Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:09 AM

89 posts, read 444,189 times

Advertisements

Anyone have an opinion on the single family homes at Arlington Park in Amberly? They are by KB Homes. I am interested in purchasing a home there. There are only about 6 pieces of land left, so I am feeling quite the pressure to make a decision.

I would like to hear some opinions if possible. I went down there this weekend and spoke to a sales rep, as well as a resident that I stopped walking down the street. He told me to be very wary of upgrades that they do not mention - that most people would not think of…such as frames around windows. I was under the impression that all windows came with frames, but maybe that is just me? These are the little things that add up more and more to the upgrade price. We were told to estimate about 13% for upgrades. The home is $230k with a $3k lot premium. We don't want anything too fancy, like granite countertops or a porch, etc. We are expecting to spend around $250k in the end. Is this estimate about right?

Also, I am from NY, so I would not be around all the time to oversee the construction. The resident told us that we really need to watch over them due to shoddy construction. He has been living there a few months now and says he is still having problems with his drainage and other things under the house…as well as holes in his granite countertops, etc. I just want to know if anyone has some input on the construction process, quality of the homes being built there, what I should really expect to pay in upgrades, etc. We REALLY love the house and can’t wait to get out of NY, although they estimate construction wouldn’t be completed until around March (if we sign this week).

Thanks for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 07:05 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle67 View Post
Anyone have an opinion on the single family homes at Arlington Park in Amberly? They are by KB Homes. I am interested in purchasing a home there. There are only about 6 pieces of land left, so I am feeling quite the pressure to make a decision.

I would like to hear some opinions if possible. I went down there this weekend and spoke to a sales rep, as well as a resident that I stopped walking down the street. He told me to be very wary of upgrades that they do not mention - that most people would not think of…such as frames around windows. I was under the impression that all windows came with frames, but maybe that is just me? These are the little things that add up more and more to the upgrade price. We were told to estimate about 13% for upgrades. The home is $230k with a $3k lot premium. We don't want anything too fancy, like granite countertops or a porch, etc. We are expecting to spend around $250k in the end. Is this estimate about right?

Also, I am from NY, so I would not be around all the time to oversee the construction. The resident told us that we really need to watch over them due to shoddy construction. He has been living there a few months now and says he is still having problems with his drainage and other things under the house…as well as holes in his granite countertops, etc. I just want to know if anyone has some input on the construction process, quality of the homes being built there, what I should really expect to pay in upgrades, etc. We REALLY love the house and can’t wait to get out of NY, although they estimate construction wouldn’t be completed until around March (if we sign this week).

Thanks for any and all help!
My biggest concern for you is that you don't have an agent. The Sales Reps are wonderful...until there is a problem. Then you have to remember...they work for the builder. I say...RUN to the nearest Real Estate Company and grab ANY agent, even if its a brand new agent...someone has to be there to represent you and to help you with any issues that may arise.

Ok...enuff of my lecture...yhea yhea, I know you all say that!

As for KB Homes, I've sold quite a few. The first thing I ask when I walk my clients into the sales model is...what is the standard buyers are putting in upgrades. If they say 10%, add another 10% to that. I recently had 2 clients...base price of home was $165,000. One added $27,000 in options and one added $55,000. Hate to say this...but you'd have a hard time finding anything fancy in either home. In Windcrest, for instance, KB does not give you grids in your back windows...thats an option. You get no moulding around your windows, either. Fireplace is an option. Their base price is so low (thats a good thing) but you should go to their design center and see how expensive the options are to determine if thats how to best spend your money.

I will sell more KB Homes, I just make sure that my clients understand that they are not going to get much for the base price and if thats where they want to end up (base price)...it ain't gonna happen! Oh yhea...on the positive side...the toilets are included!

Vicki

Old 10-16-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
My biggest concern for you is that you don't have an agent. The Sales Reps are wonderful...until there is a problem. Then you have to remember...they work for the builder. I say...RUN to the nearest Real Estate Company and grab ANY agent, even if its a brand new agent...someone has to be there to represent you and to help you with any issues that may arise.

Ok...enuff of my lecture...yhea yhea, I know you all say that!

As for KB Homes, I've sold quite a few. The first thing I ask when I walk my clients into the sales model is...what is the standard buyers are putting in upgrades. If they say 10%, add another 10% to that. I recently had 2 clients...base price of home was $165,000. One added $27,000 in options and one added $55,000. Hate to say this...but you'd have a hard time finding anything fancy in either home. In Windcrest, for instance, KB does not give you grids in your back windows...thats an option. You get no moulding around your windows, either. Fireplace is an option. Their base price is so low (thats a good thing) but you should go to their design center and see how expensive the options are to determine if thats how to best spend your money.

I will sell more KB Homes, I just make sure that my clients understand that they are not going to get much for the base price and if thats where they want to end up (base price)...it ain't gonna happen! Oh yhea...on the positive side...the toilets are included!

Vicki
Well, we did stop in to the design store and looked around, but they would not help us unless we had already signed a contract. The sales rep gave us a price list that he said he is "not supposed" to give us, and we looked over it. We came to just about the amount that we had estimated... about 22k,and allowed for another 5k in "other things" that are probobly hidden, but necessary costs. Also, a lot of the list doesn't really mean anything bc they don't have explanations (i.e. lighting package #1, lighting package #2....). We would opt for the cheaper appliances, cheaper flooring, cheaper cabinets, etc. However, we don't want to compromise our taste either.

The home we chose is in their "higher" end collection in Amberly and includes a lot more things standard, such as the fireplace, updated banister, better cabinets, some hardwood, seperate shower/bath in master, etc. The real problem is that we cannot get the actual prices on the updates until AFTER we have signed the contract. We expressed this as our main concern..and that is when he gave us the price list.

I'm not sure about working with a realtor. We do have sort of a 'heads up' on the situtation, as my sister is a district manager for Ryan Homes and has greatly helped us to decipher the list and figure out what are really necessities vs. luxuries. The sales rep did ensure us that he does a walk through of each home every other day and that he will take photographs during the construction. Also, my sister lives in VA and can take a quick trip down every so often to check up on it. But of course, we still have our doubts...Again, there are only a few plots left...so, we are sort of pressed for time...

Old 10-16-2006, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 23,043 times
Elle67,

I just read your posting, and may be to late to help. If you still need an agent to assist you, send me a message. It is best to have an agent present with you..otherwise, you will not have representation. That area is growing fast, but my concern is the congestion down the road and it gets closer to completion.

I'll be glad to help you, just let me know if you woudl like assistance.

jayme

Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Mortgage Issue

Another thing we are concerned about is the forceful use of Countrywide Mortgage through KB Homes. If we want to sign a contract, we MUST use Countrywide to get an approval...which is fine.

We DON'T have to use them for the loan. However, we feel the pressure to use Countrywide as the lender, due to the fact that KB gives us an upgrade credit of $1,500 and there is no requirement to leave a 20% deposit on upgrades. If we go with a different lender, we lose the credit and must put the 20% down. Also, we know that the interest rates through Countrywide are significantly higher than at other lenders since they do not specializes in purchases. This is a concern to us as it leaves us stuck between a rock and a hard place. I guess the incentives aren't that great to begin with, but putting another 20% down on the upgrades digs a deeper hole in our pockets, since we are first time home buyers and don't have equity from a previous sale.

Anyone have an opinion/experience to share with Countrywide and KB?

Old 10-18-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Well, we did stop in to the design store and looked around, but they would not help us unless we had already signed a contract. The sales rep gave us a price list that he said he is "not supposed" to give us, and we looked over it. We came to just about the amount that we had estimated... about 22k,and allowed for another 5k in "other things" that are probobly hidden, but necessary costs. Also, a lot of the list doesn't really mean anything bc they don't have explanations (i.e. lighting package #1, lighting package #2....). We would opt for the cheaper appliances, cheaper flooring, cheaper cabinets, etc. However, we don't want to compromise our taste either.

The home we chose is in their "higher" end collection in Amberly and includes a lot more things standard, such as the fireplace, updated banister, better cabinets, some hardwood, seperate shower/bath in master, etc. The real problem is that we cannot get the actual prices on the updates until AFTER we have signed the contract. We expressed this as our main concern..and that is when he gave us the price list.

I'm not sure about working with a realtor. We do have sort of a 'heads up' on the situtation, as my sister is a district manager for Ryan Homes and has greatly helped us to decipher the list and figure out what are really necessities vs. luxuries. The sales rep did ensure us that he does a walk through of each home every other day and that he will take photographs during the construction. Also, my sister lives in VA and can take a quick trip down every so often to check up on it. But of course, we still have our doubts...Again, there are only a few plots left...so, we are sort of pressed for time...

I KNOW I sound like a broken record but I do not understand why you would not want a Realtor? The people onsite are SALES ASSOCIATES. They are there to SELL you a house. They work for the builder. You do not pay for a buyer's agent. Its included in the base price of the house. I can tell you this, after selling 2 KB Homes, when it comes time for the walk through and you see problems...who is going to solve those problems? NOT the sales associate, who WORKS FOR THE BUILDER. It was always up to me to make sure my clients were happy. No, I am not doing this to get sales...heaven knows I have enough clients of my own. I want you to call ANYONE. But please, have a Realtor who knows the area and knows how to deal with new construction to work on your behalf. Have your sister find someone for you. Have your agent in the town you are in, call Relo and have them find you a Realtor. Ok...enuff of my lecture...I'm taking mom and dad and hubby and daughter to the STATE FAIR! I'll eat enuff for us all! Y'all have a wonderful day!!! Vicki

Old 10-18-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Realtor

I don't know, I guess maybe it works a little differently where we are now. In our opinion it doesn't really seem like a realtor would do that much for us with new construction...existing homes, maybe. It seems like the builders would be reluctant to work with realtors, which may cause more problems/issues for us. After speaking to my sister who has been working for another builder for years now, she pretty much told us that having a realtor for representation in new construction doesn't make a difference and we don't really need one - Especially in this situation where there are only a few spots left and they have a line of people that are interested. But perhaps we don't fully understand, or maybe the market is different there?

I'm just waiting for the barrage of responses from all the realtors now...

Old 10-18-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I guess maybe it works a little differently where we are now. In our opinion it doesn't really seem like a realtor would do that much for us with new construction...existing homes, maybe. It seems like the builders would be reluctant to work with realtors, which may cause more problems/issues for us. After speaking to my sister who has been working for another builder for years now, she pretty much told us that having a realtor for representation in new construction doesn't make a difference and we don't really need one - Especially in this situation where there are only a few spots left and they have a line of people that are interested. But perhaps we don't fully understand, or maybe the market is different there?

I'm just waiting for the barrage of responses from all the realtors now...
Ok...I'm going to tell you HOW I help my clients with new construction...for example...most of the incentives ARE tied into using the builder's lender. I look over the Good Faith Estimate for my clients. I can tell you that sometimes the builder's lender will charge more. So...I get one of my lenders to do a Good Faith Estimate and the builder's lender will then most likely match what my lender has offered. So...I have saved my client on the interest rate.

Another example...did a walk through with my client. They were not happy that the house was not ready for the walk through. Painters were still working and we had NO AIR CONDITIONING. I then spoke with the builder's superintendent and told him that I had concerns with this builder from day one, my clients were not happy and so I wasn't happy. They asked what they could do. My clients were not going to speak up so I did. I told them we wanted "something" for our trouble. They offered us a free garage door opener but my clients' parents were giving them that. I asked for crown moulding throughout the downstairs and they said YES. This was an $1100 option.

I could give you so many examples but again...the realtor's commission is in the base price. If you don't use an agent, that money goes back to the builder or to the sales associate so you've saved no money but you have given away FREE representation that may come in very handy at some time.

Vicki

Old 10-18-2006, 10:41 PM

312 posts, read 1,905,066 times
Hi! You really, really, really need an agent. I'll tell you why: as a home buyer from FL, we found our dream home in Clayton. Our agent helped us so much and keep us informed about our new home (while it was building). He took pictures from the beginning to the end. He goes inside and outside of the house to make sure everything's okay. He's like a "watchdog" for us, since we lives in Fl and we can't "see" what the builders are doing with our new house. He found a quite few hidden errors/cost for us and corrected it.

Believe me, you'll be safer if you have your own agent. He or she can help you to cut down the costs, reduce errors, and more.

Good luck on purchasing your new home.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Too late

I think it is too late at this point. I am told that this will just aggravate the sales people, which will lead them to be much more stringent and uncooperative. I don't want any problems in the future from starting off on the wrong foot...although we may see it as the right foot. Honestly, I would be pissed too if I were in their position and brought an agent in at the last minute.

Does anyone have an opinion on this community as a whole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary