U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: A/C on in October?
Yes 68 90.67%
No 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
 
2,356 posts, read 2,477,974 times
Reputation: 2288

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The cost to install a mini-split is fairly high. Purchase price is fairly inexpensive (just like a normal split unit, look up online costs of a small 1 or 2 ton split unit, it's fairly close) but the install is where they get you. In Raleigh owners are not allowed to install a/c systems themselves, just repair minor components on them.
You can get a heat pump mini split. I would buy it and then call and have them bid to install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 AM
 
958 posts, read 1,589,907 times
Reputation: 623
I use the AC for sure. But I'm going to see how far I can push without turning the heat on this year. Maybe we can start a separate thread where we can post when we gave in to the gas and oil company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 09:11 AM
 
10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
Reputation: 9849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
You can get a heat pump mini split. I would buy it and then call and have them bid to install.
?

Whether it's a heat pump or strictly an a/c (if there are any even) mini-split, cost is the same to install. My point was that the bulk of the cost of a mini-split is install not purchase price, due to EPA and local laws reducing homeowners ability to DIY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM
 
2,356 posts, read 2,477,974 times
Reputation: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
?

Whether it's a heat pump or strictly an a/c (if there are any even) mini-split, cost is the same to install. My point was that the bulk of the cost of a mini-split is install not purchase price, due to EPA and local laws reducing homeowners ability to DIY.
You can do the whole install yourself. You only need the HVAC tech to vacuum and fill the system. You may need an electrician but the wiring is simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 01:27 PM
 
10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
Reputation: 9849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
You can do the whole install yourself. You only need the HVAC tech to vacuum and fill the system. You may need an electrician but the wiring is simple.


Yes, I know it's possible to do it yourself, the issue is it's against Raleigh code to do so. Any major system repair or install (including: install/replace ducts, furnaces, air handlers, outdoor units) must be issued a permit under a contract's license.

A mini split uses an outdoor unit. Running the wiring for it would also require a permit (could be done yourself).

FYI mini-splits come precharged up to a certain line length (10-15 ft?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,188,600 times
Reputation: 2224
Temperature ranges between 68 and 73 in the house year round. This means some days we have heat in the morning and AC in the afternoon. The rule is no sweating in the house while sitting around. I would allow lower temps in winter and tell family to wear an extra layer, but wife objects to that. Can't open windows due to allergies in fall and especially spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 PM
 
2,356 posts, read 2,477,974 times
Reputation: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post


Yes, I know it's possible to do it yourself, the issue is it's against Raleigh code to do so. Any major system repair or install (including: install/replace ducts, furnaces, air handlers, outdoor units) must be issued a permit under a contract's license.

A mini split uses an outdoor unit. Running the wiring for it would also require a permit (could be done yourself).

FYI mini-splits come precharged up to a certain line length (10-15 ft?).
I looked on Craigslist and came up with a few names for independents that do HVAC. I am sure you can get one of these independents for a reasonable price.

HVAC-SERVICE YOUR UNIT!!/FREON AVAILABLE!! SERVICE ALL UNIT!!
Air Conditioning repair price list
VERY AFFORDABLE HVAC SERVICES-SAME/NEXT DAY- (WAKE)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM
 
10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
Reputation: 9849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I looked on Craigslist and came up with a few names for independents that do HVAC. I am sure you can get one of these independents for a reasonable price.

HVAC-SERVICE YOUR UNIT!!/FREON AVAILABLE!! SERVICE ALL UNIT!!
Air Conditioning repair price list
VERY AFFORDABLE HVAC SERVICES-SAME/NEXT DAY- (WAKE)
LOL. The only guy that is even slightly legit is the last guy (honestly, I can't believe someone is advertising using stop leak), and he holds ONLY a "Plumbing Class I" cert from the state. Nothing related to HVAC.

You must have a heating group 3 license by the state to pull permits for this work.

Give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM
 
2,900 posts, read 3,882,719 times
Reputation: 2396
The high yesterday was 62.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Cary
2,466 posts, read 2,826,852 times
Reputation: 2751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Temperature ranges between 68 and 73 in the house year round. This means some days we have heat in the morning and AC in the afternoon. The rule is no sweating in the house while sitting around. I would allow lower temps in winter and tell family to wear an extra layer, but wife objects to that. Can't open windows due to allergies in fall and especially spring.
Ditto this. We get our house cold for sleeping. In the tween temps we too have AC at night and heat in the morning. Since we don't require much of each it's not as costly as one would think. AC on for a half hour, heat on for a half hour. Key thing is that we are comfortable regardless of what the cost would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top