Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
I assume the OP was asking about trends in situations where all things being equal. In other words if looking at upper scale 3000-5000 sqft homes in SoCal and comparing them to homes of similar size here, one might notice different landscape trends. Most people that have already decided they need a mcmansion are not going to suddenly say "we can't afford landscaping", so I don't think simple economics really explains it. I also think Southern California has had a rougher time over the last twelve years or so than this region.
With the growing uncertainty of Southern California's water resources, Los Angeles actually pays homeowners to rip out their grass lawns and switch to whatever doesn't need watering. I think they pay a couple of bucks per sq. yard. A few other Western cities do this also. They enter an agreement with the city forbidding even future property owners from switching back to grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 05:49 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
Sometimes restrictions or covenants help save us from ourselves. Lots of custom landscaping or swimming pools can actually make a home a lot harder to sell if you ever need to and will usually not come close to recovering original cost by adding to the resale value. It's true with any customization I suppose, because it adds a subjective element and hinders the new homeowners ability to make the place feel like their own unless they happen to be in agreement with your exact taste.

Maybe you'll never sell your place, but most people stay in a house on average 5-8 years around here so the odds are against anyone staying "forever" in their home.
I actually wasn't putting a pool in for resale value, just for my own personal desire, but the Town of Cary won't let me do it and I've got a yard with plenty of space for a pool and grass.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 PM

292 posts, read 507,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I actually wasn't putting a pool in for resale value, just for my own personal desire, but the Town of Cary won't let me do it and I've got a yard with plenty of space for a pool and grass.
Yeah, Cary is kind of the North Korea of the Triangle -- not the best place to be if you're into heavy yard customization.

I'm sure there's a chart out there that shows the 30 approved yard possibilities in Cary

North Koreans get to pick from 28 state-approved haircuts* - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary