Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 AM

25 posts, read 42,029 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are getting super close to narrowing down and making an offer on a house. We are leaning towards the Pirates Cove, Maynard Oaks area around Seabrook Ave.

Does anyone have any insider info on this area/neighborhood? Pros/Cons?
Are there a lot of families with young children?
We like the close proximity to Macdonald Woods Park. Thoughts on the park?
Anyone have any personal experience with Farmington Woods Elementary?
Anyone commute from this area to the RTP? If so, how is that drive?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 AM

606 posts, read 903,050 times
Does anyone have any insider info on this area/neighborhood? Pros/Cons?

I live in this area. I'm in MacDonald Woods which is the neighborhood just past Pirates Cove. I LOVE my neighborhood. Be aware that Pirates Cove has a pool and we do not. I'm not sure about Maynard Oaks but if a pool might be on your list, keep that in mind. We also don't have an HOA either. Although it seems the small fees for the Pirates Cove HOA are probably just for pool upkeep. At least that is what I've heard from the ones I know living up the street.

Are there a lot of families with young children? Lots of families with young children around. That was draw for us when it came to the neighborhood since we have kids as well.

We like the close proximity to Macdonald Woods Park. Thoughts on the park? We love the park. There is a greenway that goes along side it. If you follow the greenway over the pedestrian bridge, you'll find another park (Kid's Together is what I know it as but it might have had a name change) that is quite popular.

Anyone have any personal experience with Farmington Woods Elementary? All my kids attended Farmington and we really loved it there. It's been a few years since my kids were there but as far as I'm concerned it was a great school. We had no issues. I have 2 kids with learning disabilities that had IEP's put into place when we were there and it was a good experience.

Anyone commute from this area to the RTP? If so, how is that drive? I commute to RTP. It takes me less than 20 minutes in the morning when I leave a little after 7am. Not sure how the drive would be closer to 8 but early, it's smooth sailing. I get on I-40 behind the mall and it's always been faster than using the Cary Parkway entrance which is closer to my house. Drive home is a little longer as most everyone is leaving RTP at 5. I'm usually home within 25-30 minutes depending on traffic. There are a bunch of ways to get to and from RTP though so I take alternate routes if there is an accident.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Great neighborhood that is filling up with families as older couples who have raised their families downsize. Young couples without children are moving in as well. Plans for mall area might make it more appealing to them. Not sure.

I've been told that Farmington Woods Elementary has some wonderful language programs. People have said they move into the area because of this school.

Marla Dorrel Park/Kids Together Playground is across the pedestrian overpass from the McDonald Woods Park. Worth checking out.

If the home you are considering is in Pirates Cove HOA, I wouldn't wait too long to make up your mind. Several homes have sold over the summer and few were on the market for more than a week or so. It is a well-managed older community that has lots of mature trees, a nice pool, clubhouse, greenway, playground, etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
We have a lot of Maynard Oaks families at Cary Swim Club which is just a mile or 2 away.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 AM

792 posts, read 4,486,830 times
I live in Maynard Oaks. I think Pirates Cove is a really nice neighborhood and it seems houses get sold quickly. Seabrook is a main feeder street for all 3 neighborhoods so keep this in mind (it is a busy road as far as neighborhood streets go). My concern about McDonald Woods is traffic noise from US 1, especially on the park side of Seabrook. Just take a walk on Glengarry Drive and you'll see for yourself.

The park is super nice and stays shady most of the time which is a huge plus on hot summer days. No bathroom, but there is a drinking fountain and a new picnic area. It's not uncommon to see 15+ kids in the park on a nice day. So even if your immediate neighbors don't have kids, it will be no problem for you to meet families near you with kids - just hang out at the park!

I also commute into RTP and get to 40 via Cary Towne Blvd (exit 291). To avoid traffic, I try to leave home around 7am, and then leave work by 4:30pm. I-40 at 5:30pm just plain sucks no matter where you live or where you're going.

Good luck with your search!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 7,087 times
It's in a great area of Cary. A plus is the large, mature trees in the neighborhood.

I think I read that the water tower is coming down since Cary has been updating their water system.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM

25 posts, read 42,029 times
Thanks for the detailed responses. I really appreciate it!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM

606 posts, read 903,050 times
For what it's worth, I never really hear the highway noise on hwy 1. Perhaps I'm just used to it so I tune it out. The only time I really heard anything from it is if there are a bunch of emergency vehicles with their sirens on.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 PM

28 posts, read 47,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
For what it's worth, I never really hear the highway noise on hwy 1. Perhaps I'm just used to it so I tune it out. The only time I really heard anything from it is if there are a bunch of emergency vehicles with their sirens on.
We live on the other side of highway 1 and do not hear the noise. I do however notice the silence of it(which occurs during snow storms)

Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I think you just get used to it. We live near the RR tracks and it doesn't phase us anymore. In fact, I kind of like the sound now .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary