Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 AM

7 posts, read 42,506 times

Advertisements

is it true that anywhere in north or south carolina people are very prejudice? i was considering to move to Cary North Carolina but some people who once lived there said to be carefull where to choose to live because of prejudice, i am Asian and i didnt like that , specially i have a daughter it scares me alot!
and is it true that the reason why houses are so cheap is because the taxes in North carolina is sky high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:10 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,461 times
This question gets asked painfully often from misinformation. Racism and intollerance can happen ANYWHERE, even in "progressive" areas of the US. But it's few and far between and you'll do fine here. I've lived here in the Charlottea area all of my life. There are many mix race families/couples at my church. One of my wife's brothers is white and his wife black. People here in NC/SC get along fine, probably better than in most areas. Thanks for comming here to ask your question. Don't be affraid and be careful who you're getting your information from. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
StateMaster - Hate Crimes > Race related (per capita) (most recent) by state (broken link)

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/burden_by_year_all_states-2007-04-04.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Races in Cary:
  • White Non-Hispanic (79.7%)
  • Black (6.1%)
  • Hispanic (4.3%)
  • Asian Indian (3.5%)
  • Chinese (2.3%)
  • Two or more races (1.8%)
  • Other race (1.5%)
  • Korean (0.6%)
  • Vietnamese (0.6%)
  • American Indian (0.6%)
  • Other Asian (0.5%)

Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 AM

143 posts, read 708,588 times
mm34b: Thanks for those stats, quite interesting!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagetout View Post
is it true that anywhere in north or south carolina people are very prejudice?
Yes. Everything you hear is true. When I tell that the eastern seaboard will fall into the ocean tomorrow that is also true.

Quote:
i was considering to move to Cary North Carolina but some people who once lived there said to be carefull where to choose to live because of prejudice, i am Asian and i didnt like that , specially i have a daughter it scares me alot!
Well, prejudice should scare but I'll let you in on a little secret, it's everywhere. Some places more than others but you'll never escape it. And nowadays for the most part no one who going to be out right blatant about their hate for a particular group so you shouldn't be afraid.

Quote:
and is it true that the reason why houses are so cheap is because the taxes in North carolina is sky high?
There are alot of different taxes here, but I don't know if that's the reason homes are cheap. Relatively speaking, depending on where you're coming from homes here may not be that cheap.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,161 times
Quote:
is it true that anywhere in north or south carolina people are very prejudice? i was considering to move to Cary North Carolina but some people who once lived there said to be carefull where to choose to live because of prejudice, i am Asian and i didnt like that , specially i have a daughter it scares me alot!

Sorry to tell you but you have been sadly misinformed. This is the perfect example of why people need to do actual fact based research and come and VISIT before they make up their minds or make snap judgements based on some anecdotal evidence/narrow experiences they hear from one or a few people. Cary has grown to over 123K people now, so not sure when your "source" lived here? Maybe 1953? lol

Ok, sorry for the rant but I just needed to set the record straight. Now to answer your question. This is not some back of the woods/redneck/hillbilly/hick town! It's a huge metro area with over a million + people from all over the country and the world living here. Think melting pot. Sadly, racism does exist everywhere. Heck, there was a noose incident at NYU recently so no city, no matter how big or small is immune but it's not a prevalant issue here. Like I said, there's people from everywhere living here and it's sad that in this day and age, people would portray 2 entire states as racist in general. If they were referring to southerners well, that's just a really ignorant gross generalization. Besides, 2 of 3 people living here are not southern so if there is racism here, you could hardly blame the southerners!

The taxes are about as low as you would find anywhere. I don't know where your "source" is from but I pay $1600 a year ($135 a month) in a 152K home in a very safe, clean area. I certainly don't feel that is too high to enjoy the many things this area has to offer. And another tidbit... houses here are not THAT cheap anymore. Compared to most metro areas, yes housing is a bargain but you're not going to find huge mcmansions for 100-something K. So be prepared for that. The median price in Cary is 250K now.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,317 times
Not only is racism and prejudice rampant here, but you may be interested in learning there are no dentists here either - cos ain't none of us got any teeths!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Not only is racism and prejudice rampant here, but you may be interested in learning there are no dentists here either - cos ain't none of us got any teeths!
Ahhh shucks tee-tee we look purdier dhat way.....that was to funny.

Seriously I have not found the area to be raciest but I also do not walk in the shoes of every minority group. Simple fact of me not being from NC makes me a minority of sorts.

There are other areas like Charlotte that have those NASCAR 'Races' a few times a year. Sometime I see people racing on the highways now and again. We all try to survive the rat race.

I like some of the other posters here do not believe the taxes are high here. I lived were they were. It wasn't pretty.

I would say to the person that asked the question to research more before you make any conclusions about the areas economic/social make up. Many of us came here with the hope of something better and found just that. Some also found it not better and some have no opinion.

"sometimes those that swims with the fishes become bait" by Fish In. Pole.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
StateMaster - Hate Crimes > Race related (per capita) (most recent) by state (broken link)

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/burden_by_year_all_states-2007-04-04.pdf (broken link)

We have stats on everything from toothless residents to percentage of carpoolers. Our database is increasing all the time, so be sure to check back with us regularly.

Wow...you CAN find the most toothless people from this website!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary