Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: Raleigh, downtown, great schools, traffic, market, diversity.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:40 PM

74 posts, read 183,846 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area from Long Island also. We do not have any school age children but I'm thinking if we were ever to sell our house say in 5 years or so, schools may be important to the new home owner. What do you think? Wake Forest looks to be a wonderful address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
My husband and I have done so much research on the entire Triangle area and I hope a lot of families thinking of moving into this area read this thread. It is so spot on. I don't care what anyone in Wake County says, this redistricting junk is offensive. Don't parents care that they are paying tax dollars to the schools and get involved enough to stop this? This concept doesn't not exist in my area - residents would be outrages and politicians would be voted out on their a&*es for this. You couldn't give me a house in Cary to live in. The idea of my daughter going into a school system that is so poorly run is offensive. I spoke to 3 high schools friends who all live in the Cary area and I heard the same thing 3 times, "They are not like the schools up North, they are not as good". When people comment on how great the Wake County school system is - stop comparing it to just the state of North Carolina - compare it nationally. It is not so great. For all those people looking to relocate to the area - do your research. One of the most marketable things about a house is the schools. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves big time.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
One reality is that people are coming from everywhere and putting pressure on the schools to the point where very difficult decisions have to be made in order to support each and every new student. People need to realize that they can't come to the Triangle and and be part of the problem and then just complain about it and say it's not as good as where they were. That's not productive.

Perhaps the Triangle should prioritize the development of itself so that it's more marketable to people who don't have any children? This way we can get more tax revenue from people like me to pay for the schools for people moving here with children. Afterall, single professionals and those without children are more likely to buy all the expensive condos downtown that generate more tax revenues per SF of property. They also take up less land and therefore don't encourage sprawl.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post

Apex is a very nice area, they are building a very Briar-Creek like shopping district there (with a brand new Super Target..).

Is that the super-target at Beaver-Creek ?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM

353 posts, read 996,151 times
It must be... I was there a while ago... can't recall how long. Perhaps the S-Target isn't so "new" anymore...

Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,162 times
Smile help with where to locate

We are getting ready to move to the Raleigh/Durham area. I came to this web site to read everyones input and am now even more confused. I am not understanding this school stuff. Do the kids that live in one neighborhood not always go to the same school? My son (age 10 and insulin dependent) is very shy and is devastated to be leaving all of his friends here (IL). I know that he will adjust and will make new friends. I wanted to find a nice subdivision or area where he could meet the friends that he will go to school with. Where we are from, the kids in the subdivision all go to the same school. From what i am reading here, that is different in NC? Also, where to live. We are looking at Hillsborough, Mebane, Graham, Saxapahaw. Any input or comparisons would be appreciated.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I've also been researching from afar and have come to the conclusion that WCPSS is not for us. I'm coming from a small town in MA, with ONE elementary, ONE middle and ONE high (20 miles outside Boston) and while I know I won't be able to duplicate what we have here as far as schools, I don't think it's asking too much to try and at least get my kids into a school system where redistricting happens more often than not, my kids' neighbors may/may not go to the same schools, etc.

If I'm asking my kids to pull up roots and move 800 miles, then at least I can do is try to give them some stability once we get there. Putting them in Wake Co schools and having them face redistricting, reassignment or worse, we find we hate it so we pull them out and into private schools--well, that doesn't speak well for stability. If we do wind up having to be in Wake Co for commuting to work reasons (over Johnson or Orange Co, etc.), then we will explore the parochial school route.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieLynne View Post
We are getting ready to move to the Raleigh/Durham area. I came to this web site to read everyones input and am now even more confused. I am not understanding this school stuff. Do the kids that live in one neighborhood not always go to the same school? My son (age 10 and insulin dependent) is very shy and is devastated to be leaving all of his friends here (IL). I know that he will adjust and will make new friends. I wanted to find a nice subdivision or area where he could meet the friends that he will go to school with. Where we are from, the kids in the subdivision all go to the same school. From what i am reading here, that is different in NC? Also, where to live. We are looking at Hillsborough, Mebane, Graham, Saxapahaw. Any input or comparisons would be appreciated.
The schools in Wake County (Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest, etc.) may occasionally assign students to a school outside of their neighborhood because of overcrowding &/or the county's diversity policy. It is the only school district with this diversity policy. None of the towns you've listed are located in the Wake county school district, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
WCPSS was really great for our kids. Thank Heaven, my second and last graduated in 2000.

Growth based on greed has really hurt a great school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary