Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I was in an ITB house last year that had wood floors that are irreplaceable.
Many clear 12' oak boards that spanned the entire width of a 12' bedroom with no joints was something I had never seen before.
Where would you ever find such wood today?
And the home was nearly functionally obsolete, so I fear it may fall to a scraper.
You'd think that the market for reclaimed lumber and brick would be huge. I suspect, however, that a lot of great old-growth lumber winds up in landfills. Wrecking balls make waste of structures in less than hour, and it's off to the dump as fast as possible.

I bet Detroit is full of condemned buildings with fantastic old-growth lumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
You'd think that the market for reclaimed lumber and brick would be huge. I suspect, however, that a lot of great old-growth lumber winds up in landfills. Wrecking balls make waste of structures in less than hour, and it's off to the dump as fast as possible.

I bet Detroit is full of condemned buildings with fantastic old-growth lumber.
I am from NW PA, where some of the best furniture grade oak in the world originates.

When I walk into a house with a buyer and they say, "Eeeewww. Oak. I hate oak," I like to faint away dead...

I put oak flooring I purchased from Habitat for Humanity in my last house. Sanded off all the variances. No planer. What a job. Of course, to do it again, I would purchase a planer and look hard for nails.

But, that 40 year old wood was finer than any oak I see for sale today.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
The saddest part is they actually market the engineered product as being better! Wonder how all those engineered I joists will hold up when the bathroom leaks onto it years down the road.

PS I am dealing with the drywall taping seam mess. What a pain in the.....
Dont forget to leave the crawlspace dirt uncovered with that nice 90% humidity air coming in to dry out the crawlspace!?

I guess it all makes for a very good handyman market.

But hey as long as it has granite and oil rubbed bronze it must be good
Well, compared to the existing solid lumber available (harvested from 15 year old pines with many defects and warping characteristics), engineered lumber probably is preferable. At least it takes advantage of engineering principles as far as strength, performance, etc.

I still don't think I'd ever want to have it in my house that cost me $250k originally and $600k at the end of 30 years. I don't think today's construction standards aim for more than 40-50 years of service anyway.

The funny thing is in other parts of the world, like Romania or South Africa, concrete is the residential building material of choice.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Hello, we are moving along with the process of relocating to the Triangle in the next year or two. We are most likely looking to purchase a newly constructed home or purchasing a newer house that was built in the last few years. I have lived in three houses in my life, all of which were built in the earlier part of the 20th century, so I have no experience dealing with builders or purchasing a new/newer home. I have read horror stories concerning the quality of some of the newer homes that have been built. With the rapid expansion of the suburbs around Raleigh-Durham have any of you who have bought a new home have regrets? How was the quality of the home you bought? Was dealing with a builder a good or bad experience? I'm just looking for some general feedback and tips from anyone who has gone through the process. Thanks.
I'm in a Phil Stone home. Excellent qualtiy, he tends to under promise and over deliver which makes up for the fact that he's not a rah rah people person.

Kendall Summers owns Home Page. I met him after I built my house but he has put an addition on my house and is good to work with, and has a compulsive desire to be perfect. I've seen the custom homes he's built and he's got amazing attention to detail.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 AM

379 posts, read 517,424 times
Hey I have another question. Have any of you who have bought a new home in the last few years, or have had a roof replaced, are having issues with black streaks on the shingles. We completely replaced the roof in 2004 and I started noticing theses streaks in 2010 or so. It seems every house up here has this problem. I remember reading its a mold issue and that the shingles made in recent years is prone to this mold growth. Is it a problem down there as well. Again thanks for all of the feedback.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 17,935 times
Climate is not kind to houses here- can damage a roof add in the storms/wind and you will see alot of curling of shingles and yes those nasty streaks are par for the course.

My opinion is that certain Customer builders are the way to go over Corporate Companies such as Lennar/Pulte etc.,

Bottom line no house is perfect even new but I do say get an experienced agent that has been here for decades-they will give you the scoop on the area builders etc.,

Old 08-10-2013, 09:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Hey I have another question. Have any of you who have bought a new home in the last few years, or have had a roof replaced, are having issues with black streaks on the shingles. We completely replaced the roof in 2004 and I started noticing theses streaks in 2010 or so. It seems every house up here has this problem. I remember reading its a mold issue and that the shingles made in recent years is prone to this mold growth. Is it a problem down there as well. Again thanks for all of the feedback.
Yes. It's a problem down here, too.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It is algae growth. Actually, algae poop is what you see.
Stains do not compromise the roof's service life, but are cosmetic.
They can be washed away.

Read the first tech bulletin at the link below for more info:
ARMA - Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association | Technical Bulletins

Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 PM

379 posts, read 517,424 times
So I will be power washing the roof before I put the for sale sign on the lawn, awesome!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
So I will be power washing the roof before I put the for sale sign on the lawn, awesome!!!
No "power" wash. A light spray with the right chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary