Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM

959 posts, read 4,487,948 times

Advertisements

I think there's an awful lot of generalizing going on in this thread Not all young mothers obsess about material things, and not all older mothers are mature or self sacrificing. And staying at home is not always the self sacrificing choice (though it sure feels like it sometimes!), or the better choice. For some women there is no choice.

Generally though there does seem to be a move towards people in their 20s viewing themselves, and being viewed, as not quite grownups yet. Like how the media will sometimes refer to Britney Spears as a "young mother" as though her age were enough to explain away any parenting snafu. Plenty of us who began having children in our 20s (or younger!) read our car seat manuals You know how people say the 50s are the new 40s and the 40s are the new 30s and so on? I guess that pushes the 20s down into the teenage years

I think that more and more, people delay having children because they don't feel ready for (or want) the responsibility rather than because of financial concerns. Americans are more financially secure than previous generations, but are having children later. And less of them.

The US is actually very close to not being able to replace ourselves. I'm trying to do my part...up to 4 so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 04:55 PM

460 posts, read 1,767,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
I'm trying to do my part...up to 4 so far
Good. You made up for me! I don't have any, yet (I thought I'd work on getting a hubby first )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary