U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,499,610 times

Advertisements

Do it yourself. It is cheaper and you can buy the same chemicals.

Do It Yourself Pest Control Products & Supplies | Do My Own Pest Control

Do It Yourself Pest Control Supplies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,849,811 times
Really how can anybody always keep critters out of their homes around here? We have a new house (2008) with all the treatments necessary yet we had fruit flies this summer really bad. We occasionally see a cockroach as big as one of our cats, sometimes find silverfish in the bathrooms. We live in the woods and quite frankly I'm not surprised to see these critters. My neighbors had bats in their attic, we all find snakes in our garages and sometimes mice as well.

Isn't all that part of living in N.C.?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM

75 posts, read 149,024 times
We bought our house last year - it was inspected for termites after the construction (i remember seeing something related to that when I was signing the documents for closing). I plan to keep the same company for the yearly termite inspection...

For the pests, I bought the $15-20 bug chemical from homedepot and sprayed it outside along the perimeter myself. It takes only 30 minutes and doing it once every 6 months-1 yr should be enough. I haven't seen any spider coming inside since I sprayed

Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 AM

533 posts, read 977,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Other than annual termite inspections, we've never had a pest service and don't see a need for one
I agree. I'm less concerned about the occasional spider or ant and more concerned about the chemicals that the pest control services spray.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,755,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
I agree. I'm less concerned about the occasional spider or ant and more concerned about the chemicals that the pest control services spray.
Agreed. In the past I would buy the pesticides approved for "indoor" use and apply them once in the spring outside our home around the foundation. Since we've closed/conditioned our crawl space I've stopped doing even that. Bugs generally like moisture so the attraction for them is gone. A couple of HVACs techs told me once that they like seeing bugs in open vented crawl space areas. Because if there are no bugs -there's probably a snake.

Another effective way to stop the occasional roach and some other bugs (i.e. silverfish) is to get in the habit of closing your drains.

Frank

Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM

292 posts, read 421,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
A couple of HVACs techs told me once that they like seeing bugs in open vented crawl space areas. Because if there are no bugs -there's probably a snake.
Man I'd take the snake over the bugs, especially a black snake or eastern king, they get rid of a lot of undesirables in a crawlspace or basement including rodents and copperheads.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM

219 posts, read 413,250 times
You absolutely should have pest control done quarterly. I don't think anyone needs to do a full-on termite treatment unless there is evidence of active termites. A pest control company may not be honest with you about it though; they may say you need it even if you don't.

The house I just bought had not been treated for termites since it was built and sure enough both the pest control and home inspector found evidence of active termites. Luckily it was caught early, but if the seller had been keeping up with treatment, it wouldn't have happened.

I am very very very funny about bugs so one of my first orders of business is going to be to have the pest control company come over and spray spray spray inside and out. I went over to the house hast night and one of my fears had been realized -- homeowner had planted lovely morning glories to twine up the back porch railing, but all it did was attract ANTS ANTS ANTS and last night i saw them pouring in through the back door threshold. ARRGGHHH.

I gave them a good dose of Bifen and then spritzed it all around the doorframe too.

Morning glories gotta go. People laugh at me when I say it, but plants that are too close to the house are nothing but a bridge to attract bugs and moisture. Anything you plant near your house must have enough room to grow without touching it.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM

292 posts, read 421,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
You absolutely should have pest control done quarterly. I don't think anyone needs to do a full-on termite treatment unless there is evidence of active termites. A pest control company may not be honest with you about it though; they may say you need it even if you don't.

The house I just bought had not been treated for termites since it was built and sure enough both the pest control and home inspector found evidence of active termites. Luckily it was caught early, but if the seller had been keeping up with treatment, it wouldn't have happened.
When I read your first paragraph, I was going to say that a 10-year treatment is a good idea in this area even if you don't see evidence of active termites, because once termites get started, they can begin damaging pretty quickly, and whether fixing it cost several hundred or several thousand is going to depend primarily on:

1. Whether you can see with your own eye the damage or signs of them when they begin
2. How often you order a professional inspection (annually?)
3. How much time elapses between the start of the infestation and the next termite inspection (assuming the pest control person is truly thorough and sees the signs of them).

Read #3 again. If your termite inspection is in May and the termites decide to take up camp in June, they could be working on your house for a year before the next inspection finds them (or they may have already been working on it but the damage or tunnels weren't seen).

So, your second paragraph kind of sums it up: "luckily it was caught early". If someone does not want to depend on luck and be sure their home is free of termites, it's my opinion that preventative treatment, before activity is spotted, is worthwhile.

Every time I hear of someone repairing termite damage, it's usually in the $2k-$5k range, so if you figure a few hundred bucks once every ten years to keep them out altogether, it seems like a pretty good deal.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,167,414 times
We just bought a new construction house in March and we started right away with pest control (had it on our old home). It doesn't matter how new your home is, most places around here will see insects and spiders right away. Even with our quarterly treatments we have barn/garden spiders outside our house and I've seen some spiders in our garage as well. Spiders are almost impossible to kill, since they will move to higher ground to build their webs. I actually don't mind the spiders as long as they build their webs out of the way, which they have done since we first treated our property. We have actually named and come very found of a garden spider that has hung around for the last two months and now laid two eggs sacks. We're going to relocate the sacks as soon as she dies during first frost, since we've read the eggs won't hatch until spring. We also have two big barn spiders on the back rear 2nd floor downspout and the front side 2nd floor downspout. I actually like them being there since they take care of a lot of bugs. What we don't see are insects in the house. If you don't get your house treated right away (even a new house) you will see insects in short order.

Spiders don't freak us out too much anymore as long as they know their role and stay out of our way

Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,700,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
Every time I hear of someone repairing termite damage, it's usually in the $2k-$5k range, so if you figure a few hundred bucks once every ten years to keep them out altogether, it seems like a pretty good deal.
Having termite treatment is no guarantee you won't ever have a problem...it only lowers your risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary