Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:22 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
20-150.1. When passing on the right is permitted.

The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is in a lane designated for left turns;
(2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width which have been marked for two or more lanes of moving vehicles in each direction and are not occupied by parked vehicles;
(3) Upon a one-way street, or upon a highway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement when such street or highway is free from obstructions and is of sufficient width and is marked for two or more lanes of moving vehicles which are not occupied by parked vehicles;
(4) When driving in a lane designating a right turn on a red traffic signal light.

I'm not a lawyer, but it looks like the only thing left after all of these are accounted for is passing on the shoulder.
Of course there are certain times when you can pass on the right. I came from Virginia and I'm not as familiar with NC motor vehicle law so you got me on this one, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal in many places in the US to pass in the right lane when the left lane is not obstructed. This thread is going kind of off-topic though.

I'll end it with I'm glad the local LE is cracking down, but I just wish they would do it much more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM

134 posts, read 410,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChristmas View Post
And if they are really, really interested in catching speeders, why the archaic system of "policeman chasing in car"? That's so cowboy. So inefficient. Just place cameras every 10 miles and take a picture of any car that exceeds the limit. Mail the person the picture and the fine. That's what they do all over Europe, now.

--JC
Actually, I should clarify. In Germany at least, they had to modify this system. They still mail you the ticket, but not the picture. You have to request that separately. The courts ruled it illegal to send the picture of the speeder in the mail with the ticket, after a lawsuit brought by one very upset gentleman.... The reason?

He was caught speeding, fair and square. He didn't contest that. And the camera snapped a nice picture of him, which it mailed to his home address. However, the picture of the woman beside him was not so good. The quality was perfect. It just wasn't his wife.......

You can probably guess who got to the letter first......

--JC

Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM

213 posts, read 936,498 times
This is a great! Hey, does anyone know when they are going to have Operation Use Your Directional Signals? This would be a helpful operation as well.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,713,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Of course there are certain times when you can pass on the right. I came from Virginia and I'm not as familiar with NC motor vehicle law so you got me on this one, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal in many places in the US to pass in the right lane when the left lane is not obstructed. This thread is going kind of off-topic though.
Yeah, no problem. It was a "I thought I read differently but I don't know where" moment for me, so I tried to track it down. I usually fail, but this time I actually found what I was looking for so I figured I'd share it.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 PM

43 posts, read 221,109 times
Typical. It’s always a “crack down” A crack down on speeders, seat belt violations DUI, etc. etc. What are they doing the rest of the time??? If they were enforcing consistently, they would need to “crack down”

There certainly isn’t any speed enforcement out on I-40. When the flow of traffic is 75 mph +, its clear that drivers have no fear of getting a ticket. If the HP was even visible out on I-40 people would slow down and that might help reduce the number of traffic jam-inducing crashes.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
Speeding cameras are great and all but when someone is pulled over they usually stop speeding at that moment. I understand people "thinking" there are cameras around will deter them from speeding but that is not the case. There are ways to get around the cameras (bending license plate up, sprays, black tape etc). When a cop pulls you over most of the time most people stop speeding then and there and it lowers the risk of an accident occurring.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Speeding cameras are great and all but when someone is pulled over they usually stop speeding at that moment. I understand people "thinking" there are cameras around will deter them from speeding but that is not the case. There are ways to get around the cameras (bending license plate up, sprays, black tape etc).
MythBusters proved that those license plate sprays and covers don't work. And cops can pull you over if you alter your license plate as to make it not visible. There simply isn't a good way to 'fool' a speeding camera.

Quote:
When a cop pulls you over most of the time most people stop speeding then and there and it lowers the risk of an accident occurring.
Uh...more like people slow down suddenly, and cause chain reaction accidents.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:34 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
MythBusters proved that those license plate sprays and covers don't work. And cops can pull you over if you alter your license plate as to make it not visible. There simply isn't a good way to 'fool' a speeding camera.

Uh...more like people slow down suddenly, and cause chain reaction accidents.
There really is no "perfect" way to stop speeding unless the car companies put governors on all automobiles making them unable to go over 85 or so. The best way to get around it is with black electrical tape (or whatever color the letters are). You can make a C an O or an I a T and so forth. I am a fan of Mythbusters myself but would never mention it in a forum...............DAMN!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:49 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,530 times
How about Operation Don't Cheat On Your Spouse While Speeding And Going Through Red Lights ?

I know, I know, I understand issues with invasion of privacy. But I have no pity for a cheater that also happens to be a bad driver.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM

282 posts, read 835,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
How about Operation Don't Cheat On Your Spouse While Speeding And Going Through Red Lights ?

I know, I know, I understand issues with invasion of privacy. But I have no pity for a cheater that also happens to be a bad driver.
You mean....Don't CHEAT and DRIVE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary