Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

The guy I used when we arrived last year isn't someone that I want to use again (he was pretty useless). I know what I can purchase on the exchange, and I know I won't qualify for a subsidy. And I know there are at least six other insurance companies that are offering plans outside of the exchange.

Can anyone recommend a broker who is seriously up to date on the current mess and might be able to help me weed through the off-exchange plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Can anyone recommend a broker who is seriously up to date on the current mess and might be able to help me weed through the off-exchange plans?
I sent you a private message. I hope this guy can help.

Otherwise, is there a way you could fore-go (or defer) some income in order to qualify for a subsidy?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Otherwise, is there a way you could fore-go (or defer) some income in order to qualify for a subsidy?
In our situation, no. Unless we chose to put all of our invested money outside of IRA's and buy CD's that earn nothing. Which would be foolish.

Also keep in mind that eventually, that deferred income will catch up and we'll be in the same place again.

(I'd also add that I don't feel that I should have to defer income that I am rightly entitled to just to get a government subsidy to help pay for the increased costs of a policy that is replacing my current policy that I like, but that the government doesn't think is 'right' for me. But that's politics and OT.)

Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In our situation, no. Unless we chose to put all of our invested money outside of IRA's and buy CD's that earn nothing. Which would be foolish.

Also keep in mind that eventually, that deferred income will catch up and we'll be in the same place again.

(I'd also add that I don't feel that I should have to defer income that I am rightly entitled to just to get a government subsidy to help pay for the increased costs of a policy that is replacing my current policy that I like, but that the government doesn't think is 'right' for me. But that's politics and OT.)
Now you "know" the government is looking out for your best interest!!!
I'm in the same situation but will probably hold out a few more weeks to see if anything shakes out. I don't plan on using a broker.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I keep putting off deciding about keeping my grandfathered BCBS plan or finding a new plan on the exchange..

What is the timing of how long I have to make this decsion?? Does anyone know..

Old 11-06-2013, 07:24 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I keep putting off deciding about keeping my grandfathered BCBS plan or finding a new plan on the exchange..

What is the timing of how long I have to make this decsion?? Does anyone know..
Did BCBSNC send you a letter with information?

BSBCNC said in a letter to me dated Sept 23rd that they need to receive policy updates by Dec 15th 2013 for them to be effective on January 1, 2014.

And in the same letter, they told me what plan was closest to my plan and that I would be automatically enrolled in said plan if I did not make any changes.

So...if I want to make a change, then I need to do it by Dec 15th, 2013. And I can make that change on their website without needing to go on the exchange.

I personally would be nervous about leaving it to the last minute if you use the exchange to make the choice related to the issues the website has been having. And if they didn't send you a letter, I would call them or go to bcbsnc.com/renew to see if that provides you with more detail.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
Just a heads up that there have been numerous reports of insurance companies offering renewals to customers outside the exchanges that are worse deals than what is available on the exchange. Don't know if that is the case here with BCBS, but it would not surprise me.

Special Investigation: How Insurers Are Hiding Obamacare Benefits From Customers

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
Did BCBSNC send you a letter with information?

BSBCNC said in a letter to me dated Sept 23rd that they need to receive policy updates by Dec 15th 2013 for them to be effective on January 1, 2014.

And in the same letter, they told me what plan was closest to my plan and that I would be automatically enrolled in said plan if I did not make any changes.

So...if I want to make a change, then I need to do it by Dec 15th, 2013. And I can make that change on their website without needing to go on the exchange.

I personally would be nervous about leaving it to the last minute if you use the exchange to make the choice related to the issues the website has been having. And if they didn't send you a letter, I would call them or go to bcbsnc.com/renew to see if that provides you with more detail.
The letter I got said mine was grandfathered and doing nothing would continue mine.
I thought I heard on the news that the deadline to enroll with the exchange this year was extended until spring...

Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Just a heads up that there have been numerous reports of insurance companies offering renewals to customers outside the exchanges that are worse deals than what is available on the exchange. Don't know if that is the case here with BCBS, but it would not surprise me.

Special Investigation: How Insurers Are Hiding Obamacare Benefits From Customers
I didn't read the article (yet), but would absolutely agree that buying insurance off the exchange is not necessarily the best solution for all. The single MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is that if you do not buy through the exchange, you will not get a subsidy (if you qualify for a subsidy). Some less than ethical brokers are no doubt clouding this point, I suspect.

According to what the told me, BCBS-NC is not selling ANY individual policies outside those offered on the exchange (except grandfathered policies).

Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The letter I got said mine was grandfathered and doing nothing would continue mine.
I thought I heard on the news that the deadline to enroll with the exchange this year was extended until spring...
The deadline to enroll in a policy under the exchange has always been March 31, 2014 - an extension beyond 12/31 for this year only (supposedly).

There have been discussions about extending it further or eliminating the mandate for enrollment for this year, but who knows where any of that is going to go.

If you have grandfathered policy, I'd certainly encourage you to compare it with what you can get on the exchange. Make an educated decision about what is best for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary