Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Sacred Grooves. I strongly recommend you contact him at A1 House Inspectors. He has been doing it for a long time and is quite proficient.

I must admit that I get a good laugh when people talk about inspecting a house themselves or "they have a friend" in construction that will look at it for them. Fact is, very few people have the overall knowledge and ability to do it properly. An inspector is trained in all systems of the house-he's not just a plumber or an electrician or a framer! In my experience (as a builder), these friends often turn out to be a joke (and I'm being kind)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majidmo View Post
I used Jernigan & Associates a few months ago on a new townhouse based on recommendations here. I would not recommend them. I found out later a wall was bowed and sink in master bedroom had a leak. Not much you can do with the wall but I expected for $410 inspector would point those issues.
You might be able to do a better job asking a smart friend with a sharp eye to walk the house with you. My next house I would definitely ask the person who noticed the issue with the wall to help me out inspecting the house.
Did you contact him and discuss the issue? ALL inspectors can and will miss issues. In your case, perhaps the bowed wall was not a structural issue but simply cosmetic (likely the case). Cosmetic issues are NOT to be noted on inspection report summaries! It is possible for things to be working fine at the time of inspection but fail later.

I have known Clausen for many years and found him to be a reasonable person.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I have used Mark Sommer from Pillar to Post several times and found him to be very thorough.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 PM

40 posts, read 64,717 times
sacredgrooves was booked up when we were inspecting our home this summer. We ended up using Rich Greco. Very thorough--we were quite pleased! Richard Greco Home Services

Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,058 times
Another +1 for sacredgrooves. We used him in our current house and were very pleased.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 PM

219 posts, read 483,871 times
Based on a recommendation from my realtor, I used USInspect and was very pleased with the service and the thoroughness of the report. As an aside, I was also glad that the inspector (Alan Brown) didn't talk down to me.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 9,766 times
I used Sacred Grooves this last May and was very happy with A1 House Inspectors !!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM

116 posts, read 268,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Did you contact him and discuss the issue? ALL inspectors can and will miss issues. In your case, perhaps the bowed wall was not a structural issue but simply cosmetic (likely the case). Cosmetic issues are NOT to be noted on inspection report summaries! It is possible for things to be working fine at the time of inspection but fail later.

I have known Clausen for many years and found him to be a reasonable person.
By later, I meant a few weeks later, not a few years later. The wall bowing was not cosmetic and builder accepted to fix it. They don't cover cosmetic under their warranty.
I am pretty sure the inspector did not notice the wall or sink problem at all. I was there with him and he could just have said something. He mentioned a few much smaller cosmetic things.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 AM

164 posts, read 287,439 times
Just updating to say that Carter Worthington from Terratech ended up coming out and was wonderful. Answered all of our (probably very mundane/annoying) questions, and didn't rush us. Ended up getting in contact with Sacredgrooves from A1 as well because he was so highly regarded, but he was booked solid during the time frame we needed him, otherwise I'm sure he would have been fantastic as well. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Wow, I appreciate the compliments everyone! I am glad Carter worked out for you and wish we could have helped. Best of luck with your house and you (or anyone here for that matter) can always contact me with house questions regardless if I did the inspection or not. I love to help City-Data, awesome forum with great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary