Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times

Advertisements

Only aware of 2yr options. Maybe less but you'll pay for it.

I have to vehemently disagree about their customer service. You are doing something wrong. At any time through your contract all you have to do is call up and say your bill is high what promotions can they apply. They will give you money off, free channels, etc...each and every time. I never have paid full price without promotions applied in the 10+ years I have been a customer, and tenure has nothing to do with it.

They are not like Comcast, when you call they actually care about keeping you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 AM

317 posts, read 826,093 times
I have been with Directv since 2003. I have some outages due to weather, but the programming is unbeatable. My primary reason for sticking with them is the great customer service they provide.

I saw a roof mount question asked. I believe they stopped doing these just recently due to some liability issues. If they still use outside contractors in your area, you may still be able to get the dish mounted on the roof.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:21 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
I have been with Directv since 2003. I have some outages due to weather, but the programming is unbeatable. My primary reason for sticking with them is the great customer service they provide.

I saw a roof mount question asked. I believe they stopped doing these just recently due to some liability issues. If they still use outside contractors in your area, you may still be able to get the dish mounted on the roof.
I don't want it on the roof so long as the reception doesn't suffer if the dish is installed near ground.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I am the customer therefore I am not doing anything wrong. When I call in March to tellnthem I am cancelling MLB package I expect it to be taken care of ... not to get a bill the following month with the charge applied. And I am not the only person I know with this problem. Call them to make anchange like this and you will need to make another because it wont get done. But they will upsell you at every turn.

Please give me a break with the "all you have to do is..." just give me the best deal and do what I ask when I call...I have other things to do than think about DTV every day.

The people who installed it were great though.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I am the customer therefore I am not doing anything wrong. When I call in March to tellnthem I am cancelling MLB package I expect it to be taken care of ... not to get a bill the following month with the charge applied. And I am not the only person I know with this problem. Call them to make anchange like this and you will need to make another because it wont get done. But they will upsell you at every turn.

Please give me a break with the "all you have to do is..." just give me the best deal and do what I ask when I call...I have other things to do than think about DTV every day.

The people who installed it were great though.
You're right, sorry. DirecTV must have developed a proprietary technology that does not record a change to your service the first time you call, but does the second time. I believe it's only rolled out to particular customers, the ones who expect DTV to proactively call when various promotions can be applied...which is something no other company on the planet does. Something about feeling sorry for customers who don't have time to review their bill, want the best possible deal at all times, but can't be bothered to take any actual steps to secure said promotions.

Pretty tricky, I think I read about it in the Onion recently in fact. [/sarcasm]

They aren't perfect, but you're coming off like your situation is the norm. Clearly there is an issue with your account, your experience is not typical. I have probably made 40 changes to my service in the 12 or so years I have had DTV, and have not once had an issue with it recording. In fact, if I make a phone call for any reason - equipment slow, add channels, change cc#, anything...I just ask if my bill is as low as it should be, the CS rep checks the promotions, applies them (with no extension needed) and we move on. This is what makes DTV CS so awesome. Maybe this doesn't apply to you, but for the 99% of people reading this thread who have dealt with the opposite (Comcast, TWC, etc) it's a refreshing experience.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM

206 posts, read 310,529 times
I wasted so much money on cable and didn't know it until I realized I was only watching channels I could get for free such as ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. So I bought a digital rabbit ears antenna and get a bunch of channels. I also have Netflix hooked up to my tv for tv shows and movies and I am happy.

But if I paid for tv again I might get Directv or Dish. I think they are both basically the same as far as packages go. But beware! If the package says you get 120 channels for example, that is not all tv channels. 40 or more are music channels, probably 10 or more are ppv channels. Research before you get a package and see how many actual watchable channels you get before you buy.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 AM

38 posts, read 69,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxFanNC View Post
I was having outages non stop with TWC and that is why I switched. You can also look into Earthlink internet. Their DSL isn't run by TWC. Directv actually cares about you as a customer and gives you things for loyalty unlike TWC that only gives you trouble the longer you are with them.
Great! moving to Raleigh and TWC is the only option my building has for Cable/Intenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Noob question... With direct TV - Do I have to sign up a 2 year contract/? is there a contract free option?
As a new customer you have to get a 2 year contract with DirecTV

Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Only aware of 2yr options. Maybe less but you'll pay for it.

I have to vehemently disagree about their customer service. You are doing something wrong. At any time through your contract all you have to do is call up and say your bill is high what promotions can they apply. They will give you money off, free channels, etc...each and every time. I never have paid full price without promotions applied in the 10+ years I have been a customer, and tenure has nothing to do with it.

They are not like Comcast, when you call they actually care about keeping you happy.
I loved DirecTV and after eleven years dumped them because of how shabbily I've been treated over the past two years. You are either very lucky, very persuasive or both. They over-charged me for a receiver for thirty months and refused to provide an adjustment other than to remove it going forward. When I said I wanted to cancel my service the CSR told me to simply not pay my bill by the due date and it would take care of it. Not only a horrible response but also not true because they billed me for two more months claiming I never officially cancelled my service.

I quit entirely based on principle.

But for the original poster, I think they provide a superior product at a fair price. Just keep an eye on the charges, particularly when you're making changes to your account or configuration.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
In the three years we has TW we had about 2-3 outages. In the three months we have had Direct TV we have had 6-8 outages because of storms. We also lost our Century Link Phone/internet for 24 hrs twice.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 PM

596 posts, read 1,239,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Don't see anything new here about this. I don't like much of what I see online for TV from TWC so I am thinking about Direct TV. The package looks better. Anyone have any ideas about the frequency of outages or the signal quality in comparison to TWC? Looks like I am stuck with TWC internet but I don't like their TV offerings.
Just FYI we have on and off pixilizing problems with the local stations, (during good weather), had them out they changed out and replaced receiver, DNB, etc. etc. fixed it for a while but still happens every once in a while, I honestly give up with all the TV options companies especially for what they charge! We subscribe to just one DVR receiver, the oter rooms Free Antenna TV ! It's robbery for additional receivers! Good Luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary