U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:29 PM

42 posts, read 44,128 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Raleigh area soon due to my husbands job. For budget reasons, we are looking into clayton. The homes are lovely and within our price range. however, we have 2 school aged children and our realtor has told us to focus on the cleveland side of clayton primarily because the schools are "better" in that area.

We are coming from out of state, and not familiar with the area at all (we will be taking a trip over first to look at some homes for sale). I could use some help with this situation. aren't all the schools 'equal' in clayton? apparently they are not, since she is steering us towards princeton, selma and other areas we are not familiar with.

I would love to hear your thoughts on clayton, the cleveland side and otherwise... are there really better schools in the cleveland part? if that is true, can someone tell us what to watch out for if we relocate to the 'bad part' of clayton?

BTW, i only take 'greatschools' with a grain of salt. doesn't always give you the truest picture. i have 'out of the box' learners and am not a big believer in 'teaching to the test'. (but thats a whole 'nother thread).

thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM

789 posts, read 1,596,955 times
I didn't think realtors were allowed to give you advice about the schools. The Cleveland schools are great, but there are great schools all over Clayton. Princeton and Selma might be kind of far for a Raleigh commute, but I don't know anything about those schools.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
I didn't think realtors were allowed to give you advice about the schools. The Cleveland schools are great, but there are great schools all over Clayton. Princeton and Selma might be kind of far for a Raleigh commute, but I don't know anything about those schools.
This particular realtor seems to be 'steering' us towards certain areas. We have friends who live in Clayton (cleveland schools) and they too have mentioned we 'might like it better in the cleveland part'. I am just trying to understand what this means.

From what we see 'online' from 'afar', clayton looks lovely in all the different areas. I was just a little taken aback when I heard both my friends and the realtor talk about the cleveland part.

just hoping more people could chime in. we want to avoid a bad area.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,793,845 times
Hmm. I don't know much, but I've lived in Clayton just over a year-nowhere near the Cleveland area. It seems your Realtor may have an ulterior motive, but what do I know. I'd think they would show you different areas of Clayton and let you decide for yourself. From the school my kids attend, I can say it is quite different than what they had up north in the Midwest. It's much more "traditional" and less "student-centered". this bothered me as a 15 year teacher (until a few months ago) but they're surviving and don't mind the school. My 8th grader hated the school she went to in WI-not the school or curriculum, but more the kids' attitudes. She doesn't complain about the kids here. The 6th grader has had some issues with cliques and being excluded, but she has a couple friends. My 1st grader has Down syndrome, so he can't tell me much about his day as he's mainly non-verbal, but he LOVES going to his school.
My neighbors just moved a few this spring to the Flowers Plantation neighborhood and they love it and are happy with the middle school over there-and I've heard good things about the elementary schools over there too. I even talked to someone with a child at Cooper, which is not one of the higher performing ones in the city, and she had nothing but positive things to say about the school. I wouldn't focus on only one area but check out several-Clayton is a large "small" town.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Hmm. I don't know much, but I've lived in Clayton just over a year-nowhere near the Cleveland area. It seems your Realtor may have an ulterior motive, but what do I know. I'd think they would show you different areas of Clayton and let you decide for yourself. From the school my kids attend, I can say it is quite different than what they had up north in the Midwest. It's much more "traditional" and less "student-centered". this bothered me as a 15 year teacher (until a few months ago) but they're surviving and don't mind the school. My 8th grader hated the school she went to in WI-not the school or curriculum, but more the kids' attitudes. She doesn't complain about the kids here. The 6th grader has had some issues with cliques and being excluded, but she has a couple friends. My 1st grader has Down syndrome, so he can't tell me much about his day as he's mainly non-verbal, but he LOVES going to his school.
My neighbors just moved a few this spring to the Flowers Plantation neighborhood and they love it and are happy with the middle school over there-and I've heard good things about the elementary schools over there too. I even talked to someone with a child at Cooper, which is not one of the higher performing ones in the city, and she had nothing but positive things to say about the school. I wouldn't focus on only one area but check out several-Clayton is a large "small" town.
what does that mean, 'less student centered'? that bothers me too...A LOT. I don't think we can afford flowers...if what the realtor told us, it's a $200 a month HOA. we want to stay away from any 'intrusive' hoa's. seems the triangle area in general is all sub divisions with some sort of hoa attached to it.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 AM

15,755 posts, read 24,005,969 times
If your friends specifically told you something, why don't you ask them for clarification?

"you might like Cleveland better"

"why"?

And if you don't like your realtor, or don't trust them, or aren't getting your questions answered properly, get a new one. It's hard to move without the valuable input a GOOD realtor can provide.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 AM

248 posts, read 372,406 times
Hmm. I live in Flowers Plantation, and My HOA dues are somewhere around $230 a year. I cant remember exactly; they are due once a year. I have never heard of anyone having problems with our HOA; you are supposed to get permission before landscaping, etc, but I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble from the HOA (I would guess most people do not get permission from them before putting up fences, etc). There is a WIDE variety of neighborhoods and prices in Flowers Plantation, all the way from starter homes to gated communities. If you do not like a HOA, there are still areas around here that go to the same schools, which are not part of the Flowers Plantation.

Also, Princeton and Selma and NO WHERE near the Cleveland part of Clayton. I am guessing that Princeton and Selma are much more traditional and not as fast growing as Clayton. For resale, I would rather buy in a growing community. Princeton is east of Smithfield, and Selma is between Clayton (the Flowers Plantation part, not Cleveland) and Smithfield.

With regards to schools, Cleveland does have a great reputation. There are other school areas as well in Clayton, feeding into either Clayton High and Corinth Holder High. Look into threads about these schools. I would not ever send my children to SSS (Smithfield Selma High School). I would determine what schools that an area is slated to attend, and visit them. You can tell a lot just by a visit.

Last edited by claytonmom; 10-10-2013 at 05:47 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 AM

31,641 posts, read 55,374,605 times
Many people like ncschoolreportcard.org better than greatschools.

District Search Results Page

Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,700,053 times
did you visit the areas yourself without the realtor? You should do that.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 AM

248 posts, read 372,406 times
Not sure where you will be working. Commute times are also a consideration when determining where to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary