Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times

Advertisements

According to the article, the Triangle is one of the best places to raise a family:

Top North Carolina towns to raise a young family - Triangle Business Journal

Morrisville is #1 and Holly Springs is #3!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
Touche I agree!!!!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,081 times
Why is Havelock on this list?!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Why is Havelock on this list?!
That's what I was thinking. I've been to and through Havelock several times and I can think of hundreds of more places within NC where I would want have a family

Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,603 times
The Havelock lobbyists paid off the list maker.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:51 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Just stumbled across this, but obviously the comments about Havelock are from people whose experience with it chiefly consists of all of the stop lights on their way to beach. Using the criteria of the list (Quality of public schools, median home value, ongoing cost of home ownership, average income and economic growth), it earned it's spot. In what do you think it's lacking?

Old 10-14-2013, 05:12 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
According to the article, the Triangle is one of the best places to raise a family:

Top North Carolina towns to raise a young family - Triangle Business Journal

Morrisville is #1 and Holly Springs is #3!

Vicki
Four of their five criteria are based on income or economic growth. Back in the day we looked at other things as well.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
Not included in this list but Clayton is hard to beat!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Just stumbled across this, but obviously the comments about Havelock are from people whose experience with it chiefly consists of all of the stop lights on their way to beach. Using the criteria of the list (Quality of public schools, median home value, ongoing cost of home ownership, average income and economic growth), it earned it's spot. In what do you think it's lacking?
I was stationed near Cherry Point MCAS for several years and actually spent a decent amount of time in Havelock. I would be hard pressed to actually want to move there and raise a family by choice. It might not be as bad as some military towns (not as big as some), but I wouldn't categorize it as a "best place" to raise a family either. I don't want to get into what it's lacking since that's very subjective. I suppose it's crime rate is not too bad when compared to many other similar sized towns and it's much lower than most military towns/cities. For me the used car dealers, falling apart strip malls and strip clubs don't help it's appeal.

Last edited by Waterboy526; 10-15-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Havelock has exactly two strip clubs, which are pretty inconspicuous (look like bars) and are right next to each other in the same plaza. One of them has closed and open several time over the years under different management, as any attempts to open an adult video store have met with failure. The crime rate is far below the national average, especially violent crime. It's not that kind of place. Yeah it has more than it's share of car dealerships, about 7 by my count. It had also has affordable housing, great schools, and still close to the beach and everything in Morehead. Havelock is definitely one of those places where you always here criticism from people outside of the community, but nothing from the families that actually live there. I agree there is not much within the city limits itself. That may be one of the things that make it such a good place to raise a family. A big part of the low crime, low housing, and the community is pretty much centered around the youth and youth activities. Don't believe me go to the high school football game on Friday night, or one of the band concerts.

Full disclosure, I'm a graduate of Havelock High many moons ago. There were times I thought it was boring and hated it growing up, but looking back at my childhood and looking at the current state of my classmates and I, there is really nothing bad I can say about the place, objectively. Using objective criteria, is why Havelock made the list. Granted it's neighbors in Newport or elsewhere in Carteret County may have supplanted Havelock if it had employment (the base in Havelock is the chief decent wage payer for the area), and housing (Carteret County has more expensive housing and homeowner's insurance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary