U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:32 AM

31,596 posts, read 55,320,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We chose this floor plan mostly for the galley style kitchen (form follows function) and the builder's willingness to put in a professional style range. The sink is directly across from the stove. I'm not worried about how to fill the stock pot, I want to carry it the shortest distance possible to dump it. We don't need a pot filler, we need someone to develop a way to drain the sucker without having to carry it! I don't get all the pretty design features if you have big furniture style legs to contend with on the island, cabinets to small to be functional and a severe lack of usable counter space.
Most people do not actively cook anymore, but still need a kitchen to visually impress visitors.

I look at work triangles in the kitchen, and in some homes, I wonder how homeowners could fry an egg without working up a healthy sweat.

Draining the stock pot? You have myriad options.
And a portable bilge pump may be just the ticket.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...boat&FORM=IGRE

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-10-2013 at 04:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 AM

33,061 posts, read 26,880,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We chose this floor plan mostly for the galley style kitchen (form follows function) and the builder's willingness to put in a professional style range. The sink is directly across from the stove. I'm not worried about how to fill the stock pot, I want to carry it the shortest distance possible to dump it. We don't need a pot filler, we need someone to develop a way to drain the sucker without having to carry it! I don't get all the pretty design features if you have big furniture style legs to contend with on the island, cabinets to small to be functional and a severe lack of usable counter space.
Well. We fill it on the stove and it can be dumped into the prep sink. I rarely lift a full stock pot anymore, but if I need to, that's what I do.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,720 times
Me and the Mrs. also went to the Parade of Homes last weekend and had a great time!

I agree, it's a good way to see what builders are in the area. I feel as if some of the realtors hanging out in the houses didn't know how some of these builders worked. for example, does either Baker Residential or Jordanbuilt allow modifications to floor plans? i know the tract builders don't do that at all. Does Aston Woods allow this?

We also don't plan on buying for another 2-3 years because of our financial status -what's the best way to keep in mind future neighborhoods, especially in the West Cary area? We talked to the nice girl at the Baker Residential who said they are looking to buy a parcel of land in the next year or 2 in West Cary but don't have any concrete areas yet. I guess it's good to just keep in touch with the builders and see where new neighborhoods will start? THanks for the help -this gets confusing as we want to prepare well but also this is a few years down the road.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:29 PM

33,061 posts, read 26,880,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverHouse View Post
Me and the Mrs. also went to the Parade of Homes last weekend and had a great time!

I agree, it's a good way to see what builders are in the area. I feel as if some of the realtors hanging out in the houses didn't know how some of these builders worked. for example, does either Baker Residential or Jordanbuilt allow modifications to floor plans? i know the tract builders don't do that at all. Does Aston Woods allow this?

We also don't plan on buying for another 2-3 years because of our financial status -what's the best way to keep in mind future neighborhoods, especially in the West Cary area? We talked to the nice girl at the Baker Residential who said they are looking to buy a parcel of land in the next year or 2 in West Cary but don't have any concrete areas yet. I guess it's good to just keep in touch with the builders and see where new neighborhoods will start? THanks for the help -this gets confusing as we want to prepare well but also this is a few years down the road.
Jordanbuilt is not a tract builder. They are more semi-custom, I suppose you could say. They'd probably say they are custom and they would do modifications.

Baker Residential is semi-custom and they call themselves semi-custom. They WILL do some modifications. You have to ask to see. I suspect structural ones might not be allowed, but I'd check. A rep from Baker can tell you exactly what they can and cannot do.

p.s. there is very little land out in West Cary at this point, but I suppose someone will latch on to something near there and call it West Cary even if it's in Chatham county.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 PM

226 posts, read 520,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverHouse View Post

If you're not buying for another 2-3 years it's practically impossible to predict what neighborhoods and what builders will be available. Your best bet is to find several builders you like and check their website or visit them in 2015 to see what's "coming soon".

Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,440,682 times
I was pleasantly surprised to see 2 models in Carolina Arbors (Del Webb > 55 community near Brier Creek) on the Parade of Homes.

One is the larger of the smaller Passport Series - Taft Street, 1568 sq ft, all one level.
The second is the Sonoma Cove 2536 sq ft PLUS second floor loft, BR and BA totaling over 3000 sq ft.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:50 PM

25 posts, read 59,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Jordanbuilt is not a tract builder. They are more semi-custom, I suppose you could say. They'd probably say they are custom and they would do modifications.

Baker Residential is semi-custom and they call themselves semi-custom. They WILL do some modifications. You have to ask to see. I suspect structural ones might not be allowed, but I'd check. A rep from Baker can tell you exactly what they can and cannot do.

p.s. there is very little land out in West Cary at this point, but I suppose someone will latch on to something near there and call it West Cary even if it's in Chatham county.

Baker do allow structural modification (e.g. bump out), however their willingness to do that was just okay the process was a bit hassle in my experience. Be prepared to PAY for the non-standard request, as their markup is high .

Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM

8,708 posts, read 8,352,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We were in 7 or 8 custom homes on Sunday, $550,000 and up, and it appears that functional kitchen design is a lost art.

They all seemed like "pizza kitchens." I.e., counter space for 6-8 Domino's boxes, but don't dare try to cook.
Kitchens can be the single most costly room in a house, so builders often try to limit costs there. To do it up the way many people would prefer, may price them to high compared to competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary