U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 AM

14 posts, read 18,588 times

Advertisements

Planning a dinner out for about 15 out of towners and they're looking for BBQ! In/around Apex preferred. What would you recommend? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 AM

3,744 posts, read 9,439,107 times
I highly recommend Backyard Barbecue on Highway 55 in Durham. It is only about 3 miles past the 540 overpass. The place is nothing to look at but so good!!

My son is a chef in NYC and found a write up about this place - that's how we found it.
Food is excellent as are the prices. Please read some of the reviews in the following link.

Backyard BBQ Pit - Durham, NC

Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,470,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I highly recommend Backyard Barbecue on Highway 55 in Durham. It is only about 3 miles past the 540 overpass. The place is nothing to look at but so good!!

My son is a chef in NYC and found a write up about this place - that's how we found it.
Food is excellent as are the prices. Please read some of the reviews in the following link.

Backyard BBQ Pit - Durham, NC
Their BBQ is (at least) "pretty good", but their mac-n-cheese is like nectar from the Gods!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:30 PM

219 posts, read 411,232 times
I wasn't crazy about Backyard BBQ (sorry y'all) when I tried it a few years ago ... the only place I can think of in Apex where I like the bbq is Danny's - and I prefer the Morrisville location over the Cary one, as it's bigger and (to me) it's cleaner.

Both locations are not far from Apex. I prefer brisket to pork BBQ, but have had both at Danny's and like them enough to recommend them. I also love their potato salad.

However, my favorite bbq places are not in Apex. My all-time favorite bbq place was The Barbecue Joint in Chapel Hill, but it's closed now. Second after that would be The Pit in Downtown Raleigh, and a very close third is the Smokehouse at the Aviator Brewing Co. in Fuquay.

The common denominator with all of these places is that their meats are VERY smoky. I like a very strong smoke flavor in my BBQ, whether it's pork, chicken or brisket.

Have fun!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM

533 posts, read 973,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Their BBQ is (at least) "pretty good", but their mac-n-cheese is like nectar from the Gods!
This is my favorite place too, and oh the mac & cheese...so good!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 PM

3,278 posts, read 4,947,091 times
The farthest west one can go to eat "eastern NC" style BBQ is Stephenson's BBQ on NC50, near the intersection of NC210 at McGee's Crossroads.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 PM

3,152 posts, read 3,817,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
I wasn't crazy about Backyard BBQ (sorry y'all) when I tried it a few years ago ... the only place I can think of in Apex where I like the bbq is Danny's - and I prefer the Morrisville location over the Cary one, as it's bigger and (to me) it's cleaner.
If the OP wants to treat guests to NC BBQ, Danny's is not the place (as they note on their menu). I really like B's in Greenville, but that's a drive and you have to get there early. Clyde Cooper's in downtown Raleigh is good.

If you haven't seen it yet, here is a great "review of BBQ"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Old 10-07-2013, 04:30 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,470,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
If the OP wants to treat guests to NC BBQ, Danny's is not the place (as they note on their menu). I really like B's in Greenville, but that's a drive and you have to get there early. Clyde Cooper's in downtown Raleigh is good.

If you haven't seen it yet, here is a great "review of BBQ"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY
I almost typed the exact same thing, but left it at my Mac and Cheese comment.

ANother place to check close by is Allen and Sons. Not the one on 15/501 in Pittsboro, but the one near Hillsboro. Yum!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,237,576 times
I second the Aviator Smokehouse if you're staying close to Apex.

Sorry...I still don't see what people like about "The Pit" in Raleigh. I don't think que was ever meant to be "upscale".

Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM

219 posts, read 411,232 times
It's not the place I like, it's the food. I'd just as soon carry it out as eat it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I second the Aviator Smokehouse if you're staying close to Apex.

Sorry...I still don't see what people like about "The Pit" in Raleigh. I don't think que was ever meant to be "upscale".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary