U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 5,933 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am a single female relocating to the Raleigh area in the next couple months. I grew up around the beaches of the Central Coast of California (Pismo, Avila area) and also spent a few years living in Tulsa. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as far as where it is safe to live, what kind of climate I can expect (beyond the obvious humidity!) and what there is to do. I have two small dogs so ideally I am looking for a home with a fenced yard vs. a condo. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,483,111 times
I would look in the Chapel Hill Carborro area. It is a University area and the people reflect the area. I spent time in San Carlos and Chapel Hill/Carborro would be my choice if I was single. I know that there are 50 other opinions regarding where to live.

The weather here is usually hot and humid all Summer (~mid May till October). Winters are mild with very few days not getting to at least 45F. Sometimes it will snow or sleet, but by the 3rd week of February, whatever was Winter is in the rear view mirror. You will need AC from ~mid May til ~mid October and you will use heat more often here than in SJ.

As you know the peninsula is really crowded and there is lots of shopping and things to do. The RTP comes up a little short when compared to that area and there is no SFO.

Beaches are ~3 hours and the mountains are the same.

Keep asking questions and others will fill you in.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM

Default Thank you!

The main reason I am transferring from San Jose is the crazy number of people living in such a small geographical space! I am looking forward to having a little room to move around and to not be in gridlock traffic where it takes 2 hours to go 45 miles. Appreciate the help!!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 PM

7,781 posts, read 6,136,961 times
45 minutes each way is a LONG commute here

we swim in the ocean and have sandy beaches, though it's further away - won't be as stunningly beautiful here as CA

we're not SF or any 2MM+ people metro area, but we have some of everything for everybody

what are your interests, and where is the job? Most people that move here from a major metro/job center can find something so much closer to work.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM

Default Interests..

I am into college sports, mostly football and enjoy all things outdoors. Growing up by the beach, it's not a necessity to be close to it. My job will be based in Morrisville so the closer the better! I am relocating for work which is in a male dominated industry so I am looking for an area to meet female friends as well...married or not

Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 PM

138 posts, read 208,379 times
I just moved here with my Husband and two kids, so it's not the same as the single life, but we love it.

We were previously in Los Angeles, where we also found the crowds and traffic (among other things) to be a bit crazy. After just a couple days of visiting we quickly zeroed in on the Cary/Apex area. Despite being called "towns" they are cities that have everything we need. We get the ease of heading into Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill if we want to, although we rarely do.

Between Cary/Apex the decision was easy for us- we moved where we found the house we liked! And although many homes here do have open backyards, many HOA's (or areas with NO HOAs) to allow traditional fences (some only allow small iron ones).

We've found the weather to be better than we prepped for. Yes, it's more humid, but to us it's not nearly as bad as Florida (which is what we anticipated). For us the roughest adjustment has been mosquitos! We are appreciative of screened in porches- at least we can get fresh air and not be eaten alive

If you can swing it I'd suggest you visit the area, and I think a lot of your location questions may be answered quickly. In addition, if you are looking for a specific type of job, maybe that could help you figure out where you'd have the best commute.

------

you responded at the same time i was typing...

If you will be in Morrisville I'd personally suggest Morrisville/Cary/Apex.

So far I've found many friendly people here. Hopefully the same happens for you!

Last edited by lifeofJenn; 10-07-2013 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM

31,645 posts, read 55,374,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Dee View Post
I am into college sports, mostly football and enjoy all things outdoors. Growing up by the beach, it's not a necessity to be close to it. My job will be based in Morrisville so the closer the better! I am relocating for work which is in a male dominated industry so I am looking for an area to meet female friends as well...married or not
Set up housekeeping in Morrisville.
Minimum commute, safe and convenient, and a very central launch pad from which to explore the entire Triangle for choosing a more permanent home.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 PM

7,781 posts, read 6,136,961 times
as Mike says - always move to the most central location possible that still gives you a short commute. that allows the easiest exploring on weekends/after work. and encourages the most far-fetched exploring, so you really do learn what all is out there for you.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM

33,112 posts, read 26,919,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Set up housekeeping in Morrisville.
Minimum commute, safe and convenient, and a very central launch pad from which to explore the entire Triangle for choosing a more permanent home.
I'm going to 2nd (3rd?) this advice.

If you plant yourself carefully in Morrisville (or the Morrisville side of Cary) you can be very close to Durham and Raleigh. Close to work and close to the two largest cities in the Triangle.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,386,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Dee View Post
People in RTP are very much into college sports and it's primarily centered on the rivalry between the local teams of Duke, UNC, and NC State. The struggles of these teams is a major topic of conversation for them.

You won't find the outdoorsy culture of CA in NC, the climate and geography just aren't as amenable to it. It's there, just not as prevalent. There is also less of a focus on health and fitness, and it is immediately noticeable in the midsections of the residents.

The culture in general is very different, and what you're like will determine how well you fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary