Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM

56 posts, read 92,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Price range?

I don't know that you'll find good renting sites, because they really vary in their quality of info.

What you might want to keep in mind is that where you live will really be based on where you find a job (unless your husband already has a job lined up here that he needs to be close to?).

This area is full of sprawl and we don't have any sort of subway or light rail system... just cars and roads, really. Some buses, but I'd hardly count on them with a 2yo child.
I understand that I will need a car. I think I can get used to that. I don't take subway everyday as I work and live in suburb of NYC. We don't have jobs lined up. I guess I just looked on line and saw that for the same price I am paying for a 1 bedroom apt here in NY, I could rent a 4 bedroom house. I thought it was too good to be true. I asked around and found out that is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearyjoy View Post
I understand that I will need a car. I think I can get used to that. I don't take subway everyday as I work and live in suburb of NYC. We don't have jobs lined up. I guess I just looked on line and saw that for the same price I am paying for a 1 bedroom apt here in NY, I could rent a 4 bedroom house. I thought it was too good to be true. I asked around and found out that is the norm.
Housing is more affordable here. That is true. Most jobs also pay less than they would in NY (well, the area of NY that's near the city, of course).

So, you need to take salary into consideration.

Simple math. If you can make, say, 3k a month in NY, and your rent is 1k a month,

Moving here to make 2k with rent of 1k (plus extra expenses to own and maintain a car) makes no sense at all.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:49 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
I guess I just looked on line and saw that for the same price I am paying for a 1 bedroom apt here in NY, I could rent a 4 bedroom house. I thought it was too good to be true. I asked around and found out that is the norm.
That's the norm in hundreds of cities throughout the entire country. NYC is skewed in it's pricing structure for rentals, along with a few other cities. If that's your criteria, you've got plenty of places to consider besides Raleigh/Durham.

And meh whatever makes some GREAT points.

go where you can get a job. If that's here, then welcome!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Housing is more affordable here. That is true. Most jobs also pay less than they would in NY (well, the area of NY that's near the city, of course).

So, you need to take salary into consideration.

Simple math. If you can make, say, 3k a month in NY, and your rent is 1k a month,

Moving here to make 2k with rent of 1k (plus extra expenses to own and maintain a car) makes no sense at all.
I do realize that salary is lower there as well. I have taken it into consideration.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's the norm in hundreds of cities throughout the entire country. NYC is skewed in it's pricing structure for rentals, along with a few other cities. If that's your criteria, you've got plenty of places to consider besides Raleigh/Durham.

And meh whatever makes some GREAT points.

go where you can get a job. If that's here, then welcome!
I am sure it is norm in other areas outside the NY area. We chose NC. It is the only state hubby and I could agree on.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:38 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
I am sure it is norm in other areas outside the NY area. We chose NC. It is the only state hubby and I could agree on.
I'm not picking on you, really, I'm not. But Maybe if you explained why you both chose NC, we'd be able to help you better.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not picking on you, really, I'm not. But Maybe if you explained why you both chose NC, we'd be able to help you better.
I agree with Jkgourmet. We cannot help you without knowing why you might want to move here? Do we have what appears to be a plentiful supply of jobs that might be open in your chosen profession(s)?

Have you ever been here?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Beside the lower cost of living, another factor is he is running away from the snow. He originally chose FL, but I know I would not be able to deal with the heat in the summer. Also, I need to still see the seasons change. I know NC gets some snow, but not nearly as much as we see here in NY. I thought of TX as well, but we have family in SC and we thought it would be better to be closer to them. That is about it.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:19 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
It gets HOT here in the summer too. Heck, its 90 degrees right now. The biggest issue, though, is getting jobs before you make any decisions. This is important not only for price, but for location. There is a lot of sprawl in this area. You don't want to rent an apartment on one side of the city and then end up employed on the other side, where there are schools and apartments that are just as good. So I would start by finding a job for at least one of you, and then we can help you find an apartment in a great area that won't kill you on the commute. Good luck!!

Old 10-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Beside the lower cost of living, another factor is he is running away from the snow. He originally chose FL, but I know I would not be able to deal with the heat in the summer. Also, I need to still see the seasons change. I know NC gets some snow, but not nearly as much as we see here in NY. I thought of TX as well, but we have family in SC and we thought it would be better to be closer to them. That is about it.
Move to SC? If you have family there and no jobs here, wouldn't that be easier? Weather is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary