Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:21 PM

43 posts, read 96,807 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in or around downtown Cary? If so, what are your thoughts on the area? Are the neighborhoods family friendly? How is the resale value? Is it safe around Dunham park? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of restaurants or bars in downtown Cary. What is the city's plan to build up downtown?

We move down next month and this is one of the areas that we really liked when we were down to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 12:24 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Maybe you can get Lamishra on here to tell you about Dunham Park area.
Personally, I would not have any worries.
Irongate, Coronado Village, Greenwood Forest, etc, all are affordable, pretty neighborhoods.

Town of Cary is spending many $millions to redevelop downtown areas, and has support of many residents. There are shops and restaurants, but too many are underfunded and do not survive. Hoping that increased traffic with the new park and the Cary Arts Center will support more life.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM

43 posts, read 96,807 times
Thanks for the quick response Mike. What types of people live in downtown Cary.. Coronado Village in particular? We really liked that neighborhood. Are there many young families? More older families or retirees or a mix?

Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM

167 posts, read 304,046 times
When you said down town Cary ? Are you talking about in walking of the main down town area? We live a few block out near the Maynard/Harrison intersection, We been here 6 yrs and love it ,We have t 2 school age children .We live being close to the Parks and the Art Center, I see the downtown area growing several stores have open and some left , You will not see lot of Bars etc in the Center of town which we like If you want that you can always just drive to downtown Raleigh, Cary is a very safe place to live/they do have lot of reg, you must go by but it keep the area clean and safe , Just check out the area you want to live and visit the area over several time before you move as in weekend life is drifferent and week day in some area , I think Cary one of the Best place to live and raise a family !

Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,962 times
That is a very safe area and close to lots of things a huge Harris Teeter is being built close by, Cary Elementary is a great school, Mac's Tavern is a good place to hang out. It will probably be a mix of young families, ones with high school age kids and older empty nesters. I think the resale value is also good houses seem to sell quickly and no HOAs.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmore1 View Post
You will not see lot of Bars etc in the Center of town which we like If you want that you can always just drive to downtown Raleigh,
I love DT Cary, and would have lived closer in if I could, instead I'm about 4 miles out, off of Cary Pkwy. It's a safe place, with lots of nice shops, restaurants, and even a few bars.

Right in DT, there is even Cary's own Nudie-Bar (Pure Gold). I've never stepped foot inside, but sure enough, it's there, and seems to keep to itself. There is also The Train Station, The Upper Deck, and Woodies right in town, and several, several, several other bars within a few mile radius (eg: inside Maynard).

It's a great place, and offers everything (and aparrently more) the OP is looking for.

PUMKIN: Where is there a giant HT going in? I know of the one on Harrison and Maynard, but no others... Do tell! :-)

Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I love DT Cary, and would have lived closer in if I could, instead I'm about 4 miles out, off of Cary Pkwy. It's a safe place, with lots of nice shops, restaurants, and even a few bars.

Right in DT, there is even Cary's own Nudie-Bar (Pure Gold). I've never stepped foot inside, but sure enough, it's there, and seems to keep to itself. There is also The Train Station, The Upper Deck, and Woodies right in town, and several, several, several other bars within a few mile radius (eg: inside Maynard).

It's a great place, and offers everything (and aparrently more) the OP is looking for.

PUMKIN: Where is there a giant HT going in? I know of the one on Harrison and Maynard, but no others... Do tell! :-)
The giant HT is going in where Galaxy Theater was removed. Heaven and Earth torn asunder at that location.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I'm a mile from "official" dowtown Cary and we LOVE IT here. It's very family friendly and diverse in so many ways (age, class, race etc). Schools are good and Cary Swim Club is right across the street from Dunham Park, giant Harris Teeter going in on the other side, a new Planet Fitness is going in, an ABC store (important!), tennis courts at Dunham Park. It's a generally safe area, my kids walk to school, the pool and around downtown to grab a hot dog at Ashworth's or a cupcake from Blue Moon. The Final Friday Art Loop is picking up momentum.
Dunham park area is fine and safe. There are plenty of bars and restaurants around that area, not all located exactly on the grid but within one or two miles. Mac's Tavern is always packed and its right behond "dad" Dunham park. Hibernian, Train Station, Upper Deck, Spirits, Maximillian's, Woody's, Mac's, Un'vined, Spirits. I can go on...
There's a huge re-vitalization effort effort downtown with a new 7 acre park going in right up the street from Dunham Park (you can see the plans online). A new library is being planned, rebuilding of an old theater, the awesome Art Center with plenty of visual and performing Arts every weekend, outdoor concerts and music, a new coffee house and bakery going in across from the Art Center, a new brewery going in on the west side of downtown, new art galleries opening up constantly, a small farmer's market, several community pocket gardens, close to lots and lots of ethnic food and stores...lots going on and things are finally starting to happen. It's exciting for those of us who live here and are looking forward to having a safe, ecletic, vibrant and walkable downtown!

Last edited by lamishra; 08-09-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,962 times
Like Mike said Myghost the new HT will be in the former Galaxy theater location corner of Maynard and Cary Towne Blvd. There has been a big area cleared don't know if the entire site is going to be HT or if there are other businesses coming in too. Do you know Mike?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 PM

226 posts, read 506,913 times
Wait...there's a downtown Cary? I thought it was Crossroads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary