U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM

292 posts, read 422,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Having termite treatment is no guarantee you won't ever have a problem...it only lowers your risk.
Putting aside for a moment the fact that termite treatments are often warrantied, I'd ask you to consider this:

There are a couple of items that are affected by treating the home...

1) The probability of an infestation occurring at all
2) The areas likely to be affected by an infestation

If a property is treated correctly, the treated areas are unlikely to be vulnerable to infestation. Is there a chance some areas don't receive good treatment coverage? Yes, but it reduces in size the total area that is vulnerable to damage in the event of positive #1 above.

So even if the home does get infested, chances are infestation would be lesser and damage costs less extensive on a treated home.

Another way to look at it is that for less than lunch at McDonalds once a month (assuming treatment every 10 years), you can have insurance that's most likely going to keep multi-thousand dollar termite repairs away, or at least if they do attack the damage will likely be lesser and you'll have more time to spot it. And you get some peace of mind knowing that at least you did what you could to prevent it.

I now sound like a termite plan salesmen, I know (I'm not) and would also add that all of the above requires hiring a competent company (I'm sure there are crooks out there).

Anecdotally, I personally do not know a single person in this area that has had termites that had their home preemptively treated. I do know a number of people that had a termite problem, got treated, and the problem did not recur after treatment. So I'm gonna go with the treating recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary