Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 AM

51 posts, read 412,772 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is going to be attending the Wake County School District job fair in a few weeks. Has anyone gone to this in the past? How early did you get there? How was your experience?

Thanks

Jesse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:35 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
I went in April. Get there early. They hand out numbers, and then you go in to schedule your interviews based on which number you are. If you are in the first 100, then you will be able to schedule more interviews than if you were number 350. Does that make sense? Bring tons of resumes, dress nicely, and have an idea of which schools you are interested in. Also, don't expect too much. Unless you are a sped teacher, you might leave feeling a little deflated. I am an elem teacher and there was a lot of competition. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:45 PM

51 posts, read 412,772 times
How early? If the doors open at 7:30am, how much before that do you need to be there?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 04:01 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
Well rumor had it that the number one person was in line at 5ish. I went to the Chapel Hill-Carborro one after the Wake job fair and knew I had better be there early. I was one of the first 10 there and arrived at 6ish.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:22 PM

104 posts, read 403,076 times
I went to the Dec and April job fairs. The December job fair is much less crowded than the April. Both times I was there super early. I arrived around 5:30ish and was number 30 something for the April job fair. I felt they were a waste of my trip from NJ and as a result, I'm teaching in another county. Too many broken promises.

Like previous poster stated, unless she is SPED it is very competitive.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,077 times
I was at the spring one, as well, and it was crazy! I got there at 7:30ish, and was in the 300s. Luckily, I got ONE interview, and I got that job! I don't think the fall one will be that crazy (but who knows), but as the earlier poster said - get there early, have plenty of resumes and a good game face, and know what you're interested in. Also - be prepared to go around and look at tables for information on openings - don't just rely on the brochure they give you. I was one of THREE social studies teachers hired at my school -- and they didn't have social studies listed as an opening.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM

144 posts, read 556,112 times
I agree with the get there early comment! I had NO idea how crowded it was going to be when I got there it is basically like herding cattle haha. Be prepared to stand in line for a long time. Know who you want to talk to. "do your research" I had 4 interviews that day but they were so spaced out that I had to wait around for a while. They have snacks which is nice since the day is so long. I checked the wcpss.net website before I went to see who had openings. I think December will be better than april since so many more people graduate/move in the summer. Tell her good luck!!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:24 PM

12 posts, read 50,949 times
I went to the middle school one in the spring, while my wife was at the elementary one. Yes, getting there early is important. Have your game face on; I was a little surprised to see teachers trying to cut in line and push past others. I would suggest sending your resume in advance with a cover letter to any school in which you might be interested. That way you might be more likely to get an interview when you get there. Like somebody said, don't just go by the postings they list; most schools had way more openings than the ones listed. Some couldn't officially post them or hire for them yet because somebody's paperwork hadn't gone through etc.

By the way, we both got jobs in Cary/Apex that day. Many other teachers got called days or weeks later with offers. Math, science, SPED, foreign languages, etc. have an even better shot. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:46 AM

9 posts, read 21,512 times
I agree that the December job fair isn't as fierce as the one in the Spring. Definately make sure you're dressed to impress. Everyone will be wearing suits. Get there in enough time to look over the job fair layout map that they give you to find out how to get to your choice schools quickly because interviews go FAST! And don't put all your eggs in this basket because only a few people walk away with any real job prospects!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
I went to the one in Johnston County in June and it was more crowded that I expected. My advice is to be CONFIDENT and get right to the point in the @5 minutes you have with each principal/vice. princ. And SMILE the entire time(even if you don't feel like it after waiting 2-3 hours in line to get in).

Oh---and don't bring your kids. I was amazed at how many people brought their kids....not a good first impression IMO.

BTW--I am a 2nd year teacher(in my late 30's) from New Jersey and I got 4 offers from the job-fair I went to in June.....so the jobs are there...however, as I said, I was in Johnston County, not Wake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary