Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:12 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No, I didn't realize that. Then how can you have a TWC landline and not have internet???? They do offer that service. . .

I don't even know what POTS is, but AT&T offers nothing in Brier Creek Country Club.
TWC just uses their cable internet to provide you with dial tone. They don't run copper to your house.

POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service. This would be copper coming to your house. My house was built in 1987 so technically I can get an actual landline. However, I have AT&T U-Verse telephone service which is fact VOIP.

My point is really this - any type of VOIP service is going to be "just as reliable" as your TWC phone service is. It just comes down to cost, functionality, etc. as to which one you want to go with.

Last edited by adlnc07; 08-15-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM

494 posts, read 816,177 times
Does CenturyLink service your area? They were my landline before I moved out of their area. I use Windstream now for my landline as that was my only option. I didn't want the TWC phone.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,144 times
Quote:
No, I didn't realize that. Then how can you have a TWC landline and not have internet???? They do offer that service. . .

I don't even know what POTS is, but AT&T offers nothing in Brier Creek Country Club.
I believe parts of BC are legacy GTE/Verizon now Frontier. For example, I'm fairly certain the Fire Dept is in Frontier territory. Did you try them?

The landline/POTS (non Internet) voice providers have specific areas/locations they serve for landline/POTS service.

Frank

Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I've been using Google Voice and the Obi100 for about 1.5 years with no issues
Similar situation here. Obihai and GV. Anveo for e911. Running cost is $12/yr for e911. Do not miss my land line at all and am enjoying all the digital services for free. Voice transcription to text is a bit spotty, but the phone and call logs display all calling numbers PLUS you can access your account from any computer and listen to messages.

BTW, for anyone considering e911 with their VoIP service: Anveo has a number to call to verify that it works for your phone. I'm sure their competitors do too. In addition I called the non-urgent Cary Police line to have them verify as well and they instructed me to call 911. 911 then verified my home address.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,875,911 times
Quote:
We get too many dropped calls on our Verizon service to accept that, I'm afraid. And we found that we're just not into running across the house to grab the phone - we need 3 extensions.
Dock-N-Talk works with any cell phone or carrier. It can be connected to any phone jack in the house which will then support up to five extension phones located anywhere throughout the house so no running to answer the phone required.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Cell phone coverage is way too spotty at my house to rely on it as my only home phone service. If I drop AT&T U-Verse phone service at some point, I'm sure I'll go with a VOIP setup (probably the Obi100).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary