U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,541,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Pretty much!

Renting indefinitely is a mixed bag. The biggest drawback is that the house *almost* feels like ours but not quite. I would love to remove several bushes and trees for various reasons but we can't. On the other hand, the place works so well for us and we really do love it here. We have the benefit of living in a house without the worry of major system repairs. There are not any big surprises like that. Ever. Also, given the nature of my husband's job it is possible, even likely, that we will relocate somewhat frequently anyway. Not having a house to sell is a huge advantage. It all balances out and ultimately we would not still be renting if we really, truly, were unhappy doing so.

It is really hard going into a lease not knowing if you will be happy with the situation. For that reason alone, I recommend a year to start. We have been very lucky though. We have leased two single family homes and each time we stayed around 3 years.... (Still counting with this one). We never had the same luck with apartments.

The private school angle certainly gives you more wiggle room, since your kids will be making friends aside from the ones on your street. So when a move eventually happens when you purchase, they will not be completely uprooted like my kids would be.
We've rented apartments in Raleigh 24 years, eight in our current complex. It can work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM

8,370 posts, read 12,107,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eesmom View Post
any thoughts on pros and cons of renting longer than a year? I do understand Voltige's concern of feeling too settled, but are there other pros and cons of staying longer, like until June of 2015 rather than Dec 2014?
The only con I can see is buying in December might be tough with low inventory. Then again, there aren't many other lookers, so you have less competition. On the other hand, you might be able to go month to month from December on and then you can be more flexible when you find a house to buy.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:35 PM

120 posts, read 167,733 times
I think we are going to sign a year with a month to month. It will give us the flexibility that we would need. Thanks for your thoughts and input everyone! Things are really moving along and hopefully we will be settled into the rental by Christmas time!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM

9,996 posts, read 10,317,766 times
Quote:
we are going to send our kids to private school so we just want to finish out the rest of the school year in the local public school until next spring/summer so we can get them into the right school. I am using this winter and next spring to figure which school.
Applications to most private schools around here need to be in by no later than Jan (check with the school) as they start to fill out next year's classes then. Most charters draw their lottery in Feb. Don't expect to be able to wait until Spring to place your applications. You may find that the public schools here meet your needs, though. I'd try to rent in a school district you're curious about.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 PM

120 posts, read 167,733 times
Thanks poppydog. I do realize that some of the applications are pending soon. I am going to the open house for Willow Oak Montessori in December. As well as Carolina Friends in Nov. I would love it if at least my older DD got into the montessori as I know that she would do better in an alternate learning environment. My younger one is pretty solid wherever she ends up. I keep my fingers crossed on that!

I do hope that the public schools will be okay. I am a bit doubtful though as we are coming from Henrico county Virginia and we are at a top elementary school here and I do find it lacking in some respects. I think that is why I am seeking something different for them if I can find the right place.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 PM

30 posts, read 39,175 times
We are renting a single family home in Apex and we have dogs. I wrote a letter to the prospective landlord, explaining that we were responsible pet owners. Had to pay a pet deposit, but it was minimal. We put the "no dig" fencing around our patio area and its worked out really well ( our dogs are small). We started looking in May for an August 1st move in and it took a bit to find something we liked. Fortunately, we had a realtor who was willing to check them out as they came on, take pics and give us her opinion.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,741,603 times
Quote:
any thoughts on pros and cons of renting longer than a year? I do understand Voltige's concern of feeling too settled, but are there other pros and cons of staying longer, like until June of 2015 rather than Dec 2014?
In most cases the cost of the rental would be more than a mortgage payment even with little down. Interest rates and prices are on the rise, so the longer you wait, it will probably cost you more money per month on your mortgage payment. Find a rental and it should take you about 6 months or so before you figure out where you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary