U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,308 times
Default Question about all year round schools in raleigh area?

Is it true that the kids have to go to school all year round in North Carolina? Also I have heard from some people the way the system works to avoid discrimination is they bus kids from higher income areas to lower income areas and vicaversa is there any truth to that ? I am thinking of moving there from Florida and the school system is a big priority in making my decision>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 14,049,850 times
Many but not all schools in WAKE COUNTY are year round. At the moment you can choose a traditional calendar option if YR does not work for you. In Wake, they also practice bussing to integrate students from different socieconomic levels.
You can visit the school website at Wake County Public School System to find out more info about how Wake's schools work. The other county schools in the area do not bus and do not have year round schools. Wake just has more to deal with the problem of overcrowding from growth that other schools sytems aren't dealing with. Wake is currently the largest district in the state.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 PM
rin

6 posts, read 15,772 times
There was a big controversy over moving a lot of kids to year round base schools just a little while ago, but no where is it required for students to go to year round schools. and as for busing kids to even out socioeconomic statistics in schools that's only sort of true in magnet schools. one of the things considered in accepting kids to magnet schools is a quota for certain socioeconomic and racial groups, so that the school isn't disproportionately high in one group. however the purpose of magnet schools is to get all sorts of demographics into schools in Raleigh, but then, speaking from experience, the hour bus ride is really worth it.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 PM

324 posts, read 868,316 times
Just in case your not familiar with how year-round schools work - the kids do not go to school any more than a traditional calendar. Between quarters they have 4 or 5 weeks off. Its just split up throughout the year instead of one giant summer vacation. When I talk to people who do not have year-round schools in their area, often they think its an awful thing but do not know that the kids go to school the same length of time as anyone else. Just wanted to clarify if this was the case.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:38 PM

333 posts, read 597,504 times
Loaded Question, OP

WCPSS & Y/R Schools:

WCPSS converted 22 schools to Y/R this past school year, and while there are no plans to CONVERT any more, ALL future schools (elem and mid (HS is never Y/R) are slated to be opened as y/r schools. Currently, these schools (previously referred to as "Mandatory Y/R Schools"), by virtue of a lawsuit brought by parents against WCPSS (see WakeCARES vs. WCPSS) cannot have students ASSIGNED to them. If you are assigned to a y/r school, you are legally obligated to state that you want to stay there, or that you would prefer to opt out. In the past year (after Judge Manning's ruling) the traditional option for those who opted-out was unknown. School Board and OGM (Office of Growth Management) have NOT stated that traditional options will be available concurrently with the new reassignment plan coming for the 08-09 school year. The court case is currently on appeal; if WCPSS wins the appeal, then we will go back to the "Mandatory" y/r assignments, and all "opt-out" options will be gone (most likely, unless there are individual circumstances which the SB will approve/deny for transfer).

WCPSS & Diversity

WCPSS has a self-imposed mandate that NO school be over 40% FNR students (free-and-reduced lunch). Currently, they use busing to maintain that quota. I can tell you that they are failing at it, especially in areas of eastern Wake. If FNR percentages grow/swell, that is also a call for reassignment; to balance the FNR back to 40%

Magnet schools exist to draw wealthy children/families into poorer schools. So, FNR is a concern there.

However, the Magnet lottery (application) is not a TRUE lottery. If you are non-FNR, and your base school has a larger portion of FNR students, you must skip lottery rounds, because you are needed at your base to keep FNR down; so, the likelihood of your being accepted to a Magnet is slim to none.

The system, in my personal opinion, is in a state of extreme flux. Just today, an article was published:
newsobserver.com | Education (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/story/770550-p2.html - broken link)
and a quote therein resounded with me:

"'Wake County really slipped on almost all levels this year,' said John Dornan of the Raleigh-based Public School Forum. I think they are so distracted by school construction and politics that they have taken their eye off the student performance ball,' Dornan said."

I find this to be completely true. In Wake County Diversity trumps actual Academics.

For all of the above reasons, we are leaving (actually, we're 4 days from being OUT OF) Wake County.

For more information (parents, lawsuit, etc...) try reading the following...

newsobserver.com |WakeEd
WakeCARES
(and you already have the WCPSS link from an above post)

GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 35,251 times
Wow, would someone living in Wake advise a newcomer with children to perhaps move to a different county to avoid this issue?

What does that do to a child to have to be bussed for long amounts of time/learning a new school every year?...

Old 11-13-2007, 01:56 PM

poetmother:

Not all children are reassigned every year. Magnet students (by application) are never reassigned. Also, areas ITB (inside the beltline/I440) also are rarely reassigned.

Areas in western Wake, North Raleigh, and other areas of high growth, experience the frequent reassignments.

Some students have never been reassigned in Wake County, and others have attended three schools in three years.

As far as I am concerned, unless you can afford to live ITB (which is very expensive!) assignment/reassignment in the rest of Wake is a coin-flip.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 PM

7,305 posts, read 14,049,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetmother View Post
Wow, would someone living in Wake advise a newcomer with children to perhaps move to a different county to avoid this issue?

What does that do to a child to have to be bussed for long amounts of time/learning a new school every year?...
I'm in Wake, am a product of Wake and have children in Wake. I think it's an excellent system academically speaking, but like ALL districts, has it's share of problems especially with growth issues and there is no way to sugar coat that. Come vist for yourself before making any decisions. There are options and choices right now. Not everyone gets redisctricted (we have never been in 9 years in the system) and most do NOT get redistricted every year. Some people fully support the Wake diversity policy and believe it is successful (citing high test scores and statistics), others hate it and insist it doesn't work (citing low test scores and statistics LOL). Some kids have short bus rides, others have longer ones. Some people don't mind the bus ride, some do. Most people I've ever spoken with in YR schools absolutley love it even though they thought they wouldn't. SOme people believe YR schools are ther answer to crowding problem, others thing impact fees are the answer, others think raising taxes are the answer and others could care less. The 'discussions" surrounding Wake schools never ends...but whatever side of the fence you fall on, most children in Wake schools will get a great education.

My child goes to a traditional calendar school 4 miles from home and rides the bus for 15 minutes. Others in magnet (by choice) have their kids on the bus for an hour, but they choose that option and don't mind it. A lot of kids do their HW on the bus.
Everyone has a different opinion on the subject and everyone has different experiences in the system. Don't make ANY decisions based on what you read here and don't accept anything as fact without confirming it. For every great story, you'll get a bad one. YR schools and bussing tend to be very controversial around here.

Last edited by lamishra; 11-13-2007 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,308 times
Is there a county other than Wake that someone lives in and is very happy with the educational system? Somewhere close to Wake County.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM

ktortorella,

I sent you a PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary