U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,204,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Sign just means you are heading North to get to 540 and 70.
Huh? Can you cite another example where the exit ramp itself is given its own direction that differs from the designated route direction for the highway you are entering? This makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 PM

7,823 posts, read 6,171,055 times
all even numbered state highways & interstates are east-west. odd numbered are north-south.

In this case, I can only imagine they were trying to let drivers know the road will be headed north for a couple of miles, in case they're checking their car compass or somesuch. What's worse is that the sign doesn't even say "North Raleigh" or "Wake Forest" at that point (of course, what might it say further back at the exit sign, not the split? You could just tell them to split left)

Thankfully we now almost all have either a car GPS or a smartphone.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,975,904 times
Who gives directions these days? Don't they have google maps on their phone?

Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM

the sign before the exit, according to my own just-completed directions search says "East 540". tell her to split left.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:42 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,204,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
In this case, I can only imagine they were trying to let drivers know the road will be headed north for a couple of miles, in case they're checking their car compass or somesuch.
Then why not tell drivers headed the other way that the road goes "South" for several miles?"

North 540 ?? so confused..-sign.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM
DPK

3,178 posts, read 3,454,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Huh? Can you cite another example where the exit ramp itself is given its own direction that differs from the designated route direction for the highway you are entering? This makes no sense to me.
I don't see why I need to cite another example of this for what is just reading what the sign is telling me. It's saying that if I take this one fork in the road, I will be driving North, which will take me to 540 and 70.

People over think things.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:20 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,885,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
all even numbered state highways & interstates are east-west. odd numbered are north-south.

In this case, I can only imagine they were trying to let drivers know the road will be headed north for a couple of miles, in case they're checking their car compass or somesuch. What's worse is that the sign doesn't even say "North Raleigh" or "Wake Forest" at that point (of course, what might it say further back at the exit sign, not the split? You could just tell them to split left)

Thankfully we now almost all have either a car GPS or a smartphone.
That's the case with 2-digit interstates. For 3-digit interstates, if the initial number is even, it's a bypass or loop beltway and if it's odd, it's a spur. Thus I-540 is a spur (although the initial plan once the loop was completed would have been to renumber and resign it as I-640)

Old 10-11-2013, 01:33 PM

2,807 posts, read 3,780,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I don't see why I need to cite another example of this for what is just reading what the sign is telling me. It's saying that if I take this one fork in the road, I will be driving North, which will take me to 540 and 70.

People over think things.
That's not how that layout is intended to be read though. It's not "North to 540 and 70", it's "North 540" and "To 70".

Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Then why not tell drivers headed the other way that the road goes "South" for several miles?"

Attachment 119279
a. I've never told you how much I admired your status.
b. 540 the other way actually is west or southwest for a couple of miles.
c. I was just speculating.
d. the only thing else of value I can contribute is to let folks know about the even/odd rule. IOW, there never ever should have been a "North 540" sign

Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
That's the case with 2-digit interstates. For 3-digit interstates, if the initial number is even, it's a bypass or loop beltway and if it's odd, it's a spur. Thus I-540 is a spur (although the initial plan once the loop was completed would have been to renumber and resign it as I-640)
that might be quite valuable information. but even/odd is based on the 0, not the 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary