U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,535 times

Advertisements

I am from China, I am a student in UNC. I live in Shadowood Apartment in Chapel Hill, NC since August.

The thing is that we can turn in the check of rent between 1st and 5th day of each month. I TOTALLY turned in my check into the rent check box on the door of the office on the 4th this month, which is October.

And today I received a letter saying that my check was late and I have to pay a $50 dollar late fee. I went to the office immediately. There is a lady claiming she is the manager and "boss" of here. She just said that she didn't see the check on the 4th and she thinks I turned it in late.

The thing is she did not listen to what I said and she was very mad. I said no I didnt turn it in late. She said:"What? did you call me a lier? " Something like that. She was very disrespectful. And she said that I was
disrespect. And she said she don't want to talk to me and ask me to leave.

Despite her attitude. Can she just charge late fees like that? I ask her to show the proof. She does not have any. What should I do?

I ask her for her boss's number. She gave me a number. I called and the lady on the phone who claimed to be a regional manager. She said she will call them and after a few hours. She called back and said I still need to pay the fee. BS

Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 21,879,204 times
sorry . you will probably get stuck with the fee. It's her word against yours. From now on make sure you give her the check personally and get a dated receipt.
maybe you should check your bank statement on the off chance it was deposited before the due date.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
sorry . you will probably get stuck with the fee. It's her word against yours. From now on make sure you give her the check personally and get a dated receipt.
maybe you should check your bank statement on the off chance it was deposited before the due date.
Thank you Lamishra. The thing is not about a $50 fee. I felt like I was being bullied and I don't speak fluent English. And I was afraid that in the future this woman will charge me in all kinds of aspects. What should I do at that time? I mean, is there anything I could do in this situation? (they always deposit the checks after 5th)

Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
What if in the future there is a cig butt or dog waste outside which has nothing to do with me, and she said it is mine and charge me for it. I mean how can I pay for words that simply comes out of her mouth?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM

120 posts, read 209,157 times
If you are a student at UNC, they should have some kind of free housing legal advice for students. I doubt it's worth your time for $50 but it may help in the future.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenGuyInNC View Post
If you are a student at UNC, they should have some kind of free housing legal advice for students. I doubt it's worth your time for $50 but it may help in the future.

Thanks I will at least ask them for some advice. Yeah $50 does not really matter to me to waste my time and even more money. But apparently the manager and I do not like each other. And I really think she is the kind of person who will constantly annoy me with different kind of rules and charges from now on

Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 AM

5,704 posts, read 8,343,996 times
Sorry this happened to you. One thing you could do from now on is pay your rent online through their website (I just looked and they offer that) - that way you would have a record and this might not happen again.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:17 AM

14,364 posts, read 17,639,891 times
I'm sorry this happened to you and that you feel she is disrespecting you.

But look at the calendar. October 4th is a Friday. I'm going to guess that you deposited the check in there late in the day, the office was closed over the weekend (or they don't collect the checks until Monday), and they believe you dropped the check on Monday, October 7th before they arrived. Not a cool thing for them to do, but YOU need to do more to assure that you have proof that you've paid the rent on time.

As far as her disrespecting you, I've had experience as an HR manager where we employed foreign born employees, usually Chinese. Other staff, managers and even clients complained they were "difficult" to work with. After some discussion, it was discovered that the "difficulty" was due to the challenge of understanding what the Chinese employees were saying. Their ACCENT made it difficult for the US born people to communicate. It was frustrating and time consuming for both sides of the discussion.
And when the staff or clients were stressed or under a deadline, they did not have patience with the situation. (I don't agree with this deal at all, but it is the way it is.)

Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM

7,101 posts, read 5,270,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leodong View Post
What if in the future there is a cig butt or dog waste outside which has nothing to do with me, and she said it is mine and charge me for it. I mean how can I pay for words that simply comes out of her mouth?
Eh...I wouldn't worry too much about it. She sounds like many property managers I've dealt with; they act in the landlords best interests, not yours. Stay out of her way, she shouldn't be going on a witch hunt here, they just want to collect rent and fees when its late. Turning it in when you turned it in, you were flirting with "late." They want to make money, and the third and fourth key tenets to running a business successfully are "Collect Early, Pay Late."

She probably does the same thing to English speakers. I had something similar happen to me and I just had to eat the fee and remember to get it in earlier the next month. The thing is, that 4 days is basically a grace period, where its still late but not to the point that you get charged for it. And she could very well have looked in the box at 4:00 PM, and you dropped yours in at 4:05 PM, and you would be out of luck. I get that $50 is a lot for a student, but its probably best to pay it and be done.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:38 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,246,066 times
If its the first time you were late, simply ask her nicely to waive the fee. Otherwise find the landlord or management company and call for the regional manager or someone higher up the chain. In all cases, whoever you talk to, tell them this was the first time and ask them to waive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary