U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM

47 posts, read 94,773 times

Advertisements

Just moved into a new home in Holly Springs and need the following furniture as some of our current furniture did not fit or coordinate well and has mostly been sold.

2 couches
Recliner
Outdoor furniture for screened porch
Stand for HDTV
Sleeper sofa
3 kitchen stools

Is it worth taking a trip to High Point for cost savings? I'm trying to determine if we just buy from a store locally or if High Point would be the place to get the pieces. We've never been to High Point and have only been in NC for a year without any furniture needs. Maybe those with some experience buying furniture down here can comment. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:47 AM

5,357 posts, read 15,048,880 times
Most definitely worth it if you are looking for better quality furniture. If you just want "Rooms to Go" quality, then I may not bother.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM

26,837 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimman View Post
Just moved into a new home in Holly Springs and need the following furniture
2 couches, Recliner, Sleeper sofa
Outdoor furniture for screened porch
Stand for HDTV, 3 kitchen stools
Furniture Made in the USA

Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM

126 posts, read 218,253 times
We recently purchased furniture and went to Hickory, High Point, FurnitureLand South, etc, etc., looking for good deals. We were interested in one particular style made by one particular manufacturer (for our sofa) and were willing to travel just to be able to sit on this one sofa (which I saw on internet). My very lengthy search took me to Sherwood Furniture in Danville, Virginia.

This store carries all the major brands and beat the price - significantly - of every other store here in North Carolina. Since then, a number of friends have used them also. Service is great, price is great. I think there is a "myth" about NC furniture being a good deal! (although the furniture we bought was made in NC, shipped to VA, then delivered to us in NC). Another surprising thing - delivery was downright cheap. Free for one order, $50 for the next order. In all we bought 2 sofas, 2 chairs, one mattress.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Yes, and go to the clearance center first. We got a couch last month that literally was thousands off. Wasn't even looking for a couch, too good a deal to pass up! We also got a Rowe chair AND ottoman for less than $400.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM

7,693 posts, read 10,065,987 times
As far as NC Furniture being cheap, it really always applied to southern Virginia anyway, as there are lots of manufacturers there too. (or at least there were "lots" now there's something less than lots.)

Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM

47 posts, read 94,773 times
I guess we're taking a trip to High Point and VA!

Last edited by swimman; 10-09-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 02:46 PM

84 posts, read 119,666 times
I found that it was not really worth it, just due to the styles I was looking for. At least when I was there, I felt like it was a LOT of very traditional or very plain furniture... much larger in scale and more ornate than I was looking for (I was in the market for a bedroom set), or very generic "puffy leather couch" type pieces. I didn't see so much that had the cleaner lines I was looking for. There were a lot of really high quality pieces for good prices though.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM

219 posts, read 411,149 times
I took a ride out there a few years ago and was overwhelmed. If money is no object, and you want to be able to choose the fabric and the feet and the stuffing and all that individually and have some beautiful pieces custom-made just for you, you would find it worthwhile. I know people who have done so and are just thrilled to bits with the final product, although they did hate having to wait 2 months for things to be built and shipped.

I think my tastes just run a little more mass market, and I don't have $5000 to spend on a couch or a bed, so it wasn't worth it to me personally and I probably won't go again.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:04 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,497,824 times
We bought nearly a house full of furniture earlier this year, nearly all of it at FurnitureLand South. The prices were cheaper (I compared apples to apples), but not significantly on individual pieces. The more we bought, the bigger the discounts got. Shipping was free due to the amount we purchased. They had many manufacturers of mid-range stuff, tons of high end stuff, but little in the lower end price ranges.

We also went through the discount center and when we could find what we liked, we got GREAT deals.

Best reasons for buying there, for us, were that we could get everything delivered in one day (the day after closing on our house) so the house was completely furnished quickly; the sales person was helpful and patient (PM me for her name, happy to recommend); the selection was outstanding - massive - overwhelming; the prices were cheaper.

BTW, they started taking credit cards in January, 2013 for no additional upcharge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary