U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 AM

6,395 posts, read 4,487,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
Breast thread yet!
I don't know, I find it to be quite lac-ing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:17 AM

138 posts, read 208,559 times
I like the name of the thread . It brought some fun to the topic!

I don't mean to go off topic with my answer here, because I am an advocate of breastfeeding, and a mother of two (both of whom I've nursed).

If what you are looking for is truly a church with a "proper" mothers room that is completely understandable, not just from a breastfeeding prospective, but also as you get a louder/fussier toddler it would be nice to have a place to take them (if you didn't want to send them to a daycare room). Unfortunately I'm new to the area, and don't have a suggestion on such a church, but good luck.

That being said, I'd also look towards various nursing shawls/blankets/covers. I will be honest, when I was still learning to breastfeed my first I HATED THEM. They were difficult to use and added a level of frustration to the situation. However, once the baby and I got the hang of breastfeeding they were easy to use and provided my the ability to feed the baby anywhere. With my second child breastfeeding came more easily and the learning curve was non-existant (what they say is true- each baby is different).

Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't find what you are looking for, I do however think it is possible for you to find ways to work with the situation if you don't find it, or decide you want to continue going to the same church.

It may also be worth asking the church if it would be possible to sit in another area where you could still see/hear, but have a LITTLE more privacy than sitting with the congregation.

GOOD LUCK!

and congratulations on your pending arrival =)

Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,961,988 times
My church has a room in the back of the sanctuary which is walled off but has a wall of windows into the sanctuary so that you can see the service. Because it is in the back, the folks in the sanctuary are generally facing away from you, though they could see you if they just turned around. The sound is also piped in so that you can hear.

We officially call this room the "chapel", and unofficially "the baby room" (though at many churches it may be called a "cry room"), and it is open to anyone who may wish for a smaller space to see and hear the service from, whether that is personal preference, or because you (or your child) may have a need to make a little more noise than you are comfortable making in the main sanctuary. Anyone is welcome in either space though.

The folks who use the chapel tend to be not only nursing mothers, but families with babies and toddlers in general. It is especially useful once babies start moving around, because they have space to crawl around the room, play with toys, and make normal toddler noises. (We do also have a nursery, for those who choose to use it, but many prefer to keep their young ones with them, particularly if they are nursing)

Mothers are free to nurse anywhere they feel comfortable in my church, whether in the main sanctuary or in the chapel or anywhere else, with or without a cover however they please. So when you say "pro-boob church", I think we would qualify in that way. However, it's in Durham, so not in the area you are looking for.

I'm sure there are other options for you though. You might consider attending a La Leche League meeting (or Nursing Mothers of Raleigh meeting) in your area and asking the mothers there what their experiences have been, and you might get some more focused local recommendations that way. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM

11,806 posts, read 27,483,960 times
My daughter was visiting when our grandson was 4 months old. We decided to eat at the restaurant that my other daughter works. She is a server.

Daughter took our order but while waiting, grandson got hungry. Daughter just whips out the boobie (but alerts her dad and brother so they can "look away"!

Another server makes a comment to my daughter, the server, about the lady at table #4 that just whipped out her boobie! Daughter laughs and says..."Yhea, that is my sister, she whips out her boobie whenever the baby wants to eat. We're used to it!".

Funny that once you ARE used to it, it doesn't seem to be such a big deal!

Oh yhea...for those of you that don't know this...that IS why boobies were created!!!

Vicki

Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM

35 posts, read 52,874 times
LOL Wow! I am sorry; I had no idea that so many would find merely the use of the word "boob" to be offensive ... shall we refer to them as "breasts" moving forward?? Will that make everyone feel a little more at ease? Or should we simply not mention their existence at all and erase all mention of them from the Bible as well?

For those on here who so quickly react to this post with their judgement, should the Church not be a welcoming place for all? How else would you, as self-proclaimed Christians and vessels of the Holy Spirit, help to spread the gospel? By putting down the actions of others? By being hypocrites and trying to keep others in their place with undue restrictions and burdens so that you can appear to be more righteous?

Breastfeeding is not a sinful act but a natural one. There is no need for you to make my post out to be something scandalous.

Breasts. Boobs. Boobies! Whatever you want to call them. If you are offended by the word alone then it seems to me that maybe you should evaluate for yourself why you have these uncomfortable feelings about something which was created by God for the function of nurturing and nourishing the child.

Now, back to my question ...

Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 AM

31,652 posts, read 55,431,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneparentinwake View Post
LOL Wow! I am sorry; I had no idea that so many would find merely the use of the word "boob" to be offensive ... shall we refer to them as "breasts" moving forward?? Will that make everyone feel a little more at ease? Or should we simply not mention their existence at all and erase all mention of them from the Bible as well?

For those on here who so quickly react to this post with their judgement, should the Church not be a welcoming place for all? How else would you, as self-proclaimed Christians and vessels of the Holy Spirit, help to spread the gospel? By putting down the actions of others? By being hypocrites and trying to keep others in their place with undue restrictions and burdens so that you can appear to be more righteous?

Breastfeeding is not a sinful act but a natural one. There is no need for you to make my post out to be something scandalous.

Breasts. Boobs. Boobies! Whatever you want to call them. If you are offended by the word alone then it seems to me that maybe you should evaluate for yourself why you have these uncomfortable feelings about something which was created by God for the function of nurturing and nourishing the child.

Before the helpful people reappear....

You done fine.

The unscandalized got plenty of chuckles today and are grateful.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 AM

151 posts, read 402,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneparentinwake View Post

I think you are over reacting. Most people were joking around. Perhaps you need to lighten up, maybe that will help your dilemma.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 AM

33,139 posts, read 26,953,686 times
Didn't the most recent GA make nursing eligible for an indecent exposure fine?

I forget how that panned out.

I personally have zero issues with nursing moms, but I will tell you that I'd rather some discretion be used. No need to wave your nipples in the air to breastfeed your child. I am about the furthest thing in the world from prudish, but in Vicki's scenario above, her table got a warning, but nobody else in that restaurant did.

I know nursing is natural. Best for babies. I nursed each of mine for varying amounts of time.

I also know that a naked breast is viewed as a naked breast, and NC hasn't quite gotten to the point that women can walk around topless, so attempts to at least be a bit discreet are more likely to be appreciated than not.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM

33,139 posts, read 26,953,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFran View Post
I think you are over reacting. Most people were joking around. Perhaps you need to lighten up, maybe that will help your dilemma.
I agree. I think this thread wound up rather lighthearted AND the OP has gotten some recommendations, too!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 AM

35 posts, read 52,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFran View Post
Fair comment, but I don't mind the jokes at all. I'm surprised by some of the comments but whatever. I'm 8 months pregnant and my hormones are all over the place and Christians are attacking my post because I used the word "boobs". I certainly see the irony in this post and perhaps it touches a little too close to home with some of the issues our family has with the Church establishment in general. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary