U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2006, 04:30 PM

312 posts, read 1,702,949 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been offered a job as a rural carrier and they wanted me to start this November. I have to use my own vehicle. I wasn't sure if I'm going to accept the job because I've heard so many negative things about the Post Office jobs.

I was told by the interviewer that the job is not career (no benefit, etc) and it may take me anywhere between 2 to 6 years to become a permanent carrier. Now, I was told by someone (outside of NC) that the carriers there got let go and re-hire people to replace them, so they don't have to create permanent positions.

What concerns me is that alot of people who worked there were unhappy with their jobs. I have no clue why. I was wondering if you could tell me more about this, if you or someone you knew worked (or working) for Postal.

I don't want to make mistake and work for nothing (to be let go after 2 years?) I just want to hear from you and get the ideas what's the inside story.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 PM

312 posts, read 1,702,949 times
Anyone? I hope to hear the answers soon.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:06 PM

311 posts, read 549,661 times
cakeprincess, the only rural carrier I know works in a P.O. in Clayton and absolutely hates it....I think it has a lot to do with the people that are working there. Maybe you will be lucky with the one you are thinking about. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 AM

4,963 posts, read 3,930,678 times
Hi there
I got a permament job with the usps here in NY oh about 2 years ago. I loved the job ; jsut loved it even if it was walking 7-8 miles a day.
But I hated the supervisor. Within a week she expected me to do the job in the same time that the old mailman had done it ; he had done it for over 10 years. She gave the guys a break ; hated the women working there.
So I quit. Be careful ; if it is a temp job, they WILL leave you go on day 89 ; it happens over and over again.
dorothy

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 34,808 times
Default post office

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
Hi, I've been offered a job as a rural carrier and they wanted me to start this November. I have to use my own vehicle. I wasn't sure if I'm going to accept the job because I've heard so many negative things about the Post Office jobs.

I was told by the interviewer that the job is not career (no benefit, etc) and it may take me anywhere between 2 to 6 years to become a permanent carrier. Now, I was told by someone (outside of NC) that the carriers there got let go and re-hire people to replace them, so they don't have to create permanent positions.

What concerns me is that alot of people who worked there were unhappy with their jobs. I have no clue why. I was wondering if you could tell me more about this, if you or someone you knew worked (or working) for Postal.

I don't want to make mistake and work for nothing (to be let go after 2 years?) I just want to hear from you and get the ideas what's the inside story.

Thanks.
I got a job as a trc have been on the job 6 weeks the problem for a rural carrier is your route has a estimated time, those are the hours you get paid for, if you take longer than the estimated time you work those hours, for free. That is why people don't like their jobs. jancan

Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,745,501 times
Cakeprincess, I am not familiar with the way rural carriers work-I am a city carrier and we don't have rurals in my station. Are you being offered an RCA job? Like, you sub for a rural carrier on their days off? I know those are not career, but I don't think they have to be let go in a certain time (like a casual or a TE does).

The USPS has to follow its' contract with the rural carriers union, as far as these things go, and filling/creating positions and such. Hmm, you might could give the rural carriers union a phone call and ask, telling them what the interviewer told you-they could probably give you helpful info. They know the contract and how these things work.

As far as liking the job-like I mentioned, I'm city, not rural-I like my job a lot and hope to stay till retirement. I think it is a good career. I hope you can get in permanent-Good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 17,169 times
Wink I work for the post office

I have been a non employee RCA for almost 3 yrs, I do use my own car also, it sucks if you have problems you have to fix them yourself, you get so much money for the route depending on how long it is, nothing else.
Its good pay but no benefits.
I am having alot of trouble now with the WOMEN I work with they are all snobbs and give you the hardest days possible which are Mondays and the day after a holiday.
I am not the kind of person to be told what to do letalone have to be at there beckon call. We get no notice if they call in and have to be available 6 days a week. If you get lucky the office you are considering will give you a day which isn't Monday and let you know in advance when they might need you.
Sorry for running off at the mouth but there isn't no work out there and I'm kinda stuck there now.
Once you get your 90 days you can transfer to other office or sub to pick up more hours
Hope this helps
[MOD] email removed [/MOD]

Last edited by autumngal; 03-30-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 34,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jancan View Post
I got a job as a trc have been on the job 6 weeks the problem for a rural carrier is your route has a estimated time, those are the hours you get paid for, if you take longer than the estimated time you work those hours, for free. That is why people don't like their jobs. jancan
I have now been at this job 20 weeks still have not made the estimated time on this route. Get screwed over everyday I work for them. I have gotten close on light mail volume days.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,495,293 times
Career jobs are hard to find but are the ones to shoot for.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 16,662 times
Default Re: rural carrier jobs

Being a rural carrier isn't easy but is, by far, the best job in the USPS. More depends on the person for whom you are carrying than the job itself...face it, its a glorified paper route. same thing every day...no one can reasonably expect a sub to carry the route in the same time frame as the regular carrier and as long as you don't break the 5:00 window (the time the USPS wants all carriers to be finished) screw em...you are getting paid evaluated time... no more, no less... it's more important to do it right than to do it fast...make sure the regular gives you all the current new information about the route... make up your own way of doing things ... if u need colored reminders...get them and use them... if u need a notebook get it... the carrier will work with you... after all it is you that lets them have time off...remind them of that...read the contract.... find out what they can ask of you... don't just go duhhhh ok...hang in there....it's really a very cool job...cover your butt!!!!!!!... i cannot stress that enough!!!!!.... if someone says that you didn't go to the door to attempt... make sure you can remark on something about the house that cannot be seen from the driveway... do not hit anything or anyone with your vehicle... the paperwork alone will make u blind...when in doubt... leave it out... if a name is unfamiliar, put a question mark on it or bring it back....good luck and hang in there i've been doing this for 28 years, and mostly i really like it...5 as a sub... 23 as a regular...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary