U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM
 
19 posts, read 21,380 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Not long ago I was lucky enough to get a nice security camera kit from Amazon (I'm a reviewer for them and get all kinds of products for free). Unfortunately though it's a wired system so needs to be installed by someone that can run the wires through the walls. None of the guys I know feel able to handle this and I really can't afford to pay much due to major medical issues I've been dealing with over the last year (even with insurance, deductibles and co-pays have sapped my savings). I hate to not use it, it's a $650 system and being a single woman that lives and works at home I certainly would feel safer having some kind of security system in place. If anyone knows someone that might be able to help me out without charging me an arm and a leg, please reply or drop me a PM.

Mary Jo
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Reputation: 29256
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjo313 View Post
Not long ago I was lucky enough to get a nice security camera kit from Amazon
Unfortunately though it's a wired system...
None of the guys I know feel able to handle this...
Sell it.

If you actually need security cameras... buy a wireless system
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 01:44 PM
 
292 posts, read 418,810 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjo313 View Post
Not long ago I was lucky enough to get a nice security camera kit from Amazon (I'm a reviewer for them and get all kinds of products for free). Unfortunately though it's a wired system so needs to be installed by someone that can run the wires through the walls. None of the guys I know feel able to handle this and I really can't afford to pay much due to major medical issues I've been dealing with over the last year (even with insurance, deductibles and co-pays have sapped my savings). I hate to not use it, it's a $650 system and being a single woman that lives and works at home I certainly would feel safer having some kind of security system in place. If anyone knows someone that might be able to help me out without charging me an arm and a leg, please reply or drop me a PM.
One way of looking at it -- if you get a bad painter, plumber, hvac tech or carpenter, you will usually know it long before there's any potential for harm, because there will be signs of shoddy work. House not cooling/heating properly, wood not lining up right, paint peeling, pipes leaking, etc.

Electrical work is different: it is possiblefor things to be working while unbeknownst to the homeowner, big dangers are looming as a result of unlicensed/shoddy work.

For that reason (security system aside), if you decide to do anything "wired", even simple electrical work, get a reputable electrician to do it, not just friends who know enough to get things working.

There's a long list of DIY'ers that took on electrical projects, feeling clever about it upon completion, but never got it permitted or checked by a pro only to burn down the house or electrocute someone later.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:06 PM
 
152 posts, read 314,187 times
Reputation: 192
Does anyone have a recommended licensed electrician for residential work?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
545 posts, read 605,230 times
Reputation: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
Does anyone have a recommended licensed electrician for residential work?
Voltage Electric- Dennis Johnson 919-369-1272
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 AM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,189,378 times
Reputation: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
One way of looking at it -- if you get a bad painter, plumber, hvac tech or carpenter, you will usually know it long before there's any potential for harm, because there will be signs of shoddy work. House not cooling/heating properly, wood not lining up right, paint peeling, pipes leaking, etc.

Electrical work is different: it is possiblefor things to be working while unbeknownst to the homeowner, big dangers are looming as a result of unlicensed/shoddy work.

For that reason (security system aside), if you decide to do anything "wired", even simple electrical work, get a reputable electrician to do it, not just friends who know enough to get things working.

There's a long list of DIY'ers that took on electrical projects, feeling clever about it upon completion, but never got it permitted or checked by a pro only to burn down the house or electrocute someone later.
Does this really happen often - house burned down by DIY electrical work? House fires seem so rare and I hear more about cigarettes in trash cans, lightning strikes than electrical malfunction.

I'm also not sure it applies to OP's situation as the security system would be low voltage wiring which should not cause a fire even with exposed wiring.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 PM
 
10,700 posts, read 20,119,835 times
Reputation: 9859
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Does this really happen often - house burned down by DIY electrical work? House fires seem so rare and I hear more about cigarettes in trash cans, lightning strikes than electrical malfunction.

I'm also not sure it applies to OP's situation as the security system would be low voltage wiring which should not cause a fire even with exposed wiring.
My subpanel was (I assume) installed by a licensed electrician and (I assume) passed city inspection yet they didn't even put grommets on the holes when they ran wires in.

DIY'ing it I've done a few small projects and feel MUCH more secure about my work using folks on online forums for help than a quickie job by someone else. I did it "the right way" no expense spared because to do it right, only costs a couple bucks more yet it seems "the pros" skip it because it takes quite a bit more time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 PM
 
1,511 posts, read 1,728,959 times
Reputation: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Does this really happen often - house burned down by DIY electrical work? House fires seem so rare and I hear more about cigarettes in trash cans, lightning strikes than electrical malfunction.

I'm also not sure it applies to OP's situation as the security system would be low voltage wiring which should not cause a fire even with exposed wiring.

Homes burn down a lot due to poor electrical work. Cameras will need power in order to function which means it needs an outlet nearby.

OP just sell the system.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 PM
 
19 posts, read 21,380 times
Reputation: 15
As cheapdad said, this isn't really a job you would need an electrician for as it doesn't actually involve the home electrical system in any way. It's pretty similar to wiring up a surround sound theater system, just needs someone able to fish wires through the walls and ceiling, etc. But yeah, I may just have to sell it and hope I get enough for a decent wireless system that doesn't require cutting through my walls.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top