U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM

23 posts, read 27,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Totally off-topic:
My Daughter and SIL are in Foster City - where is that in relation to "...Palo Alto, Los Gatos and Cupertino of the Bay area..."? They re-located from Seattle ~2wks ago and are in shock. Seriously. If you were moving back, where would you go?

On topic:
My son and fiancée live in Cary near SAS and really like that part of RTP. She is Raleigh born and raised.

I am not sure what was shocking to them to be able to give an accurate answer, but in terms of schools in Foster City, the district is rated 7 and covers both Foster City and San Mateo. There are other districts near by that are rated 10. Cost of living is not the highest among the Bay area but its high in demand given that Visa's head quarters are in Foster City. Some homes will have view of the bay and will be very high in demand. Some people consider Foster City part of Silicon Valley although people originally from the area don't.

There are many areas in the Bay Area that are good spots to be. It all depends on what your needs are (Single, Married, Children, public/private schools, work, out doors , biking, rent vs. buy, apartment condo or single family home) Let me know if I can help in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I have to admit, I was surprised (had to look twice) at that statistic that was posted earlier:

Estimated median household income in 2011 Cary: $82,509 (it was $75,122 in 2000)
Estimated median household income in 2011 Chapel Hill : $58,860 (it was $39,140 in 2000)

From the research I've done, including here on city-data, Chapel Hill seemed to be the premier, expensive, sought after location in the Triangle area. I had the impression that the best schools were there (driving up prices of housing), professors and high paid professionals lived there driving the costs up. I had someone tell me that in order to get good schools for your kids, you end up buying in an area like Chapel Hill with expensive houses, which makes the move from a place like Northern Virginia not as good of a deal as many would think. Not sure if this was an exaggeration. Also, that CH had more established, walkable neighborhoods with more unique housing which would hold or grow in value rather than cookie cutter suburbia.. as I've seen some imply that Cary is. It seemed that people were implying that the draw of Cary is larger plots of land, new houses, cheaper, centrally located.

This is exactly what is puzzling us. To make it even worse crime rate in Chapel Hill is Higher. And once you look at the ratings for high schools it turns into a huge question mark.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 AM

9,966 posts, read 10,261,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
From the research I've done, including here on city-data, Chapel Hill seemed to be the premier, expensive, sought after location in the Triangle area. I had the impression that the best schools were there (driving up prices of housing), professors and high paid professionals lived there driving the costs up.
Exactly! That was the impression I was trying to counter. Chapel Hill/Carrboro does have higher taxes. We use the taxes to fund the schools (CHCCS has a much higher local funding rate than WCPPS) and a completely free bus system than runs throughout both towns, among other things. By and large, Chapel Hill/Carrboro is very progressive/liberal/democratic and folks actually want to pay taxes to fund important social programs and town endeavors. But it is not a premier, expensive, exclusive location in the sense of Martha's Vineyard or Palm Springs or something. It's a college town. There is a big push to continue to require affordable housing in new developments. The towns don't WANT to be an area of only rich people. (And academics, by and large, are not rich people.)

The public schools are excellent for North Carolina and quite good compared to the rest of the US—I'm not sure how they compare to schools in the Bay Area, specifically. That's not to say that there aren't good schools elsewhere in NC, but CHCCS is generally regarded as one of, if not the, best performing public school system in the state, but that's the system as a whole. What that says for any individual child is subject to debate. Certainly you can get a great education for your child elsewhere in the state and CHCCS might not meet your needs for whatever reason.

So, if a progressive college town with higher taxes and great schools is appealing then definitely check out Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but if that doesn't sound like you then another town in the Triangle, like Cary, Raleigh or Durham might be a better fit.

Crime is not a big problem in Chapel Hill or Carrboro (or Cary). It's mostly property crime, not violent crime, and often property crime of opportunity (cars left unlocked and belongings stolen from them).

Meshmesh, you probably have the correct data on this, but I just looked up the Chapel Hill profile on City-Data and for some reason they have the schools all messed up and have a bunch of Durham schools as being in Chapel Hill and are missing two out of the three high schools in CHCCS. So just to set the record straight, the CHCCS high schools are Chapel Hill High School (oldest), East Chapel Hill High School (built in the 90s) and Carrboro High School (about 5 yrs old now). All perform very well. I think NC Report Card, the state's official site, is the best place to look up school data.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-21-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM

34 posts, read 38,350 times
Just want to reiterate that Chapel Hill doesn't have a lot of crime. I would bet that most violent crime is of the typical college town variety--Fights after bars close, etc. I also think that someone made a very good point earlier that the performance of kids in CH doesn't necessarily mean the schools are better.

Sorry if I missed this, but are you moving here for a job? If so, the commute from Chapel Hill or Carrboro could be very different than the commute from Cary.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRDU View Post
Just want to reiterate that Chapel Hill doesn't have a lot of crime. I would bet that most violent crime is of the typical college town variety--Fights after bars close, etc. I also think that someone made a very good point earlier that the performance of kids in CH doesn't necessarily mean the schools are better.

Sorry if I missed this, but are you moving here for a job? If so, the commute from Chapel Hill or Carrboro could be very different than the commute from Cary.

Thanks for the clarification about the crime. And yes we are moving through a job transfer to RTP
Morrisville. Does this make an location better?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:46 PM
rfb

1,843 posts, read 5,013,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't think CH is particularly expensive. There are plenty of neighborhoods throughout the Triangle with more expensive homes, though not with higher taxes.
I've always found CH more expensive for a comparable home than other parts of the Triangle. That isn't to say you can't find a nice home throughout the Triangle area, just you tend to pay a premium for CH.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM

33,123 posts, read 26,931,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshmesh View Post
Thanks for the clarification about the crime. And yes we are moving through a job transfer to RTP
Morrisville. Does this make an location better?
If you want a very short commute (and around here, those are easy to find) your best bets are Cary and Morrisville.

If you are transferring to Cisco? Cary is really good for housing, low crime, and short commute.

You planned to rent an apartment in Cary first, yes?

I recommend Arboretum, Weston Lakeside, and (though they are brand new and I have yet to see the inside of one), The Bristol is a new complex at Parkwest Village in Morrisville (right at the intersection of Morrisville and Cary) that has started renting recently.

All of those are about 15-20 minutes from Cisco, depending on traffic.

Husband works there and we live very close to all 3 complexes.

Once you are here and you start learning the area, you'll see what really clicks for you and your family.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,432,745 times
Here is some useful information for comparing "affordable" housing across the Triangle. It also sheds some light on why the median household income in Chapel Hill is lower than some would have suspected. Source: April 2013 article in the Indy Weekly: "Affordable Housing Takes a Hit in Chapel Hill".

"In the past 11 years, Chapel Hill leaders have negotiated many deals to preserve affordable housing, a key priority in the town's 2012 comprehensive plan. In that plan, town leaders noted the majority of Chapel Hill's new construction favored high-end housing. Town leaders adopted an "inclusionary zoning" ordinance in 2010 that mandates developments of five or more housing units retain at least 15 percent of their units for low- to moderate-income housing. The number is 10 percent in downtown Chapel Hill.

According to a December 2010 housing study, the median single-family home price in Chapel Hill ballooned 45 percent from 2000 to 2006, rising from $287,000 to $425,000.

The prices and growth far outstrip most of the Triangle, except for Cary. In Raleigh, the median single-family home price rose 29 percent to $220,000, and in Durham, the price increased by 24 percent to $177,000.

The survey estimated 1,364 units, or about 5.7 percent of the total housing in Chapel Hill, is affordable. For perspective, U.S. Census data reported roughly 22 percent of the town's population lived below the federal poverty line from 2007 to 2011."

--> Note: Most of the articles about affordable housing in Chapel Hill that I have read focus on affordable rental housing - not affordable home ownership.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 PM

9,966 posts, read 10,261,473 times
Yes, the town(s) keep trying to pass regulations to limit growth and increase affordable housing. It's pretty tricky, though. the hoops developers have to jump through are already pretty complex, but it's hard for the town to restrict the high end development and yet allow affordable development. The developers want to build high end projects since there's more money in it for them so the towns' solutions are to require a percentage of the development to be affordable or for the developer to pay into a fund for affordable housing. The towns are constantly looking at this issue. It's a big concern and great solutions are not apparent. Here's a more recent article: CHAPEL HILL: Chapel Hill officials to hear affordable housing plans | Chapel Hill | ChapelHillNews.com

Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM

448 posts, read 583,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshmesh View Post
I am not sure what was shocking to them to be able to give an accurate answer, but in terms of schools in Foster City, the district is rated 7 and covers both Foster City and San Mateo. There are other districts near by that are rated 10. Cost of living is not the highest among the Bay area but its high in demand given that Visa's head quarters are in Foster City. Some homes will have view of the bay and will be very high in demand. Some people consider Foster City part of Silicon Valley although people originally from the area don't.

There are many areas in the Bay Area that are good spots to be. It all depends on what your needs are (Single, Married, Children, public/private schools, work, out doors , biking, rent vs. buy, apartment condo or single family home) Let me know if I can help in any way.
Also keep in mind, much of Foster City is built on landfill... during an earthquake that kind of land is the worst place to be.

I'm a CA native (hence my interest in earthquakes) also from the Bay Area, moved from Sunnyvale 4 1/2 years ago. Love it here in our old neighborhood in central Raleigh. But we're empty nesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary