Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM

15 posts, read 18,842 times

Advertisements

I need to go and renew my driver's license. Can someone tell me what I can expect as far as test/questions, etc.? My record is actually spotless: No tickets. No insurance claims. Do they give you a break for that? - Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 PM

184 posts, read 803,204 times
It is just a vision and sign test if you already have a NC drivers license.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 PM

15 posts, read 18,842 times
Thank you! I appreciate the response

Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,793,968 times
Search here for other people with the exact same question.

Firstly, you don't get any credit for your record. You might get a discount from your insurance company, though.
But the consensus is, that the vision test is just as easy as you remember it, but the rules test is arbitrary and relies on memorization of the book, NOT common sense, driving curtsey or such.
IE: one question is, "how many points will you loose if you get a speeding ticket 10 MPH over the limit".

My last renewal, I missed the test because I had expected to sail through knowing the law and having common sense. Nope! I missed by one and had to re-take. So I went and actually read the book that time, and passed easily.

One of these threads even had a link to a practice test. That would be a great thing to check.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:08 PM

4,292 posts, read 5,938,468 times
^^^But renewal should just be vision and traffic sign tests...no "written" test. Road test is at the discretion of the examiner, but only very rarely required.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 PM

494 posts, read 812,136 times
I didn't take a written test at my renewal. I just had to say which signs were what and had my vision screened. Then they took my photo.

You can make an appointment at the DMV so you don't need to wait as long once you get there.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,793,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
You can make an appointment at the DMV so you don't need to wait as long once you get there.
+1 on making a DMV Appointment.
I had to renew last year, saw the appointment feature and thought "why bother'. I chose a nice area and went in during the middle of the day (Cary, 2pm), I ended up waiting 2-1/2 hours !!!! And I saw several 'jump' in front of me, obviously having made appointments.
It's the way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary