U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 15,596 times

Advertisements

I signed the 2 years lease because the LL cheated me that there would be no early termination penalty if I inform her 3 months earlier. And, it said to use security deposit for re-rent penalty in the lease if breach lease happens. So I trusted her without any doubt when I put my signature on the lease. What a stupid decision!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM

8,354 posts, read 12,059,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
Also, I can't agree that a change of school district is not an urgent need or reason to relocate. I'm not familiar with the district the OP is talking about, but I know how I would feel if my son had to change schools, especially if the school he would be put into was subpar and/or bad for some reason. Kids in traditional school have only barely started the school year. So yeah, as a parent, it would be a big freaking deal to have this happen, and yes, I would move if I felt strongly enough about it.
It's not really pertinent to the lease, but Northside is a BRAND NEW elementary school this year in Chapel Hill. EVERY SINGLE STUDENT going there is there for the first time as of August 26. Everyone that was redistricted there was redistricted by neighborhood. So, if your child got redistricted there, so did the kid next door, the child down the street, etc. No one got redistricted there by themselves and none of it happened mid-year unless it was by choice. Everyone started on the first day of school with their neighbors.

Is it ideal to get redistricted? No. Is it a big freaking deal to be moved to a new school with your whole neighborhood where every single person in the school is also brand new to the school? No And all of this happens before school starts for the year? No.

This school does not have a bad reputation. It has no reputation. It's a brand new facility, a LEED certified school, with most of the staff coming from the various other elementary schools in the district. And it's in Chapel Hill which is arguably the best district in the state. URGENT? No way.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylily2004 View Post
I signed the 2 years lease because the LL cheated me that there would be no early termination penalty if I inform her 3 months earlier. And, it said to use security deposit for re-rent penalty in the lease if breach lease happens. So I trusted her without any doubt when I put my signature on the lease. What a stupid decision!!!
That was your first problem. Never agree to anything verbally in business. Get it in writing. Now you'll know for next time.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,237,960 times
Quote:
I just don't see how demanding you pay out the lease is even legal or enforceable. It will cost the person more to come after you legally than it would for them to eat their security deposit and re-rent the place. It may be worth seeking a third or even a fourth legal opinion to see if you can get a consensus.
If that were true there would be no need to sign any legal document. "Hey just stay as long as you want and leave when you're done".

LL would probably go after legal costs as well.

OP signed a lease that said they would be there 2 years. OP wants to break the lease early. As stated above the LL has to try to rent the place, but if it doesn't rent, then OP pays until it is rented.

Its called taking care of your responsibilities.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM

219 posts, read 411,309 times
As I said earlier, I don't know anything about this district or the school or anything to do with education in Chapel Hill. I wasn't making inferences or trying to slam the school, FFS. I have no stake in this. I was only going on what little information the OP provided.

Obviously this level of detail in the explanation changes things. If it's not a safety issue, I don't see what the problem is with the school.

Perhaps the OP will enlighten us.

For the moment I'll ignore the petty digs some have made about "taking care of responsibilities" -- something I know quite a bit about, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's not really pertinent to the lease, but Northside is a BRAND NEW elementary school this year in Chapel Hill. EVERY SINGLE STUDENT going there is there for the first time as of August 26. Everyone that was redistricted there was redistricted by neighborhood. So, if your child got redistricted there, so did the kid next door, the child down the street, etc. No one got redistricted there by themselves and none of it happened mid-year unless it was by choice. Everyone started on the first day of school with their neighbors.

Is it ideal to get redistricted? No. Is it a big freaking deal to be moved to a new school with your whole neighborhood where every single person in the school is also brand new to the school? No And all of this happens before school starts for the year? No.

This school does not have a bad reputation. It has no reputation. It's a brand new facility, a LEED certified school, with most of the staff coming from the various other elementary schools in the district. And it's in Chapel Hill which is arguably the best district in the state. URGENT? No way.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:00 PM

10,702 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joylily2004 View Post
Security deposits are for damages not for anything else.

I would think if there is no early termination clause in the lease, you are liable for the entire amount. The point of the lease goes both ways - they can't raise the rent on you and you are going to stay put for that amount of time.

It might be too late but in the past, I once had to break my lease. It was re-rented in under 3 days! I didn't have to pay a cent toward additional rent. If the LL can re-rent the unit you should not be forced to pay the entire sum. Work out a deal where you will pay until they re-rent it.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM

556 posts, read 718,027 times
Another really important factor to consider - the rental market in Chapel Hill is tied very closely with the UNC academic calendar. If you move out now, the house will almost certainly be vacant until December/January. It very likely might be vacant until May/June/July.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
As I said earlier, I don't know anything about this district or the school or anything to do with education in Chapel Hill. I wasn't making inferences or trying to slam the school, FFS. I have no stake in this. I was only going on what little information the OP provided.

Obviously this level of detail in the explanation changes things. If it's not a safety issue, I don't see what the problem is with the school.

Perhaps the OP will enlighten us.

For the moment I'll ignore the petty digs some have made about "taking care of responsibilities" -- something I know quite a bit about, thank you very much.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a dig about you. I was just trying to explalin the situation to show that it wasn't an urgent situation. I'm pretty particular about schools, and this would be a non-issue to me. It's certainly not urgent enough to break a lease.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 AM

15 posts, read 15,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a dig about you. I was just trying to explalin the situation to show that it wasn't an urgent situation. I'm pretty particular about schools, and this would be a non-issue to me. It's certainly not urgent enough to break a lease.
I have no doubt about the teaching quality in the new school-Northside. But I worry a lot about the environment and students population in the new school. Northside population data showed poverty >40% by bussing in 74A. The redistricted students are bailed at the first hint of school failure. If you are in Chapel Hill, you may know how may families/parents appealed for the plan of Northside school early of this year. Though, the school board choose to ignore the parents opinions.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM

117 posts, read 251,883 times
Security deposits can be used for unpaid rent.

- Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary