Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 AM

120 posts, read 206,247 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my family will be moving down this December and are trying to narrow down our search by school reputation, commute time for hubby and good quality home builder. I am leaning more towards new construction and have heard good things about M/I, Garman, Weekley, JVI.

We are also uncertain as to how true the google maps/directions is telling us about the commute time from Apex/Bella Casa area to Duke Medical Center. Via toll, it is 30 minutes for my husband but he is not convinced that that is the case.

Are there other areas that meet our 3 criteria for new construction? I liked Apex because you can get a bit more land and pretty homes and not as "bursting at the seams" like Cary. And Olive Chapel Elem seemed to be good at least on the nc report card.

Our agent is encouraging us to consider Chatham County portion in Amberly and it did look promising but it was almost too much home for me to upkeep. And I wasn't sure about the schools. Chatham County and DPS about the same? Or is Chatham COUnty better?

Our budget is 600K and would love to have a smaller home (3500 sq ft) on a larger lot ( greater than .25 acres). That combo seems to be harder to find though.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Brier Creek would fit most of that description, but you may not find new builds. Still, the resales are pretty current.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
Have you considered going West of Durham instead of South, ie Orange County? I live in Mebane and commute to Duke, and it is about 20-25 mins and there is never traffic and no tolls. It's a straight shot on I-85. I want to move to Hillsborough, where the commute will be even less. The schools in Hillsborough/Orange County are fine, at least I have been happy with them so far. I'm not really up on which builders have communities there at the moment, but in that price range I'm sure you could do a custom build on your lot. Lots outside city limits will be at least 1 acre.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 PM

ADVentive, that sounds interesting. I hadn't thought of that. It seems like most people talk about Cary and Chapel Hill. Ill take a look at Orange County.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
There is some new construction in North to North West Raleigh in the watershed that may meet your criteria. MacTavish and Mt Vernon Crossing have both opened up new construction sites. The commute to Duke Hospital will be cutting it close - 35 minutes would be safer, I think. Both neighborhoods will give you a lot in the .75 to 1 acre range. Both have a team of builders to choose from (the choice of lot often times ends up selecting the builder as well). Prices start in the $500Ks, although I suspect most homes will be going for a bit more than that.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM

399 posts, read 700,326 times
Mebane is in Alamance County as an FYI.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Part of it is in Orange County, too.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eesmom View Post
Our budget is 600K and would love to have a smaller home (3500 sq ft) on a larger lot ( greater than .25 acres). That combo seems to be harder to find though.
LMAO, it's all relative, I suppose (I live in a 1200sf place, with .33 acres, and my budget was barely more than 1/4 of yours, in Cary)

But to answer your question, the commute to Duke from Apex is definitely under 30 minutes, due to the 540 expressway. Note that it's a toll road, and currently doesn't get much use (not enough to create traffic anyway). I suspect that in 10 years, Apex will be "busting at the seams" too, and the toll road will be much more crowded too.

But Olive Chapel area of Apex is right off of the 64/540 intersection, so very convenient.

Cary is also about 30 minutes, and that's going right down Davis Drive (no Toll) to the Durham Freeway. Sometimes traffic can be an issue in the heat of rush hour, but surprisingly, it has not been a problem for me. And Cary is full of new builds. It is far from "full". You might also check Morrisville, they are building there like crazy.

BTW, Chapel Hill is in Orange County. IMO, it's a great place, but 1) you will spend more to live there, and 2) traffic between Ch Hill and Durham (along 15/501) is among the worse, and I think you'll probably exceed your 30 minute commute. You'd be better off driving further from Apex, Cary, or Morrisville, along better roads. Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 AM

I know my requirements for a "smaller" home in a larger lot seems silly, even to me but since I started looking, it has all been 4-5000 sq feet on .3 acre lots. At that size of home, there really is no yard, at least that is what I have noticed. And I can't imagine cleaning that amount of space much less furnishing it! I am realizing that at least in the newer constructions in Cary/Apex and even in CH, the trend is for larger lots with tons of square footage and if I want a smaller home, the lot size will shrink accordingly.

I think the property tax factor is also an issue that we have to consider more. Durham and Orange counties are both higher than Wake and it is something that will be paid every year. My agent is trying to remind me of that. I will be coming down with my kids this weekend to visit schools and also just to drive around Cary, CH and Durham just to get a better feel for the neighborhoods.

Thanks again everyone and if there are any other areas that I should look into, please chime in!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Part is in Alamance, but part is in Orange. I live in Mebane on the Orange County side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary