U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2013, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,590 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Reputation: 30145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Perhaps not. I've wondered why NCDOT has never put a number on the Wade Avenue Extension, other than the hidden designation of SR 1789. Calling it NC 140 or 340 would help people navigate there.
I was under the impression that Wade Avenue Extension was originally the route of I-40, terminating at the 440 interchange.
No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM
 
2,031 posts, read 2,365,679 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I was under the impression that Wade Avenue Extension was originally the route of I-40, terminating at the 440 interchange.
No?
Yes, I-40 in eastern North Carolina has had a tortuous history. Originally, the eastern terminus of I-40 was in Greensboro at the I-85 interchange (it's now Business I-85). Raleigh was not connected to the Interstate system in any way. Then a disconnected segment of I-40 was opened between downtown Durham and Wade Avenue in Raleigh, connecting with what was then the US 1 bypass around Raleigh.

In the mid 1980s, a new expressway opened between the Wade Avenue split and Cary/south Raleigh; this became I-40, and the existing expressway between the Wade Avenue split and Wade Avenue lost its publicized number. Soon thereafter, a "new" I-40 opened between Davis Drive in RTP and I-85 near Mebane; the original expressway through downtown Durham was renamed NC 147.

There had been a big political battle between New Bern/Morehead City and Wilmington about where an eastward extension of I-40 from Raleigh should go. Wilmington won. In the late 80s and early 90s, I-40 opened in stages to Wilmington.

The last missing link was to finish NC 147 in from Swift Avenue in Durham westward to connect with I-85. So, if you drive from Greensboro to downtown Raleigh via downtown Durham and Wade Avenue, you are actually on two former segments of I-40 (from downtown Durham to the NC 147/I-40 interchange in RTP, and from the Wade Avenue split to Wade Avenue).

Last edited by wizard-xyzzy; 10-13-2013 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,590 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Reputation: 30145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Yes, I-40 in eastern North Carolina has had a tortuous history. Originally, the eastern terminus of I-40 was in Greensboro at the I-85 interchange (it's now Business I-85). Raleigh was not connected to the Interstate system in any way. Then a disconnected segment of I-40 was opened between downtown Durham and Wade Avenue in Raleigh, connecting with what was then the US 1 bypass around Raleigh.

In the mid 1980s, a new expressway opened between the Wade Avenue split and Cary/south Raleigh; this became I-40, and the existing expressway between the Wade Avenue split and Wade Avenue lost its publicized number. Soon thereafter, a "new" I-40 opened between Davis Drive in RTP and I-85 near Mebane; the original expressway through downtown Durham was renamed NC 147.

There had been a big political battle between New Bern/Morehead City and Wilmington about where an eastward extension of I-40 from Raleigh should go. Wilmington won. In the late 80s and early 90s, I-40 opened in stages to Wilmington.

The last missing link was to finish NC 147 in from Swift Avenue in Durham westward to connect with I-85. So, if you drive from Greensboro to downtown Raleigh via downtown Durham and Wade Avenue, you are actually on two former segments of I-40 (from downtown Durham to the NC 147/I-40 interchange in RTP, and from the Wade Avenue split to Wade Avenue).
A history lesson!
Thanks!

Now...
North Salem Street in Apex.
Was that once Old US 1 from about Laura Duncan to Davis Drive, passing the front of the church and the punkin patches?
Or has it always followed Old Apex Road, past the office condos and Stock Building Supply, meeting the 64 West ramp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,801 posts, read 3,761,512 times
Reputation: 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Yes and no here - again the sign is that it's North to I-540, not North I-540.
Disagree with you here...it says "540 North" and "To 70", not "North to 540 and 70". There's no sign convention for the latter interpretation. It is simply an exit for 540 North (which should be East), with an additional trailblazer designation of "To 70" in order to help people find their way to 70.

In concept, there would be no problem with them calling it 540 North there, but the sign is clearly outdated or in error, as I-540 is currently designated East/West along its entire length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I was under the impression that Wade Avenue Extension was originally the route of I-40, terminating at the 440 interchange.
No?
My understanding is that the Wade Avenue Extension was never actually signed as "I-40" because it never met Interstate standards. Instead, it was signed as "To I-40" back when I-40 didn't go beyond the current Wade Ave split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Finally of RTP, NC!
49 posts, read 133,772 times
Reputation: 74
540 is a confusing road. There's actually three separate 540s. Interstate 540 runs from just west of exit 283 of I-40 to US 64 East of Raleigh, and is signed East-West. NC 540 is the 2.5 mile stretch between Exit 1 of I-540 and 147, and is also signed East-West. NC 540-TOLL is the road running from the southern end of 147 into Apex, and is signed North-South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 01:06 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,734 times
Reputation: 14
The sign which you are referencing was replaced about a year ago with a very large sign correcting the direction to east as well as including many other routes to which I-540 connects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 01:32 AM
DPK
 
3,144 posts, read 3,427,541 times
Reputation: 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben94gt View Post
The sign which you are referencing was replaced about a year ago with a very large sign correcting the direction to east as well as including many other routes to which I-540 connects.
/thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 07:03 AM
 
1,476 posts, read 1,878,396 times
Reputation: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Disagree with you here...it says "540 North" and "To 70", not "North to 540 and 70". There's no sign convention for the latter interpretation. It is simply an exit for 540 North (which should be East), with an additional trailblazer designation of "To 70" in order to help people find their way to 70.

In concept, there would be no problem with them calling it 540 North there, but the sign is clearly outdated or in error, as I-540 is currently designated East/West along its entire length.
I concede to your correction and completely concur. I misremembered the sign when I posted, so apologies there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,801 posts, read 3,761,512 times
Reputation: 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben94gt View Post
The sign which you are referencing was replaced about a year ago with a very large sign correcting the direction to east as well as including many other routes to which I-540 connects.
Bingo...you can see the new sign on Bing Maps here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 AM
 
2,031 posts, read 2,365,679 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
North Salem Street in Apex.
Was that once Old US 1 from about Laura Duncan to Davis Drive
Several maps from the 1950s and before show US 1 on North Salem Street. This was before the original "super two" version of the current US 1 opened. That said, the layout of the junction of the old US 1 and US 64 went through many variations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top