Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times

Advertisements

We haven't had any problems of the oven failing, though we use it more sporadically than most. And have been happy with how it cooks, except for the oven not getting as hot (per an independent thermometer) as the digital display says. But really don't like the downdraft.

In re options, our house was built in the 1920s and sits under historic preservation covenants with Durham's preservation society. The kitchen's size meant it was only really practical to put the oven on a non-external wall, and the spaces between the first and second floor wouldn't accommodate a venting -- we had to bring it through the floor into the crawlspace, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:43 AM

75 posts, read 126,232 times
down draft went into the trash after living with it for about a year. Fortunately i was able (with the help of a diamond saw) put in an externally vented hood through a brick wall 8' away. Used 10" duct to an inline fan about 5' away -then out.

Whisper quiet, and you can stand outside -crank it- and feel you are in hurricane

- Peter

Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
We have an older Jenn Air downdraft, and without completely re-doing our kitchen it is our only option. We recently made the choice to repair it since the recent models have no better reviews. However, if I had a choice I would absolutely not go with downdraft. It does very little in terms of venting.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
You don't have an option to add outside venting? I had the microwave circulation option and hated it. The microwave was too high for my wife to use it without fear of spilling boiling hot water on herself. I had an hvac guy run venting through my garage to an outside wall. My stove was against the garage wall so it was not difficult at all.

I don't think that I have an option. I will have an hvac guy look at my range location. I will be very happy if he could install vent through an outside wall.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:01 PM

224 posts, read 432,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
You don't have an option to add outside venting? I had the microwave circulation option and hated it. The microwave was too high for my wife to use it without fear of spilling boiling hot water on herself. I had an hvac guy run venting through my garage to an outside wall. My stove was against the garage wall so it was not difficult at all.

Interesting..our stove at our new house is also against the garage wall and we would like to have a range hood that vents outside. We currently have the Jenn Air downdraft like you guys are talking about. The house is almost 20 yrs old but I assume the stove is newer--looks like kitchen was remodeled in the last 5 yrs or so.
As far as the downdraft goes, it seems like it does more than what we had at our old house, which is not saying much because we had a range hood that vented back into the room. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: