Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM

286 posts, read 685,343 times

Advertisements

Well we were all set with our Directv service and the tech came out, did some measurements, and said we we wouldn't get signal at our house. So now we are needing to research Dish and UVerse. Anyone know of any place to actually go talk to someone about Dish? We went to Best Buy to discuss the deal with Directv. I like talking to someone face to face rather than over the phone for this kind of thing.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
If you can't get a satellite signal for DTV, how will you get one with Dish?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you can't get a satellite signal for DTV, how will you get one with Dish?
I think it has to do with where they need to point the satellite. We have tall trees in some spots that blocked the Directv receiver dish and the HOA won't let us plant it in the front yard all tacky like. I'd just like to see if Dish could get a signal or not. If not, cool. We'll go with Uverse.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
I We have tall trees in some spots that blocked the Directv receiver dish and the HOA won't let us plant it in the front yard all tacky like.
HOA can't keep you from installing a dish or antenna where you need it to receive a signal.

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov

Old 09-04-2013, 04:48 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,885 times
Can't you put it on the roof?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
HOA can't keep you from installing a dish or antenna where you need it to receive a signal.

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov
It's a town home complex and part of our dues is to care for the yards and other outside areas. So I think they can in my case. I'm actually ok with that. I don't really want my tiny front yard to have a satellite dish planted in it.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Can't you put it on the roof?

The satellite receiver has to be at a specific angle to get a signal. If it's on our roof, the angle is such that the trees completely block it. I love big trees but I really want to get rid of regular cable and their billing problems. It may be that we just have to go with UVerse.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:00 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
I bought mine at blockbuster, but to be honest they were not much of a help anyway. I just used their phone to call Dish and get service.

If you get service, make sure they give you the brand new hopper, and not the old one with a wifi dongle. The new one has some updates that mkes it a little better. I love Dish tv!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
The satellite receiver has to be at a specific angle to get a signal. If it's on our roof, the angle is such that the trees completely block it. I love big trees but I really want to get rid of regular cable and their billing problems. It may be that we just have to go with UVerse.
You could just go to their website and "chat" with them but from previous experience I would suggest that you call them, it's way easier and much more helpful to actually talk to them on the phone.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:58 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,897 times
You can go to dishpointer.com and put in your address which will bring it up in a google earth type view. Select 61.5 for the satellite (this is the main one for HD in our area for Dish network). The other satellites are 72 and 77.

It will overlay a line onto the google earth map of your house to show you which way the dish has to point.

DirecTV and Dish do have different line of sights, so it makes sense that you can possibly get Dish and not Direct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary