Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM

59 posts, read 214,379 times

Advertisements

Hello. My niece (2) and nephew (4) are coming for the holidays (with their parents). I'm looking for ideas to entertain them between Dec 23 - 28. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
I would check the carolinaparent.com online calendar and they tend to have a lot of information regarding the things going on in the area.

Also suggestions are:

The NC Museum of Life and Science Explore, Connect, Learn, Share | North Carolina Museum of Life and Science in durham, excellent for both kids and adults, could be a whole day of fun!

NC Museum of Natural Science North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in downtown raleigh

Marbles Museum Marbles Kids Museum for kids in downtown raleigh

If it is nice outside, pullen park in raleigh is fun because there are lots of outdoor activities to do.

Here is a link for different things in raleigh during christmas time:
Raleigh's Official Tourism Site -- Travel info for your Raleigh excursion (http://www.visitraleigh.com/group/gtitholiday.html - broken link)

Hope this helps

Leigh

Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
We just went to Kazoom for the first time today. It was a lot of fun, and according to their web site they will have shows at 10 and 11 a.m. on Thursday Dec 27. Kazoom Puppet Theatre

I'm not sure where in the Triangle you are, but you could also take them to Morehead Planetarium ( Morehead Planetarium and Science Center ) in Chapel Hill. Sol & Company is great for that age. Kidzu Children's Museum in Chapel Hill is also a good time. Page 1

Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM

36 posts, read 183,539 times
I 2nd the NC Museum of Life and Science recommendation. Great place for kids.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
Where are you? In Cary there's Jumping Beans and Planet Child. I agree about Marbles and the Museum in Durham. We have a 2 and a 4 year old and have very much enjoyed our visits to both. If you have an Entertainment book there are coupons for both.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:24 PM

59 posts, read 214,379 times
I'm in NE Raleigh, but I'm not concerned about driving to Durham, Chapel Hill, etc. Thanks for the replies so far. There are several I hadn't heard of yet.

Gina

Old 11-15-2007, 04:31 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
leighbhe is spot-on. I've got a 2 year old, and he loves the NC Museum of Life and Science in Durham. He also loves Pullen Park - especially the carousel. I haven't tried out Marbles since Exploris and Playspace combined, but he did like Playspace a lot; Exploris less-so. The NC Museum of Natural Science was also a hit.

The 4 year old would probably enjoy Frankies. Not a lot for the 2 year old there, though. But, then again, a 2 year old can be happiest when they are just running around.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:20 PM

836 posts, read 3,469,718 times
I agree with all the postings so far, except for the Planetarium. I took my 9 and 5 year olds last summer and I think the 5 year olds were right at the age they started to get it, so it may be above the 4 year old and definately above the 2!

All the others, Pullen, the two science museums, etc. are great. The Durham science museum is great because there is outside play, animals, butterfly house, etc, to let the kids get some exercise, then there are also inside displays. My kids have been to Marbles since the change and love it. Kazoom is GREAT for that age. Ms. Polly and Ms. Ester do participatory songs and puppets and then have a "play" the kids can play parts in, if they want. It is not that well known a place and wonderful for that age. Kinda unique place.

My personal "thing" is to steer clear of the indoor gyms this time of year...my kids always seem to get some bug after they leave. All those kids putting stuff in their mouths and the putting them back for the next kid to play with.....ugh. I love them on hot summer days, but steer clear in the winter. I know, that is my wierd germ thing, but I HATE stomach bugs!

If you are in downtown Raleigh around lunch, go to Moore Square/City Market and eat at Vic's Italian...great family owned italian....low priced and casual. Then go to Amazing Glaze next door and let the kids paint pots. Or wander around Artspace and see if any of the artists are working.

If in Raleigh, go to Krispy Kreme early in the morning, or any time the "Hot Donuts Now" sign is lit and let the kids watch the donuts being made. A great way to start your day, even if you aren't a kid!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:59 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
I agree with all the postings so far, except for the Planetarium. I took my 9 and 5 year olds last summer and I think the 5 year olds were right at the age they started to get it, so it may be above the 4 year old and definately above the 2!
The Planetarium has multiple shows. "Sol and Company" is the one geared for preschool kids (their recommendation is up to age 7). It involves a cartoon character explaining the planets. My 2 year old and my almost-4-year-old love it. I wouldn't take them to any of the older shows, but Sol and Company is running at 10:30 every day the week after Christmas. We've also seen the "Magic Treehouse" one but that one did have a scary bit about a black hole that my kids weren't so keen on.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
We're still getting to know our way around and probably have gone through downtown Raleigh on the way to someplace else, but...

Where, exactly, is 'downtown Raleigh' ? What are some of the streets that lead to it, or run through it?

Like, where would I find Moore Square and City Market? And how about the Krispy Kreme that has hot donuts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary