Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 AM

31 posts, read 78,423 times

Advertisements

I know this question was proposed but it was in regards to NJ, NY area. I would like to know if anyone from CA has regreted moving out to NC. I am born and raised in Northern California and am currently living in San Jose. My husband & I visited NC in October and found it to be lovely! It is hands down the prettiest state I have ever seen. We are about 99% sure we are moving to NC next year, but would like some honest feedback about the area. For those that have made the move from CA to NC, here are a few questions for you:
-Would you do it again?
-Was it hard to adjust to the slower pace of life?
-Do you find that you have more spendable cash?
-What don't you like about the Raleigh area?

And I welcome anyone's comments on this subject. I am really on the fence about this. I know that financially it is in the best interest for my family, but am so scared that I will get out there and regret it.

All, thanks for your replies on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 20,780 times
My husband wants to move there but we've never been, no friends or family in or around the area. Can you suggest a place we can stay during our visit planned for 09. By the way we are from Los Angeles

Old 11-12-2007, 11:39 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Just moved to Durham from LA - been in the area a total of three days so far so my opinion won't help you too much yet

I can say with confidence that driving around looking at houses and prices makes me giddy.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:45 AM

151 posts, read 462,580 times
Default We moved from Los Angeles and love it!

My husband and I are both in IT and worked in entertainment in Los Angeles for about 7 years. When we had children, we decided to move for a better quality of life for them. We moved just a year ago and love it out here! We were both able to find jobs right away and bought a house with some acreage - which we would never have been able to do in LA. Our salaries are actually comparable too.

We lived in Marina Del Rey and commuted to Burbank, which really sucked (over 2 hour commute home sometimes) and now our commute is just about 20 minutes, and where we are there is no (i mean no!) rush hour, none what-so-ever. (We take the 85 from Durham to Northside)

I dont feel it's slower down here either, because it's so much easier to get to places, you can actually do more on weekends. I found in CA we just stuck around home, but here we can go up to virginia or down to south carolina pretty easily. We also have mountains and oceans here that are easily reached.

It does get a little colder here - but I am warming up to sweater season!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Just moved to Durham from LA - been in the area a total of three days so far so my opinion won't help you too much yet

I can say with confidence that driving around looking at houses and prices makes me giddy.
Hi Sneezecake. Please keep me posted on your view of the area. Also, what made you decide to move to NC?

Seriously! The house prices compared to CA is like being in a candy shop and having all the candy for free! Seems too good to be true!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger745i View Post
My husband wants to move there but we've never been, no friends or family in or around the area. Can you suggest a place we can stay during our visit planned for 09. By the way we are from Los Angeles
Hi there, we stayed at the Marriott Crabtree in Raleigh. It is a very nice hotel and seemed pretty central to most things/areas. What is making you consider moving out there? We would be in the same boat. No friends or family out there. And I think that is what is holding me back. Leaving my parents and my grandparents is extremely hard. And I have two young children and feel bad taking them from their grandparents. But also, want to do better for them and we can't do that in CA. It's such a hard decision. Good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Well, this is more of my husbands dream/desire. I'm just tagging along sort of speak. While both of us are fed up with the gang volience, high cost of real estate and demographics of our community, I feel as though we are being forced out. Currently, our home is worth about $405,000.00 but if I want to move to a safer area it would cost about $700,000 to 900,000 and we cannot afford this. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Hi Christmasgal,

what are the housing prices like? I am interested in 3bedrms, 2baths, deck and hugh back yard.

ginger745i

Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
I moved to Durham from SoCal almost 2 years ago. Don't regret it.

Yes, it's slower, but I travel alot, so it's actually kind of nice to come home to a slower area.

The biggest plus I've found is being able to buy and furnish the house I want without having to compromise. I also really like my neighborhood.

The 'downsides' for me are mainly shopping. I'm used to being able to find really unique shops and things in LA (especially in the 'eco friendly' range) and that's not really big here (yet).

Also, the restaurants (especially healthy ones) are VERY lacking. VERY.

All in all, however, I like it.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 33,476 times
My husband and I just relocated here a year ago from Tampa, FL. We are very happy with our decision. We live in the Park at Langston in Apex/Cary area and our neighbors are from; Kansas, Texas, California, NJ, NY, Penn, and they love it too. When you begin your house hunting you will be pleased with the inventory of custom homes with huge backyards. The hardest part is narrowing down your search criteria to the area you want to be in because there is so much development going on and it is very overwhelming. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary