U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM

4,036 posts, read 5,555,664 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that many of you assume that (I) the driver was just nodding off or not paying attention. Have you never tried to make a left turn with 10-20 cars coming in your direction? The driver has a responsibility to move only when traffic conditions warrant it. I did not realize that I was in a race with the people behind me every time I made a turn. I wonder what would happen if both the front car and one behind turned at the same time and collided? Would you impatient people be the first ones at the accident scene, ready to give assistance?

How about at a red light on a two lane road? Would it be ok to go "around" the car in front of you if they took too long to go through the intersection after the light turned green?

I have been properly chastised. From now one I will drive through traffic as it comes towards me, weaving back and forth through the cars until I make my left or right turn just so the rest of you can get your coffee a few minutes sooner.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,843,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
............I have been properly chastised. From now one I will drive through traffic as it comes towards me, weaving back and forth through the cars until I make my left or right turn just so the rest of you can get your coffee a few minutes sooner.
Thank you.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:30 PM

2,883 posts, read 3,192,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
I find that people have as strong and unrelenting opinions about driving habits as they do about crawl spaces.
And dogs whizzing along the sidewalk.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:36 PM

292 posts, read 418,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I find it interesting that many of you assume that (I) the driver was just nodding off or not paying attention.
I personally didn't assume or imply anything about your particular situation. I asked if you were in that category and you didn't respond. The rest of my comments were discussing folks who don't pay attention or lingering in the intersection painfully long periods of time or just being too careful not to spill their drink, which happens to be the case often (not all the time) when a driver gets fed up and makes the left turn. I didn't include you of in that category of people; I wasn't there, I couldn't see what happened.

You did mention having your coffee in one hand though, and the fact you didn't respond to my question might have made some suspicious.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
And dogs whizzing along the sidewalk.
Don't forget those doing a random drive-by whizz on a thread with a little sprinkle of their own off-topic mess hoping to leave their scent.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM

297 posts, read 488,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
Don't forget those doing a random drive-by whizz on a thread with a little sprinkle of their own off-topic mess hoping to leave their scent.
I think the only scent here is from people beating that horse that died a couple pages back.

Last edited by slim2none; 10-12-2013 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: rephrased in futile attempt to increase pith

Old 10-13-2013, 06:44 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,475,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
I personally didn't assume or imply anything about your particular situation. I asked if you were in that category and you didn't respond. The rest of my comments were discussing folks who don't pay attention or lingering in the intersection painfully long periods of time or just being too careful not to spill their drink, which happens to be the case often (not all the time) when a driver gets fed up and makes the left turn. I didn't include you of in that category of people; I wasn't there, I couldn't see what happened.

You did mention having your coffee in one hand though, and the fact you didn't respond to my question might have made some suspicious.
Just curious, how do you determine that it's this (someone not paying attention), versus the person who has just picked up their kid from the hospital, recovering from a neck injury, and needing gentle driving.

Ironically, the kid with the neck injury was probably mowed down by you while riding their bike, and now you want to try and kill them again. Give the poor kid a rest (and yes it is relevant to this thread, as your comments bear the context of your aggressive nature, and consistent history of stating that someone inconveniencing you somehow justifies you to put them at greater risk.)

Flame away, you seem to be a very reckless person.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 AM

659 posts, read 1,334,234 times
I was stopped behind some cars turning left from a two-lane road. I felt impatient when I realized no cars were coming but no one was turning? Then I saw the long line of geese crossing the road with their babies. The driver behind me didn't see them and decided to cut around us. Thank goodness he braked quick when he saw the geese. He was then blocking oncoming traffic as we all were stopped and looked pretty embarrassed. You never know what's going on - better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

I just remembered, years ago in my hometown, my dad was driving home from work and saw a baby crawling in the middle of the road! He picked it up and found it belonged to a house nearby!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
I was stopped behind some cars turning left from a two-lane road. I felt impatient when I realized no cars were coming but no one was turning? Then I saw the long line of geese crossing the road with their babies. The driver behind me didn't see them and decided to cut around us. Thank goodness he braked quick when he saw the geese. He was then blocking oncoming traffic as we all were stopped and looked pretty embarrassed. You never know what's going on - better to be safe than sorry, IMO.
That's why it's important to not be an overly aggressive driver and as you said, know what's going on before you make the turn. In this case the driver in front yielding to the geese should hit their hazard lights in order to properly communicate to the driver behind them.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 AM

33,066 posts, read 26,889,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
I think the only scent here is from people beating that horse that died a couple pages back.
And on that note...

Thread closed.

ETA: OP? I (personally) agree with you. Dangerous drivers tick me off. Unless they have lights and a siren, I will assume they do don't need to get anywhere fast enough to break with driving safety etiquette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary