U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:35 AM

213 posts, read 853,747 times

Advertisements

I-540 Toll Roads Could Be Cashless :: WRAL.com

So, when do the tolls go on 540?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM

2,812 posts, read 6,447,100 times
I don't think that was determined yet. Better question is WHY?

Yet another slice of NY/NJ coming to the Triangle near you. (Toll Booths)

I understand everyone needs to pay for highways to get them built and maintained but I thought the person property usage tax we pay on our cars and boats and whatever is suppose to pay for road construction and upkeep?

So the rules are changing. Let's see a large portion of Rt 540 was built with no toll booths and now to continue that building toll booths will be required. The area continues to grow and bring in lots more TAX revenue but not for Rt 540.

IMHO the southern part of 540 should of been built first and acted as a true bypass to the RTP/Raleigh/CARY traffic during rush hours. Today we get to send the people just passing through the area all bound up with the people that live here trying to get to and home from work.

Now move forward a few years and 540 is done and built with Toll Booths yet Rt 40 is free.. Let see which road will the out of area traffic use...my bet is Rt 40 as its free. Which road will the local traffic use Rt 40 because its free. So what will we have gained by completing Rt 540? As a free highway we gain convenience as a pay road we gained toll booths.

Sorry for the long post but it just amazes me how roads get planned here.

Cashless Toll Booths. C'mon other states been doing this for years. Why is it being made like its the best thing since banks gave interest to hold your money in a savings account?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM

43 posts, read 199,078 times
Hopefully never. What a joke. Just what we need, another large, taxpayer financed government bureaucracy that will get bigger, never get smaller and will never be dismantled and which will be ripe for corruption.

If the state would allocate highway dollars based on traffic volumes and not by which powerful legislators stomp their feet and also stop raiding the highway trust fund and using millions of dollars meant for roads on the general fund…. There wouldn’t be a need for toll roads. Taxes have already been collected from us to build these roads.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:06 PM

266 posts, read 532,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreg View Post
Hopefully never. What a joke. Just what we need, another large, taxpayer financed government bureaucracy that will get bigger, never get smaller and will never be dismantled and which will be ripe for corruption.

If the state would allocate highway dollars based on traffic volumes and not by which powerful legislators stomp their feet and also stop raiding the highway trust fund and using millions of dollars meant for roads on the general fund…. There wouldn’t be a need for toll roads. Taxes have already been collected from us to build these roads.
It's a good point, but construction costs are escalating exponentially as asphault is primarily petroleum based and we know where oil prices are going. It's unlikely that the southern end construction of 540 will ever succeed.

I only support tolls insomuch that tolls are a direct tax on car drivers using these roads. If I choose to drive elsewhere, why am I paying for someone else's usage of I-40? The more direct the tax can be, the better. Car property taxes are probably the more efficient way since toll booths will just slow things down. Taxing everyone, including those who opt for mass transit, is probably the worst way.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 PM

2,530 posts, read 7,923,930 times
What irks me is that 485 around Charlotte and 840 around Greensboro have been fully funded and don't require tolls. I guess because 1-40 through the Triangle is not part of a major N-S artery its not so important.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 PM

213 posts, read 853,747 times
Yes, I too thought our personal property tax was used for roads. Interesting.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 PM

842 posts, read 2,922,907 times
Property taxes are commonly used for roads in other states. However, in North Carolina, the majority of roads are owned and maintained by the state. The result is that we have high gas taxes and income taxes, but low property taxes.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 PM

2,934 posts, read 7,136,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Property taxes are commonly used for roads in other states. However, in North Carolina, the majority of roads are owned and maintained by the state. The result is that we have high gas taxes and income taxes, but low property taxes.
Virginia also has all state maintained roads (most of them better than NC) and they have a low income tax and gas tax compared to NC many other states? Why is this?

Also, as far as tolls go. It's pretty simple...you won't have to pay a penny if you don't use that road! People in other areas use the tolls primarily because traffic can be a nightmare if they don't use the toll roads. IMO the Triangle has not got to a point were a lot of people will use the toll roads to avoid traffic.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM

1,254 posts, read 4,263,910 times
Thumbs up What portion? 540 or NC540??

If the tolls pass, is it on the entire stretch of 540 or just the newer portion of the NC540 from I40 to Davis Drive? Would the tolls be on the existing portion from I-40(exit 1) to Knightdale(Exit 26B) where it currently ends...I am curious to see what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
I-540 Toll Roads Could Be Cashless :: WRAL.com

So, when do the tolls go on 540?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:40 PM

2,934 posts, read 7,136,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
If the tolls pass, is it on the entire stretch of 540 or just the newer portion of the NC540 from I40 to Davis Drive? Would the tolls be on the existing portion from I-40(exit 1) to Knightdale(Exit 26B) where it currently ends...I am curious to see what happens...
I'm pretty sure it's just the new section of 540 (SR-540) since I believe they can't toll the part that is an "interstate". If they decided to toll I-540 then the "back roads" of North Raleigh would literally become a nightmare overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary