Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 06:50 PM

10 posts, read 17,512 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend an affordable tutor or tutoring center in Cary? The school said that they could not recommend or hand out lists. I am also not certain or familiar with web sites such as Wyznt. Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,933,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2cary View Post
Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend an affordable tutor or tutoring center in Cary? The school said that they could not recommend or hand out lists. I am also not certain or familiar with web sites such as Wyznt. Any info would be appreciated!
I would think you would be interested in somebody with teaching experience or education in the particular field your student is having trouble with. With that in mind I would contact the nearest university which has a major in that area and see if they have list of people working part time as tutors. Many people getting masters make good tutors if they also know how to teach. We found a person with great credentials in the subject matter but she had no idea how to teach and it did not work out.
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:14 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,204,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I would think you would be interested in somebody with teaching experience or education in the particular field your student is having trouble with. With that in mind I would contact the nearest university which has a major in that area and see if they have list of people working part time as tutors. Many people getting masters make good tutors if they also know how to teach. We found a person with great credentials in the subject matter but she had no idea how to teach and it did not work out.
Good luck.
I agree. I used to teach in a district where most of the student population was at risk and considerably behind. We had a partnership with a local university where we'd take the lowest 3rd graders one hour each Wednesday to be tutored by students in the teaching program. While they were near certification, they did not have experience. So while the students got 1:1 assistance for an hour, it was no better than reading at home with Mom. You really need to find someone with experience teaching the subject matter. Knowing how to do something doesnt mean they know how to teach it effectively.
Some of the babysitting websites have tutors who can be background checked and post their experience. Sittercity, care.com I think is one. I was going to do this when I stopped teaching,but then I'd have to find someone to watch my kids since DH works nights, so that didnt work out.
Many of the teachers I worked with tutored after school. Wake Co. has a rule that you cant tutor students from the school you teach at, but if you asked teachers, they might be able to recommend someone too-maybe a teacher they know at a different school, or a parent who uses someone in particular.

Know what you are looking for in a tutor: some people are looking just for someone to provide homework help, etc. Some people want a "tutor" to actually teach or reteach, bringing their own lesson plans for something the child is not understanding. They are two very different styles of tutoring.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 PM

285 posts, read 492,120 times
I know families who have had good experiences with Aristotle Circle. They train top high school and college students to work as tutors and offer practice materials through their office.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,068,100 times
The local high schools have an official list of WCPSS teachers that tutor on the side, they just can't tutor anyone from their own school. Contact your closest wcpss high school and ask them for it.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 AM

621 posts, read 980,083 times
Not sure about MS but at the ES level we got a list of WCPSS teachers who tutor in various subjects. You can try contacting the MS counselor for a similar list or just look up names of teachers at various MS in your area and email them.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 11,853 times
Honestly, try Craigslist. Many of the tutoring centers require a contract and a certain # of hours worked per week so teachers cannot commit to the requirements. Also Care.com offers local tutors

Old 10-20-2013, 06:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,896,516 times
We've always used teachers as tutors. Never had difficulty finding one who did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary