Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just curious, what breathtaking feature(s) are you looking for? The "non Apple elitist" reviews I have seen have not been impressed with the new phones. They certainly disappointed many with pricing on the 5c.

"Non Apple Elitist" is code for "Fandroid"

The 5c is priced correctly. It is the same as the 5, with some minor changes that make it better, quite honestly. The 5 would be 100 dollars for a 16gb on a 2-year contract now, anyway.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Hey, I currently work a security sidegig at an Apple Store up here. As always they are anticipating very long lines around the country for the release on Friday. I went on the Verizon website and you can pre order the 5C but not the S. I'm sure Sprint and AT&T are the same. They want you at their store to buy the 5S initially. I know that the stores will have only a certain number of these phones for sale for each carrier. This usually lasts a month or so until they can get more phones from China. Like I said, expect a long wait at an Apple store and don't be disappointed if the gold 5S is not available. They expect the gold 5S to fly off the shelves here in NY.

On a side note, some store employees tested out the new IOS7 and it the reviews are so so. They changed all of the icons and the colors which I don't really like. However they do make a great phone and their computers are top notch but very expensive. Good luck on Friday!
I think the gold will be the hardest to come by. I agree with you there. Fortunately, I think those are rather unattractive.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
I'll be up with y'all at 3am I think. Maybe try the app, I'm not sure which is the easiest and fastest way to get in line.

We usually do pretty well selling off the old phones on Craigslist and using that to upgrade. Keeps costs low. Through my wife's job we also get 25% off our entire bill, so our bill for two iPhones with unlimited data and more than plenty talk minutes is pretty reasonable as bills go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
I've heard in the past that ordering through the Apple Store app gives a better chance of success than trying to order from the website, at least when there's a big new release or preorder available and the web servers are getting hammered.
You would be correct.

Ordered that way the past couple of years. App always beat the site.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I'll be up with y'all at 3am I think. Maybe try the app, I'm not sure which is the easiest and fastest way to get in line.

We usually do pretty well selling off the old phones on Craigslist and using that to upgrade. Keeps costs low. Through my wife's job we also get 25% off our entire bill, so our bill for two iPhones with unlimited data and more than plenty talk minutes is pretty reasonable as bills go.
eBay has been pretty easy and nice for me to sell on. I also locked in with amazon to trade mine in for about 225 if shipped before october 15th, just in case prices drop on them.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I never said anything about breathtaking features. All I said was I was upgrading.

I currently have a 4s, which has a smaller screen, is heavy, thick, and only has 3G data. I'm upgrading to the 5s to get a smaller, thinner, lighter, LTE device with a better camera. I can then sell my 4s for almost what I spend on the 5s and not have much of an upgrade cost.

The 5c was rumored to be a "cheap" iphone but that is not the reality of what Apple was trying to do with it. It's a fully featured iPhone that is slightly less than the higher end 5s, and replaces the 5 with more features and lower cost. Apple never intended it to be a "cheap" phone so expecting pricing to be inline with android was not really reasonable in retrospect. From everything I've read, anyway.
You are going to love the bump in speed.

Me, I'm upgrading from 5 to 5s for the extra LTE bands and the fingerprint sensor. I get sick of typing in my long password (required for work).

Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
eBay has been pretty easy and nice for me to sell on. I also locked in with amazon to trade mine in for about 225 if shipped before october 15th, just in case prices drop on them.
Ebay's not bad, but they charge big fees and then I have to ship, etc. Easier to meet someone in a public place and say - here, it works, its in good shape, gimme cash, and go home.

Even better, I recently jumped in my pool with the 4s in my pocket (stupid) and luckily Applecare replaced it for $49. So now I have a "Fresh" 4s which I am hoping means an easier sale. The downside is it's 64GB and those can be harder to sell than the 16/32GB models.

On the new one, my research indicates that SquareTrade is the best warranty option because you can get a 3 year deal and their deductible is only $50 whereas Apple's is $80 now.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Quote:
Ebay's not bad, but they charge big fees and then I have to ship, etc. Easier to meet someone in a public place and say - here, it works, its in good shape, gimme cash, and go home.

Even better, I recently jumped in my pool with the 4s in my pocket (stupid) and luckily Applecare replaced it for $49. So now I have a "Fresh" 4s which I am hoping means an easier sale. The downside is it's 64GB and those can be harder to sell than the 16/32GB models.

On the new one, my research indicates that SquareTrade is the best warranty option because you can get a 3 year deal and their deductible is only $50 whereas Apple's is $80 now.
Mine is brand new as of 3 days ago due to battery life issues!

SquareTrade does have a great warranty, but when I break my phone I want to be able to go right into the store, been saved a number of times the same day

Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna trade my 5. It's 64gb and those don't make much extra money. Trade is 400 for it.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Mine is brand new as of 3 days ago due to battery life issues!

SquareTrade does have a great warranty, but when I break my phone I want to be able to go right into the store, been saved a number of times the same day
SquareTrade allows Genius Bar same day repairs or replacements via reimbursement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary