Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 18,417 times

Advertisements

The type of soil is also a factor - piedmont red clay shrinks (when dry) and swells (when wet) that's also why foundations and brick fronts crack. Don't be mislead on the repairs - when it rains it will go back in place (lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
Out of curiousity...what do you all do with all that land down there? From looking out homes in the area of all price ranges, I do not see much landscaping and I have not seen any pools so what is the appeal of having a big, blank slate of land? Is it just to keep your neighbors at bay? Also, how come there aren't more homes with pools?

Once we build the house on the land we make every attempt to plant a lawn and a few shrubs. However, this year has been a challenge with the drought. Cactus is starting to become the tree of choice.

Price dictates amount of land. more price more land. Simple equation I think. More price also dictates more amenities. Pools are a definite amenity. Community Pools are viable options for many communities. Other with larger properties may not have a community pool because they did not one one. In these developments people like the option to have their own pools. Snakes and rodent's enjoy a good swim in the hot summers too!

Some of the blank land was once farm land. no clearing was required. The owners tend to place a tree or two on them for shade but not a major deal being a lot of folks here move within 3 - 5 years anyway.

I think one has to look to the coast for keeping neighbors at bay. Being no homes can to built on Falls Lake or Lake Jordan we can't really 'bay' our neighbors here can we....

Somethings on ones property is controlled via their communities Home Owners Associations (HOA), pools and garages and landscaping are some of those.

I would say if you come back again and peer into our front/sides/backyards you may very well see pools, shrubs, extra 2 car garages, decks, porches, fire pits, grills, swings, tents, trampolines, children toys, and any other things allowed by our HOA's.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:51 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeNC View Post
The type of soil is also a factor - piedmont red clay shrinks (when dry) and swells (when wet) that's also why foundations and brick fronts crack. Don't be mislead on the repairs - when it rains it will go back in place (lol).
We freaked during our first season change. We noticed cracks changing and doors going back into place when the rains picked up last year (for us, as the clay swells, it seems all goes back into place). Unfortunately, since we've had a pretty dry season, we're in crack and doors not closing perfect mode.

So, I'm going into repair mode on 'some' things like the doors so there is some wiggle room. The cracks, well, I'm giving paintable caulk a try. The foundation, well, not sure. Might do some additional shoring up to compensate, but that's the most expensive route. I dunno how long this dry spell is gonna last, so I might assume we'll be more dry than wet for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
Out of curiousity...what do you all do with all that land down there? From looking out homes in the area of all price ranges, I do not see much landscaping and I have not seen any pools so what is the appeal of having a big, blank slate of land? Is it just to keep your neighbors at bay? Also, how come there aren't more homes with pools?
When you say 'landscaping', I'm guessing you mean the pretty, curb appeal kind of landscaping with lawns, gardens, shrubs etc. Since the drought, we had to delay any and all that. Even the plants we bought from Lowes have gone to the wayside (and hopefully, with receipt in hand, they'll honor their one year replacement policy).

Though, even when wet, I was surprised by how little landscaping was done. Not on the same level I was used to on the west coast. I guess, what with so many beautiful trees in the natural scape, spending money on more for the lawn may be considered a waste.

We have 3/4 acres. No fence. Just land with lots of grass (somewhat drought tolerant, too, it appears). We'd like to put a little country style fence to surround the property and place some more trees on the back forty. We do have many oaks in our area. Very nice. But, our property is sort of exposed to the street and we'd just like to give, at least, the illusion of some privacy. But not so much to create a fortress look.

I do edge a lot, however. Less this year than last, but I like well kept edging. I heard that's a California thing. Curbs. Edging. We have curb along the length of our property, but the front does not. It's as if the property just blends into the street, and I'm not used to that. I'll probably put some low maintenance, low level shrubbery in front there.

Pools? Well, I didn't have fun maintaining it in CA, I wouldn't want to do that here, especially considering what everyone has indicated. Besides, having a pool made more sense in CA, and not everyone really wants one there, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary