 1,375,264 times
We have just started the process of getting rid of our cable service completely. Since we rent equipment we have to wait till our contract ends. So for now we have reduced our service to the lowest cost package available. Once our contract ends, we will say good bye to all of our current services. It is a great motivator to get me off the couch! And as everyone else has said, you can see almost anything online. In time, this will save me over $100/month. Yay!

Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Do any of these alternatives give me CURRENT episodes and movies on HBO, Showtime, etc?
No.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:53 PM

151 posts, read 462,563 times
Yes. We cut the cord and it's been great. We still get our internet through TWC, but nothing else. We just bought a new Vizio Smart LED HDTV. It has built in WIFi, built in selection of amazon prime, hulu, netflix, roku and a bunch of others. All you have to do is login with your account, and presto you can choose what you want, no other boxes. The quality has been great. Oh, and another tip: I bought it through Amazon and didn't have to pay any taxes or shipping on it (with amazon prime) and it arrived the next day.

Couldn't be happier.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM

151 posts, read 462,563 times
Quote:
Do any of these alternatives give me CURRENT episodes and movies on HBO, Showtime, etc? I can only find TWC, Dish, DirectTV and Uverse that offer that (and Uverse is not available where we are, unfortunately)
Unfortunately HBO is owned by TWC so there's a slim change that you will ever be able to watch those shows except through cable.

Showtime has something called Showtime Anytime, or Showtime Go, which you are supposed to be able to view their shows from anything anywhere, but I have not tried it out.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFran View Post
Unfortunately HBO is owned by TWC so there's a slim change that you will ever be able to watch those shows except through cable.

Showtime has something called Showtime Anytime, or Showtime Go, which you are supposed to be able to view their shows from anything anywhere, but I have not tried it out.
You can't view them right now if you have TWC internet. It's blocked too.

This is making me crazy. TWC won't even tell me what the price would be for just phone and internet except for the first 30 days. Then, they tell me, I can call them and get the "special promotional rate", which will be cheaper, but they "can't" tell me what promotions will be offered then. Ridiculous way to do business.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
No.
Can't you watch HBO with "HBO GO" - I have not tried it but was under the impression you could stream HBO shows this way.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
Quote:
You can't view them right now if you have TWC internet. It's blocked too.

This is making me crazy. TWC won't even tell me what the price would be for just phone and internet except for the first 30 days. Then, they tell me, I can call them and get the "special promotional rate", which will be cheaper, but they "can't" tell me what promotions will be offered then. Ridiculous way to do business.
I pay about $95 per month for just phone and internet from TWC, and I have the upgraded "extreme" internet. But they do change their promotions all the time, so you have to keep checking. The promotion will be good for a year, and then your bill will suddenly go up. Just call and find out what the current promotions are and get another one. I've been doing this for years. Never pay full price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary