Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 AM

122 posts, read 347,039 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Northern Virginia and belonged to a wonderful Methodist church there, and had lots of friends. Then I moved to near Greensboro and have spent two years visiting various churches to no avail. I probably moved out too far from the city. Nearby ( rural ) churches have virtually no members under 60, and the city churches are too far away for me to be able to be very involved.

Now I'm moving to the Raleigh area and figure maybe I should find a church first and then figure out where to live. What am I looking for? A church home with friendly, non-judgmental people, with most members between 20 and 60. I don't smoke or drink, and I am vegetarian. It would be nice if I weren't the only vegetarian there. I'd probably not be happy in a very small church, and I'd probably get lost in a very large church.

I am very ecumenical. Although my last church was Methodist, I am open to other denominations. I am conservative on some issues, liberal on some issues, and moderate on most issues. My relationship to God and Christ is very important to me. And so is being ecumenical, with goodwill between denominations, and goodwill between faiths. Would love to be involved in inter-faith programs.

Oh, and while it shouldn't matter, I am a middle-aged, divorced, white male.

Can anyone here suggest churches in the Raleigh area where I might be a good fit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by bels7; 11-15-2007 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 25,610 times
I attend church at Faith Baptist Church in Youngsville. It is a gigantic church but the Sunday school or small groups (whatever you want to call them) make it feel like a smaller church atmosphere. I also am not a big fan of huge churches but I must say, I feel very "at home." If that is to far to drive, I have a good friend that attends a Presbyterian church in Raleigh called Christ the King. If I am not mistaken the pastor there is Wayne Grudem's (the author of the book Systematic Theology) son. It is a new smaller church atmosphere that is very sound in doctrine. Let me know if you need the address, directions, or more suggestions. I attend the seminary in Wake Forest, so I a good idea of churches in different areas, if you have a specific area in mind.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times
White Plains UMC, on Maynard Rd. in Cary. Works for me and my family. Energetic, enthusiastic, Christ-driven. Contemporary worship at 9:45 a.m. on Sunday. Upbeat music, casual attire. Join us.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 AM

Thank you ESE34 and Streamer1212, very much. I've looked at houses all the way from Youngsville to Cary, and I suspect Youngsville is a bit too far for me. But I will visit Christ the King PC and White Plains UMC.

My former church had what they called "home groups" which worked very well. The church was about 120 members and it was small enough that I could meet and know everyone, but the home groups felt even better, with maybe a dozen or less in each one.

Thanks !!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:05 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bels7 View Post
I am very ecumenical. Although my last church was Methodist, I am open to other denominations. I am conservative on some issues, liberal on some issues, and moderate on most issues. My relationship to God and Christ is very important to me. And so is being ecumenical, with goodwill between denominations, and goodwill between faiths. Would love to be involved in inter-faith programs.
I'd LOVE to find a church home with good inter-faith programs, and a heathy single population in the 30-50 range...

Old 11-15-2007, 03:23 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Some readers might be interested in this site:

Progressive Churches.org

Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM

584 posts, read 2,422,692 times
My wife and I attend Edenton Street United Methodist Church downtown Raleigh and enjoy it very much. I was raised Southern Baptist and she was raised Catholic and we have found that this church is a nice middle ground for us both. There will not be any problem with you being divorced.

You're welcome anytime and I'd be happy to meet you there one Sunday so you're not going alone. It's a pretty big church with an 8am, 10:55am traditional service and a 9:40am contemporary service.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Crossroads Fellowship

Grace Community Church

Journey Church

Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks J_Lurk for the link.

And thanks Grawburg for the suggestion and invitation. Once I have a contract on my house here in Greensboro I'll be spending more time in Raleigh, and may very well take you up on the invitation. I too belonged to a Southern Baptist church, when I was in graduate school. But now, being divorced, that made it difficult to stay. They still loved me, it's just that they wouldn't let me remarry in their church. And I'd like to think that I might remarry someday, if I find the right woman.

And glad to hear Gurl also values an inter-faith program. Greensboro has an inter-faith center, led by a Methodist minister but supported by many churches of various denominations, and open to people of all faiths. Would love to find something like that in Raleigh. I don't think I have the courage or talent to start something like that, but I could easily support someone in doing that if it doesn't already exist.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Thank you saturnfan. I'll add those three to my list !! I must say that I am encouraged by these responses. Wish I had done this when I moved to Greensboro two-and-a-half years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary