Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,218 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone on here has any personal experience with disability attorneys in the area? Feel free to DM me if you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,139 times
Sent to you via DM.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
SS Disability? Or private?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
SS Disability? Or private?
Yes, also curious of which one the OP is needing.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 PM

SSDI. (Not SSI.)

Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Apply for disability. Make sure your application is complete. If you move or change your phone number, notify SSA or your disability examiner immediately. If you go to the doctor for anything significant after completing your application, notify your disability examiner immediately. If you don't hear anything in a month, call your disability examiner for status. If you don't hear anything for another month, call your disability examiner for status again. Keep repeating this until you get a decision. If you are denied, don't hire an attorney. File for reconsideration. Repeat the same steps as with your initial claim. If you are denied again, don't hire an attorney. File for reconsideration again. This time your case will be heard by an administrative law judge. By then you will be older and you might be allowed because of that. Or by then your condition might be worse and you might be allowed because of that. Or the administrative law judge might deem that the disability agency made the wrong decision at either the initial or reconsideration level or both. Disability examiners and disability medical personnel are trained to ask themselves every time they pick up a claim to work on it: "What will it take to allow this claim?" They aren't out to deny anyone. It's much easier to allow someone, but they don't allow just to make their jobs easier. They have to meet quality assurance standards as measured by a quality assurance department in the disability agency and a federal disability quality board. Thirty dollars, please. Just kidding. I retired from a career doing Social Security disability claims.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Apply for disability. Make sure your application is complete. If you move or change your phone number, notify SSA or your disability examiner immediately. If you go to the doctor for anything significant after completing your application, notify your disability examiner immediately. If you don't hear anything in a month, call your disability examiner for status. If you don't hear anything for another month, call your disability examiner for status again. Keep repeating this until you get a decision. If you are denied, don't hire an attorney. File for reconsideration. Repeat the same steps as with your initial claim. If you are denied again, don't hire an attorney. File for reconsideration again. This time your case will be heard by an administrative law judge. By then you will be older and you might be allowed because of that. Or by then your condition might be worse and you might be allowed because of that. Or the administrative law judge might deem that the disability agency made the wrong decision at either the initial or reconsideration level or both. Disability examiners and disability medical personnel are trained to ask themselves every time they pick up a claim to work on it: "What will it take to allow this claim?" They aren't out to deny anyone. It's much easier to allow someone, but they don't allow just to make their jobs easier. They have to meet quality assurance standards as measured by a quality assurance department in the disability agency and a federal disability quality board. Thirty dollars, please. Just kidding. I retired from a career doing Social Security disability claims.
Great advice from Columbiadata. This is pretty much what a disability attorney will do.

When a person's disability claim is finally approved, they are often awarded backpay retroactive to the time they became disabled. If you work with an attorney, you will generally have agreed to pay the attorney a percentage of the amount awarded. The longer it takes to get your claim through, the more the attorney's amount is. Hence, some attorneys are often in no big rush. I've never heard of any who will take on a client that has not already been denied.

How a Disability Attorney Will Handle Your Social Security Disability Claim | Disability Secrets

Lists the kind of information that attorneys typically will use in pursuing a disability determination. You could gather and present that information yourself.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the advice! I'm not quite there yet, but I can see it coming. Without going into detail, my condition has been getting worse. Iwas a SAHM, but I think I've worked enough now to qualify when the time comes. I've been told it's better to get any attorney, but this advice is very encouraging.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm not quite there yet, but I can see it coming. Without going into detail, my condition has been getting worse. Iwas a SAHM, but I think I've worked enough now to qualify when the time comes. I've been told it's better to get any attorney, but this advice is very encouraging.
I have heard the same. But I worked in Vocational Rehab and knew many individuals who were determined disabled and eligible for SSI and/or SSDI without an attorney. You do need to have good medical records and documentation and stay organized about your application for benefits.

I have known several people who worked in Social Security claims determination. They are in training and retraining for incredible amounts of time. They have strict guidelines, procedures, and processes they have to follow. Whether you have an attorney plead your case or not, makes little difference. If the boxes are checked, they're checked.

Disability Attorneys do a great job at helping those who cannot keep things organized enough to keep filing the appropriate paperwork. They also do a good job of determining who is likely to be successful if they keep at it. If an experienced Disability Attorney is willing to take you on, you probably have a good case, attorney or no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary