U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM

101 posts, read 203,537 times

Advertisements

After a long weekend away (sans kids) with our best friends from NY, these are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Amazing.
2. Unreal food. No, seriously. This is a mecca for foodies.
3. NC's finest people-watching location.
4. So. Much. Craft. Beer.
5. See number 2.
6. Gorgeous scenery.
7. Blue. Ridge. Parkway.
8. The Biltmore.
9. See number 1.

In all seriousness, if you haven't been, get yourself and your significant other out west ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 01:53 PM

924 posts, read 1,740,901 times
1. I agree almost 100%. (While it's sacrilege to many around here, personally I think the Biltmore House is a bit overrated as a destination, though it certainly is a unique spectacle.)
2. What does this have to do with the Triangle, at least any more so than any other region within a few hundred miles of Asheville?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM

8,354 posts, read 12,057,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
1. I agree almost 100%.
2. What does this have to do with the Triangle, at least any more so than any other region within a few hundred miles of Asheville?
Probably that it's a good getaway for people who live in the Triangle.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM

1,356 posts, read 3,468,264 times
We love it as a getaway, too! Actually, just that whole area in general. We went to The Chalet Inn B&B near Dillsboro based off a mountain getaway thread here and it was so much fun that we sent my parents there this past weekend for their 35th anniversary. I love Raleigh, but the mountains are definitely a nice change of pace every once in a while!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:44 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,827,781 times
Haven't been there in years...time to plan a get-away. Glad that you posted your thoughts! Come to think of it, I did have the most tasty grilled tuna sandwich there.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,806,347 times
Where's you stay? I'm going in a couple of weeks.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,440,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
1. I agree almost 100%. (While it's sacrilege to many around here, personally I think the Biltmore House is a bit overrated as a destination, though it certainly is a unique spectacle.)
I've never heard anyone even suggest that the Biltmore is sacred to anyone in this area.

I've been there a few times. It is ok. Considering it doesn't have an open floorplan, no granite countertops and no stainless steel appliances and still has brass light fixtures...who would even buy it?!!

Vicki

Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,827,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Considering it doesn't have an open floorplan, no granite countertops and no stainless steel appliances and still has brass light fixtures...who would even buy it?!!

Vicki
Ha! ++ Rep! Funny!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Shirley Maclaine had a good time there! Remember Peter Sellers? He likes to watch. Every time I think about the Biltmore Estate I can't help but think of that funny movie filmed there. Being There.

We treated ourselves to a weekend at Grovepark Inn only to be next door to a screaming infant. Never again. But Biltmore is really beautiful in spring if you enjoy gardens and especially at Christmas for the Candlelight Tour.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 AM

33,057 posts, read 26,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Shirley Maclaine had a good time there! Remember Peter Sellers? He likes to watch. Every time I think about the Biltmore Estate I can't help but think of that funny movie filmed there. Being There.

We treated ourselves to a weekend at Grovepark Inn only to be next door to a screaming infant. Never again. But Biltmore is really beautiful in spring if you enjoy gardens and especially at Christmas for the Candlelight Tour.
We got married at Biltmore. Champagne Cellar at the Winery. Stayed in the Market Gardener's Cottage for our honeymoon. Husband and I had been to Biltmore together a couple of times while we were dating and we love the Blue Ridge Parkway. It fit.

We took a private tour of Biltmore while on our honeymoon. Our guide took us into all the rooms in the house except security. It was fascinating. Even went into the uppermost attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary