Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 PM

276 posts, read 645,944 times

Advertisements

My son goes to an in-home daycare 1 day a week, and we pay $50/day (even though he is often only there for part of the day, it's a flat rate.) But, she watches 3 other children at the same time. For a one on one deal, you're really more of a nanny than a daycare, and I would expect to pay more. We had a nanny for a while before switching to the in-home daycare route. When we had the nanny, we paid $10/hour, and she brought her son. We also fed her, and didn't have her do any sort of housekeeping. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:40 PM

51,584 posts, read 25,511,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkinmama View Post

Taxes would be more favorable were I an employee, but then my friend would have to pay more, so I'm not sure how she'll feel. I haven't known her long and am not sure whether she is planning to pay me under the table. I'd rather not do it that way.
I believe part of determining whether you're an employee or an independent contractor is whether you work for only one employer or if you have a number of clients. Many authors have virtual assistants who work from their homes. If the VA works for only one writer, then it's an employee.

Just as you don't want to overcharge your friend, you don't want to undercharge either and lose your enthusiasm for this. It's a lot of work taking care of a child. Plus, your child will get less of your time and attention. The reimbursement needs to such that you believe it is a fair trade or you won't want to continue.

I would also encourage you to not work under the table. Never a good idea.

The cost of good childcare is not cheap. Sometimes, it hardly makes working worthwhile. May be part of why you're staying home. But there is no reason you need to be subsidizing someone else's childcare.

Now if she was a dear friend instead of a recent one, or a relative and you wanted to do this out of the goodness of your heart, then that's another matter.

Good for you for thinking this through before jumping in.

If it turns out your new friend thinks the cost is too much and you still want to do it, there will likely be other families looking for a good care for their kids. Just a thought.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:16 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,014,785 times
It's scary how many ads on Craigslist ask for like $85-100/WEEK! I don't get it!

I will be staying home when our baby comes in March but will need to generate some kind of income. I thought about watching just one child in our home but the liability stuff scares me. If I were going to do it though, I'd probably ask for about $150/week which really doesn't turn out to be much per hour but it would be in MY home and benefitting me so I can stay home with my own child. I feel like you can ask more if you are nannying in someone else's home but it may also depend on your area of the triangle (I doubt I'd get much more than $200/week in my area, if that).

Old 10-03-2013, 07:50 AM

20 posts, read 50,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I believe part of determining whether you're an employee or an independent contractor is whether you work for only one employer or if you have a number of clients. Many authors have virtual assistants who work from their homes. If the VA works for only one writer, then it's an employee.

Just as you don't want to overcharge your friend, you don't want to undercharge either and lose your enthusiasm for this. It's a lot of work taking care of a child. Plus, your child will get less of your time and attention. The reimbursement needs to such that you believe it is a fair trade or you won't want to continue.

I would also encourage you to not work under the table. Never a good idea.

The cost of good childcare is not cheap. Sometimes, it hardly makes working worthwhile. May be part of why you're staying home. But there is no reason you need to be subsidizing someone else's childcare.

Now if she was a dear friend instead of a recent one, or a relative and you wanted to do this out of the goodness of your heart, then that's another matter.

Good for you for thinking this through before jumping in.

If it turns out your new friend thinks the cost is too much and you still want to do it, there will likely be other families looking for a good care for their kids. Just a thought.
Really helpful advice: thank you! Lots to think about.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 AM

20 posts, read 50,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
It's scary how many ads on Craigslist ask for like $85-100/WEEK! I don't get it!

I will be staying home when our baby comes in March but will need to generate some kind of income. I thought about watching just one child in our home but the liability stuff scares me. If I were going to do it though, I'd probably ask for about $150/week which really doesn't turn out to be much per hour but it would be in MY home and benefitting me so I can stay home with my own child. I feel like you can ask more if you are nannying in someone else's home but it may also depend on your area of the triangle (I doubt I'd get much more than $200/week in my area, if that).
Yeah, not sure if I trust those Craigslist ones!

Do you mean you'd accept $150 per week pre-tax? For full-time care, that is well below the minimum wage. I am surprised.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,526 times
My kids used to go to an in-home daycare. We paid $650 per month for them (each) at the in-home daycare, vs $1000 per month at a daycare center (all food included in both cases). An in-home daycare is in her own home and sets her own hours, and probably takes other kids besides just yours. If she takes more than 3 children from more than 2 families (including her own), she must be licensed, but even then can only take up to 5 pre-school aged kids (plus 3 afterschool kids I think). In our case, she had 5 kids, each paying $650 per month, so while each of us were paying less than "minimum wage" individually, she was making more when considering all of the kids collectively.

A nanny is a different situation, and would cost more than a center. But a nanny works only for you (unless you have a "nanny share" arrangement), and often in your home. That's why a nanny costs so much more - you have to pay the whole amount yourself. If you are only going to take kids from one family and they are setting the hours and terms, then I'd say you may be considered a nanny even if you are working from your own home. In that case they will pay more, plus they have to pay nanny taxes. But they may not be interested in doing this if it's still going to cost more than a center. In my opinion, a nanny doesn't become cost effective until you have at least 2 or 3 kids.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,074,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My kids used to go to an in-home daycare. We paid $650 per month for them (each) at the in-home daycare, vs $1000 per month at a daycare center (all food included in both cases). An in-home daycare is in her own home and sets her own hours, and probably takes other kids besides just yours. If she takes more than 3 children from more than 2 families (including her own), she must be licensed, but even then can only take up to 5 pre-school aged kids (plus 3 afterschool kids I think). In our case, she had 5 kids, each paying $650 per month, so while each of us were paying less than "minimum wage" individually, she was making more when considering all of the kids collectively.

A nanny is a different situation, and would cost more than a center. But a nanny works only for you (unless you have a "nanny share" arrangement), and often in your home. That's why a nanny costs so much more - you have to pay the whole amount yourself. If you are only going to take kids from one family and they are setting the hours and terms, then I'd say you may be considered a nanny even if you are working from your own home. In that case they will pay more, plus they have to pay nanny taxes. But they may not be interested in doing this if it's still going to cost more than a center. In my opinion, a nanny doesn't become cost effective until you have at least 2 or 3 kids.
I bet she really didn't make much more than minimum after taxes, licensure, paying for food and supplies, etc.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,330,101 times
$150/week? Let me know when I can sign up!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I bet she really didn't make much more than minimum after taxes, licensure, paying for food and supplies, etc.
Maybe so, but she did better running her own home daycare than she had done working in a center, where she and most of the other teachers also had to have part-time evening jobs to make ends meet. Even for a lead teacher, daycare centers don't usually pay very well.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,200,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkinmama View Post
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, $8 per hour does seem reasonable, but I worry that my friend will feel this is too much! I find it hard to quantify the effort in money terms, never having looked after another child alongside my one-year-old. Maybe I will have this figure in mind and ask what she herself had in mind. We can probably reach an agreement.

With regard to taxation, I have been trying to figure that all out. A nanny in her charge's home will be considered to be employed by the parents, whereas a babysitter working from her own home would be considered self-employed in the sense that she would call the shots in terms of how the day is run. However, the hours would be set by the parents, which is one of the conditions for being considered an employee rather than self-employed.

Taxes would be more favorable were I an employee, but then my friend would have to pay more, so I'm not sure how she'll feel. I haven't known her long and am not sure whether she is planning to pay me under the table. I'd rather not do it that way.
that really seems high for in-home care of a friend. Centers charge 200-250/week and in home is usually less. 150 is about average. 8.00/hour would be 320/week. Can they afford that? that is high for child care. I know when you break it down hourly it seems right, but 1300/month is a lot-more than a center would charge.
8-12/hour is what people pay for part-time evenings out sitters, not full time providers. My former co-worker paid a daycare 1500/month for 2 kids full time. Another paid their neighbor 150/week.
We have always had to work opposite shifts to avoid daycare ($$$ and the headaches/worries)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary